infobox UK place
country = England
population = approx 16,000
region= East Midlands
postcode_district = NG34
london_distance= 115 miles (185 km) S
Sleaford is a town within the
North Kestevendistrict of Lincolnshire, England. It is thirteen miles (21 km) northeast of Granthamand seventeen miles (27 km) northwest of Boston, and has a total resident population of around 16,000 in 7283 households.Fact|date=June 2007
Until recently, Sleaford, which takes its name from the
River Slea, was primarily an agriculturaltown, supporting a cattle market and famous seed companies such as Hubbard and Phillips and Sharpes International Seeds (whose history can be traced from their merger with Zeneca Seeds in 1996, which formed Advanta Seeds, right back to 1560). Today however Sleaford is developing as a tourist and craft destination.
Bronze Age torcwas found nearby at Sudbrook, in the early 1990s.
The modern centre of Sleaford originated as New Sleaford. Excavations in the market place in 1979 uncovered the remains of a small Anglo-Saxon settlement of eighth century date. Old Sleaford, towards the eastern end of the modern town, was probably a tribal centre of the
Iron Age Corieltauvi. There may have been a pre-Roman coin mint here, since the largest hoard of coin pellet moulds ever found in Europe was excavated here. Few Iron Age coins were found here however, and it is believed that after being poured into the pellet moulds, the coins were taken to Leicesterto be stamped.
Roman road, Mareham Lane, used to run through Old Sleaford, and southwards along the fen edge, towards Bourne. Where it passed through Old Sleaford, excavations have revealed a large stone-built domestic residence with associated farm buildings, corn-driers, ovens and field systems, as well as a number of burials.
In 1858, just to the south of the town, a large Anglo-Roman
cemeterywas found, showing a mix of pagan and Christianburial practices. A large Anglo-Saxon cemetery, of some 600 burials was found during construction of the new railway station in 1882. Further to the south-west, in nearby Quarrington, a substantial Anglo-Saxon settlement was excavated during a new housing development. To the north of the town, a small early Saxon settlement was investigated prior to the construction of the new McDonald's restaurant at Holdingham roundabout.
Under the Anglo-Saxons, until conquered by the
Vikings, Sleaford became part of the Flaxwell Wapentake. Sleaford ('Eslaforde') was then held by a man named Bardi. William the Conquerorgave the manor of 'Eslaforde' to Remigius de Fécamp, the first Bishop of Lincoln, in around 1086.
About 1130, Bishop
Alexander of Lincolnbuilt a castle just southwest of the town. The footings and moat can still be seen, in what is now the Castle Fields. This was the period in which the town moved westwards. The castle was demolished in the Elizabethanera, not later than 1600.
King John who was disliked by the
baronage visited Sleaford in 1216, the day after he had lost his baggage train. He was already ill but someone spread the story that while staying overnight at Swineshead Abbey, he was poisoned by a monk with toadvenom. The king reached Newark and died.
From 1556 the ownership of the town and its lands passed from the church to local absentee landowners.
Carre's Grammar School was established in 1604. [http://www.carresgrammarschool.co.uk/]
The common lands were enclosed in 1777.
The Sleaford Navigation was opened in 1794.
From 1829 to 1831 the street pattern of the entire town was reworked, a new Town Hall built, and better drainage laid.
The railways arrived from 1857. Sleaford was eventually the junction of six major roads and five railway branch-lines, making it a regional centre. The railways caused the decline of the Sleaford Navigation, which closed in 1878. It had much to be proud of when this description was penned in 1870. [ [http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/descriptions/entry_page.jsp?text_id=931780&word=NULL Vision of Britain | Imperial Gazetteer entry for SLEAFORD ] ]
The Hubbard seed firm began in Sleaford in 1882 and then grew to become a major national business.
With the establishment of the
KestevenCounty Council under the Act of Parliamentof 1888, Sleaford became its county town.
The Bass Maltings complex opened fully in 1905, replacing all the small malthouses in the area. The complex struggled to remain open during World War II, but survived until 1960 when it closed.
World War I, from 1916 naval airships operated from nearby Cranwell, then known as "Daedalus", and a now defunct field, RFC Leadenham provided England's main defence against Zeppelinraids. Cranwell became the world's first military air academy in 1920.
World War IIthe many RAF airfields north of Sleaford played a role in the Battle of Britain, in the debilitating of the Axis war machine and RAF and USAAF airfields all around took part in the Allied invasion of Europe. (For example, see RAF Folkingham).
In the 1940s
plastic surgerywas pioneered at No.4 RAF Hospital, Rauceby, on the western outskirts of Sleaford. The Burns Unit was situated in Orchard House - one of the last remaining parts of Rauceby Mental Hospital(formerly the Kesteven Lunatic Asylum) to remain in NHS use as offices for Lincolnshire South West tPCT following the Mental Health Hospital's closure in 1998. The whole site (which is now being redeveloped principally by David Wilson Homesfor private housing) and its immediate environs including Rauceby railway station, has recently been renamed as Greylees, a suburb of the Market Town of Sleaford.
The most prominent church in Sleaford is the parish church of St. Denys - the church abuts the market place, where markets are regularly held. The church has one of the oldest stone broach
spires in England, and mostly dates from 1180, but parts of the church were rebuilt after an electrical storm in 1884. The altarrail (originally from Lincoln Cathedral) is by Sir Christopher Wren. The church is also known for its stained glass, elegant traceried windows, and carved heads.
Cogglesford Water Mill (open to the public), on the banks of the
River Slea, dates from the 17th century. It is Lincolnshire's last working water mill, and is of national importance in terms of the history of watermills, possibly being the last working Sherrif's Mill in England. It is probably on the site of an earlier Mercian estate mill. The house where the mill worker would have lived is now a restaurant.
Sleaford's Bull & Dog
pub(formerly the Black Bull) is from 1689 according to a date-stone set in its front wall, and is said to have the oldest surviving bull-baiting pub sign in England.
There is a large 1796
windmillin the town centre, Money's Mill, although now without any sails. At the nearby village of Heckington there is a working eight-sail windmill - unique in the UK.
Other town landmarks include the Handley Monument, the semi-derelict Bass Maltings, the ruins of the town's castle, and the Picturedrome (once a cinema (upstairs) and a pool hall (dowstairs), now a night club called "Flicks").
The Bass Maltings are set to be redeveloped into a multi use centre, with a shopping centre and many other attractions.
Since 2000 the town and its buildings have undergone significant expansion & improvement; with the building of numerous new private housing estates on the periphery, a new infant school, and refurbishment of town-centre buildings with a £15-million SRB 'Sleaford Pride' grant.
In 2006, The biggest conference centre in the south of Lincolnshire was established in Sleaford. [http://www.nlconferencecentre.co.uk/ The New Life Conference Centre] situated on Mareham Lane, is able to host 300 delegates in its large Auditorium and cater for other smaller events in its range of room facilities, creating an impressive conference venue.
In 2005, a £55-million project was announced by
Prince Charlesand The Phoenix Trust, to restore The Bass Maltings complex on the southern side of the town. Sir Nikolaus Pevsner considered the huge brewing malthouses to be Lincolnshire's most important industrial architecture, stating in his "Buildings of England" book: "For sheer impressiveness, little in English architecture can equal the scale of this building. A massive four-storey square tower is in the centre of a line of eight detached pavilions. The total frontage is nearly 1,000 feet."
In April 2005, the
Channel 4magazine Location, Location, Locationnamed Sleaford as one of the Top 10 'house price hotspots' in England, forecasting a strong surge above Spring 2005 prices before the end of 2005.
The two main local football teams - the Legionnaires and Sleaford Town - played for many years on Boston Road Recreation Ground. Unfortunately, despite the efforts of several local Councillors (including the late Cllr John Pratt) to provide a new pavilion, the wooden pavilion finally gave way to rot and decay in 2004. Sleaford Town Football Club had fortunately anticipated this event and their new Stadium opened, located a little further down Boston Road just outside the town's curtilage opened in March 2007.
Sleaford Museum Trust, who lacked suitable premises for many years during which time their treasures have remained in storage, are hopeful of moving into one of Carre Street's historic shops during 2007.
United Reformed Church(previously the Congregational Church) in Southgate had it's frontage redeveloped in 2007 to provide community rooms, called The Source, under the Lincolnshire County Council 'Multi Use Centres' initiative. In 2008 Sleaford United Reformed and Community churches joined to become The Riverside Church.
There are several privately run nurseries for pre-school age children. They include [http://www.preschool.nlcm.org.uk/ New Life Pre-School] , Redcroft Day Nursery, Woodside Children's Nursey, Happy Day Nursery and Sleaford Day Nursery.
Primary and Junior schools
The primary and junior schools in Sleaford are Our Lady of Good Counsel (RC), the
William Alveywhich has a newly built infants block, St. Botolph's (CofE) Primary Schooland Church Lane Primary School.
St. George's College of Technology(mixed secondary school).
These three schools feed a unique joint sixth-form consortium.
Local newspapers are "The Sleaford Target", "The Sleaford Citizen", and "The Sleaford Standard". Local radio is provided by
BBC Radio Lincolnshireand the commercial radio station Lincs FM.
The town is situated south of the intersection of the A17 and A15 roads at the Holdingham roundabout. The town was bypassed by the busy A17 on 27th March 1975 (opened by Joe Godber, the local MP). The section from the Holdingham roundabout to the A153 Anwick road had been opened earlier on 14th November 1973 by Dennis Monk, the chief engineer of the project. It was bypassed by the less busy A15 on 16th September 1993 (opened by Douglas Hogg MP).
The three-platform railway station provides a junction served by local trains using the
Peterborough to Lincoln Lineon which trains continue to Doncaster(historically part of the Great Northern and Great Eastern Joint Railway), and the busier Grantham to Skegness Lineon which trains continue to Nottingham [http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/EMTrains/YourJourney/EastMidlandsConnect.htm] . From Nottingham, there are connections to Cardiff via Birmingham [ [http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/Timetables/Default.aspx Times and Routes ] ] , Liverpool, Leicester, Derby and Worksop. Granthamstation - and its express East Coast Main Linerail link to London- is about twenty-five minutes away from Sleaford by road [ [http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=sleaford+station&daddr=grantham+station&sll=54.162434,-3.647461&sspn=21.274176,33.09082&ie=UTF8&z=12 Google Maps ] ] , or around twenty-five to thirty minutes by rail [ [http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/533B4597-E249-4A78-9DEF-5C48BA01C3CD/0/EMTTimetable4.pdf EM Guide 4-New.indd ] ] . Travel by train to London King's Cross from Sleaford usually takes just under two hours (including connections).
There are plans to make the River Slea navigable again by boats, from the River Witham up to Sleaford. It is currently navigable only by
canoes and similar lightweight one-person craft. Most of the Slea has footpaths running alongside it, and these complement the area's many public footpaths and cycle-paths.
There are several new cycle-paths around the town, including the Sleaford Cycle Trail, but Sleaford is not yet connected to the
National Cycle Network. There are plans to connect the town with the existing NCN National Route 15 which currently (July 05) ends just north of Grantham - the 15 will be extended through Sleaford to meet the NCN National Route 1 at the River Witham.
Places of interest
John Hussey, 1st Baron Hussey of Sleaford(1465/1466 - 1536/1537), Chief Butler of England
* Sleaford provides a good base for those interested in following in the footsteps of
Hereward the Wake, whose adventures mostly happened in the fenland east of nearby Bourne.
Sir Joseph Banksopened the Sleaford Navigations in 1794; the river was dredged and linked to the River Witham.
George Bassborn at Aswarby helped to map the coast of Australiain 1797, and the waters between Australia and Tasmaniaare now called the ' Bass Strait'.
Cecil Rhodes, the famous explorer and entrepreneur spent part of his boyhood in The Manor House, on the west side of Northgate. Part of this is now known as Rhodes House in his honour. [ [http://www.sleaford.co.uk/history.htm History ] ]
* The actor
Eric Thompson, the narrator of the well-known 1960s TV series The Magic Roundabout, was born here in 1929.
Frank Whittlethe inventor of jet propulsion, lodged at Dorrington. He worked at nearby Cranwell, where he took the Gloster Whittle through two successful test flights.
Bernie Taupin, Elton John's songwriter, was born at Anwick on the road to Horncastle.
* Comedian and writer
Jennifer Saunders(" French & Saunders", " Absolutely Fabulous") was born in this town in 1958.
Abi Titmusslived in nearby Heckington and Ruskington, went to school in Sleaford and took her A-levels in the town.
* [http://www.nlconferencecentre.co.uk/ New Life Conference Centre]
* [http://www.sleafordtownrunners.com/ Sleaford Town Runners - ClubMark Approved Running Club]
* [http://sleafordtownrunners.forumotion.com/ Sleaford Town Runners - Lincolnshire Runners Chat Forum]
* [http://www.cogglesford-mill.com/ Cogglesford Mill, East Road, Sleaford]
* [http://sleafordmuseum.org.uk/ Sleaford Museum Trust]
* [http://www.thehubcentre.org The Hub Centre for Craft Design & Making]
* [http://www.sleafordnavigation.co.uk/ Sleaford Navigation Trust]
* [http://www.nlcm.org.uk Sleaford New Life Church]
* [http://www.stdenyschurch.co.uk St. Deny's Church]
* [http://oden.co.uk/slt/ Sleaford Little Theatre]
* [http://www.sleafordgolfclub.co.uk/ Sleaford Golf Club]
* [http://www.sleaford.gov.uk/ Sleaford Town Council]
* [http://www.riversidesleaford.org.uk// The Riverside Church]
* [http://www.sleafordurc.org.uk/source/index.htm The Source - Multi Use Centre]
* [http://www.sleafordurc.org.uk/ United Reformed Church]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sleaford — … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sleaford — Armoiries de Sleaford … Wikipédia en Français
Sleaford — (spr. ßlīförd), Stadt in der engl. Grafschaft Kesteven (Lincolnshire), hat eine schöne Kirche (13. Jahrh.) mit vielen Grabmälern, Lateinschule, lebhaften Vieh , Korn , Butter und Geflügelhandel und (1901) 5468 Einw … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Sleaford — Sleaford, New S. (spr. njuh ßlihf rd), Stadt in der engl. Grafsch. Lincoln, (1901) 5467 E … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Sleaford — The ancient town of Sleaford in Lincolnshire is the origin of this English locational surname. It was common practise in the medieval times to name people after the place from whence they derived. Robin Hood for instance was more properly called… … Surnames reference
Sleaford — Original name in latin Sleaford Name in other language Sleaford State code GB Continent/City Europe/London longitude 52.99826 latitude 0.40941 altitude 17 Population 15558 Date 2010 08 03 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Sleaford — geographical name town E England in SW Lincolnshire SSE of Lincoln … New Collegiate Dictionary
Sleaford Castle — is a medieval castle in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England. HistoryMedieval eraFoundationIt was built between 1123 and 1139 by Alexander de Blois, Bishop of Lincoln from 1123 1147. Alexander built a quadrilateral castle, akin to his construction at… … Wikipedia
Sleaford Rural District — Sleaford was a rural district in Lincolnshire, Parts of Kesteven, England. from 1894 to 1931.It was created by the Local Government Act 1894 based on the Sleaford rural sanitary district. In 1931, under a County Review Order, it was abolished,… … Wikipedia
Sleaford Navigation — The Sleaford Navigation was a 12.5 mile (20km) canalisation of the River Slea in Lincolnshire, England, opened in 1794 and abandoned in 1878. It ran from a junction with the River Witham, near Chapel Hill to the town of Sleaford through seven… … Wikipedia