The Steelyard, from the German Stalhof, was in the
Middle Agesthe main trading base of the Hanseatic Leaguein London.
It lay on the north bank of the
Thamesby the outflow of the Walbrook, its site now covered by Cannon Street Stationand commemorated in the name of Steelyard Passage. The Steelyard, like other Hansa stations, was a separate walled community with its own warehouses on the river, its own weighing house, church, counting houses and residential quarters. In 1988 remains of the former Hanseatic trading house, once the largest medieval trading complex in Britain, were uncovered by archaeologists during maintenance work on Cannon Street Station.
As a church the Germans used former
All-Hallows-the-Great, since there was only a small chapel on their own premises.
The first mention of a "Hansa Almaniae" (a "German Hansa") in English records is in 1282, concerning merely the community of the London trading post, only later to be made official as the Steelyard, confirmed in tax and customs concessions granted by Edward I in a "
Carta Mercatoria" ("merchant charter") of 1303. But the true power of the Hanse in English trade came much later, in the 15th century, as the German merchants, led by those of Cologneexpanded their premises and extended their reach into the cloth-making industry of England. This led to constant friction over the legal position of English merchants in the Hanseatic towns and Hanseatic privileges in England, which repeatedly ended in acts of violence. Not only English wool but finished cloth was exported through the Hansa, who controlled the trade in Colchester and other cloth-making centres [ [http://www.trytel.com/~tristan/towns/colchstr.html Medieval English urban history - Colchester ] ] . When the Steelyard was finally destroyed in 1469, the merchants of Cologne were exempted by Edward IV, which served to foment dissension among Hansards when the Hanse cities went to war with England, and Cologne was expelled from the League. But England, in the throes of the Wars of the Roses, was in a weak bargaining position, so despite several heavy defeats suffered by the Hanseatic fleet, the Hansa achieved a very favourable peace from the English commissioners in Utrecht in 1474. [F. R. Salter, "The Hanse, Cologne, and the Crisis of 1468" "The Economic History Review" 3.1 (January 1931), pp. 93-101.] In 1475 the Hanseatic League finally purchased the London site outright and it became universally known as the Steelyard, but in fact this was the last outstanding success of the Hansa [ [http://www2.hsu-hh.de/PWEB/hisfrn/hanse.html Prof. Rainer Postel, The Hanseatic League and its Decline ] ] . In exchange for the privileges the German merchants had to maintain Bishopsgate, one of the originally seven gates of the city, from where the roads lead to their interests in Boston, Lincolnshireand Lynn.
Members of the Steelyard, normally stationed in London for only a few years, sat for a famous series of portraits by
Hans Holbein the Youngerin the 1530s, portraits which were so successful that the Steelyard Merchants commissioned from Holbein the allegorical paintings "The Triumph of Riches" and "The Triumph of Poverty" for their Hall (Both were destroyed by a fire, but there are copies in the Ashmolean Museumin Oxford). Also there is a fine description of the Steelyard by John Stow.
The prosperity of the Hanse merchants, who were in direct competition with those of the
City of London, induced Queen Elizabeth to suppress the Steelyard and rescind its privileges in 1598. James I reopened the Steelyard, but it never again carried the weight it formerly had in London. Most of the buildings were destroyed during the Great Fire of Londonin 1666. The Hanseatic League was never officially dissolved however: consulates of the Hanseatic League cities provided indirect communication between Northern Germanyand Whitehallduring the European blockade of the Napoleonic wars. Patrick Colquhounwas appointed as Resident Minister and Consul generalby the hanseatic cities of Hamburgin 1804 and by Bremen and Lübeckshortly after in the following as the successor of Henry Heymann, who was also "Stalhofmeister", "master of the Steelyard". Colquhoun was valuable to those cities through the time of their occupation by the French until 1815. Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg only sold their common property, the London Steelyard, in 1853 [("EB" 1911: Lübeck)] . Cannon Street Station was built on the site shortly thereafter (1866).
The Steelyard gave its name to a type of portable balance, consisting of a graduated
horizontal metalbeam suspended on a chain. The whole balance would be hung from a roof beam. A heavy object to be weighed, for instance a sack of flour, would be hung on the shorter end of the beam, while lesser but known weights would be slid along the other, longer end, till the beam balanced. The weight of the sack could then be calculated by multiplying the sum of the known weights by the ratio of the distances from the beam's fulcrum.
* [http://www2.hsu-hh.de/PWEB/hisfrn/hanse.html Prof. Rainer Postel, "The Hanseatic League and its decline" 1996]
* [http://www.wga.hu/frames-e.html?/html/h/holbein/hans_y/1535/5born.html Holbein portrait of Derich Born, 1533] : one of the Steelyard portraits
* [http://www.german-embassy.org.uk/hanseatic_london.html German Embassy; Hanseatic London, 26 September 2005]
*Grant David Yeats, [http://books.google.com/books?id=hzwBAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA1&dq=Patrick+Colquhoun&as_brr=1#PPA1,M1 "A Biographical Sketch of the Life and Writings of Patrick Colqhoun"] , London: G. Smeeton, 1818.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Steelyard — Steel yard (st[=e]l y[aum]rd; colloq. st[i^]l y[ e]rd; 277), n. [So named from a place in London called the Steelyard, which was a yard in which steel was sold.] A form of balance in which the body to be weighed is suspended from the shorter arm… … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Steelyard — (spr. stīl jārd), s. Stahlhof … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
steelyard — [stēl′yärd΄, stil′yərd] n. [ STEEL + YARD1 (in obs. sense of “rod, bar”)] a balance or scale consisting of a metal arm suspended off center from above: the object to be weighed is hung from the shorter end, and a sliding weight is moved along the … English World dictionary
steelyard — noun Etymology: probably from 3steel + 4yard (rod) Date: 1639 a balance in which an object to be weighed is suspended from the shorter arm of a lever and the weight determined by moving a counterpoise along a graduated scale on the longer arm… … New Collegiate Dictionary
steelyard — /steel yahrd , stil yeuhrd/, n. a portable balance with two unequal arms, the longer one having a movable counterpoise and the shorter one bearing a hook or the like for holding the object to be weighed. [1630 40; STEEL + YARD1] * * * … Universalium
steelyard — noun a) A transportable balance with unequal arm lengths. b) A place where steel (and possibly other metals as well) is stored and sold … Wiktionary
Steelyard — See Hanseatic League … Dictionary of Medieval Terms and Phrases
steelyard — steelÂ·yard || stÉªËljÉ‘rd / jÉ‘Ëd n. portable hanging balance … English contemporary dictionary
steelyard — [ sti:ljα:d, stɪljəd] noun an apparatus for weighing that has a short arm taking the item to be weighed and a long graduated arm along which a weight is moved until it balances. Origin C17: from steel + yard1 in obs. sense rod, measuring stick … English new terms dictionary
steelyard — steel·yard … English syllables