- Michael Smith (chemist)
Born 26 April 1932
Died 4 October 2000(aged 68)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Nationality Canada Fields Chemistry Institutions University of British Columbia Alma mater University of Manchester Known for mutagenesis Notable awards Nobel Prize in Chemistry (1993)
Michael Smith was born in Blackpool, England, and educated at the Arnold School in Blackpool. He went on to receive his PhD in 1956 from the University of Manchester. Afterwards, he did post-doctoral work in Gobind Khorana's Laboratory at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. He remained at the University of British Columbia from 1956 until his retirement in 1997.
In 1981 he co-founded the biotechnology company ZymoGenetics. In 1987 he founded and acted as Director of the University of British Columbia Biotechnology Laboratory.
Smith retired in 1997. He had married Helen (divorced 1983); they had two sons and two daughters.
In 1993 Smith received the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his fundamental contributions to the establishment of oligonucleotide-based site-directed mutagenesis, first published in 1978, and its utility in both genetics and protein studies, as well as genetic engineering. The prize was awarded jointly to Smith and Kary Mullis, who had invented the Polymerase Chain Reaction independently of Smith's work.
In 1994 Michael Smith was made a Companion of the Order of Canada.
In 2001 the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research was founded and named after him.
In 2004 the UBC Biotechnology Laboratories were renamed the Michael Smith Laboratories in his honour.
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre is named in his honour.
- Ferrer, J.C., Turano, P., Banci, L., Bertini, I., Morris, I.K., Smith, K.M., Smith, M., Mauk, A.G. (1994). Active site coordination chemistry of the cytochrome c peroxidase Asp235Ala variant: Spectroscopic and functional characterization. Biochem. 33: (25) 7819-7829.
- Guillemette, J.G., Barker, P.D., Eltis, L.D., Lo, T.P., Smith, M., Brayer, G.D., Mauk, A.G. (1994). Analysis of the biomolecular reducation of ferricytochrome c by ferrocytochrome b5 through mutagenesis and molecular modelling. Biochimie 76: 592-604.
- Berghuis, A.M., Guillemette, J.G., Smith, M., and Brayer, G.D. (1994). Mutation of tyrosine-67 to phenylamaine in cytochrome c significantly alters the local heme environment. J. Mol. Biol. 235: 1326-1341.
- Rafferty, S.P., Guillemette, J.G., Smith, M., and Mauk, A.G. (1996). Azide binding and active site dynamics of position-82 variants of ferricytochrome c. Inorg. Chem. Acta.242: 171-177.
- Woods, A.C., Guillemette, J.G., Parraish, J.C., Smith, M., Wallace, C.J.A. (1996). Synergy in Protein Engineering. Mutagenic manipulation of protein structure to simplify semisynthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 271: (50) 32008-32015.
- Hildebrand, D.P., Ferrer, J.C., Tang, H.-L., Smith, M., and Mauk, A.G. (1996). Trans effects on cysteine ligation in the proximal His93Cys variant of horse heart myoglobin. Biocchemistry 34: 11598-11605.
- Hildebrand, D.P., Ferrer, J.C., Tang, H.-L., Luo, Y., Hunter, C.L., Brayer, G.D., Smith, M. and Mauk, A.G. (1996). Efficient coupled oxidation of heme by an active site variant of horse heart myoglobin. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 118: (51) 12909-12915.
- Maurus, R., Overall, C.M., Bogumil, R., Luo, Y., Mauk, A.G., Smith, M., and Brayer, G.D. (1997). Thermal stabilization of horse heart myoglobin through modification of ahydrophobic cluster in the proximal heme pocket. Biochem. Acta. 1341: 1-13.
- ^ a b Astell, C. R. (2001). "Michael Smith. 26 April 1932 - 4 October 2000". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society 47: 429–441. doi:10.1098/rsbm.2001.0025. PMID 15124649.
- ^ "Library and Archive catalogue". The Royal Society. http://www2.royalsociety.org/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Persons&dsqPos=34&dsqSearch=%28Surname%3D%27smith%27%29. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- ^ Hutchison, C.A., Philipps, S., Edgell, M.H., Gillham, S., Jahnke, P., Smith, M. (1978) Mutagenesis at a Specific Position in a DNA Sequence. J. Biol. Chem. 253: (18) 6551-6560
- Eric Damer and Caroline Astell. "No Ordinary Mike: Michael Smith, Nobel Laureate." Vancouver: Ronsdale Press, 2004.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Michael Smith — Contents 1 Arts 1.1 Music 1.2 Stage and screen 1.3 Writing … Wikipedia
Michael P. Dunne — Michael Patrick Mike Dunne Born June 21, 1949(1949 06 21) New Orleans, Louisiana, USA Died July 8, 2007(2007 07 08) (aged 58) Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana, USA National … Wikipedia
Smith, Michael — ▪ 2001 British born Canadian biochemist (b. April 26, 1932, Blackpool, Lancashire, Eng. d. Oct. 5, 2000, Vancouver, B.C.), won the 1993 Nobel Prize for Chemistry for the development of oligonucleotide based site directed mutagenesis, a… … Universalium
E. E. Smith — For other people named Edward Smith, see Edward Smith (disambiguation). This article is about the author. For the Lt. Governor of Minnesota, see Edward Everett Smith. Edward Elmer Smith Born Edward Elmer Smith May 2, 1890(1890 05 02) Sheboygan,… … Wikipedia
Charles Roach Smith — Portrait and signature of Charles Roach Smith Born … Wikipedia
Adam Smith — Infobox Philosopher region = Western Economists era = Classical economics (Modern economics) color = #B0C4DE name = Adam Smith birth = Baptised 16 June 1723 smaller| [OS: 5 June 1723] Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland death = death date and… … Wikipedia
Steven B. Smith (poet) — This is the Wikipedia entry for Steven B. Smith, poet/artist/underground publisher. For the Steven B. Smith who teaches Political Science at Yale, see Steven B. Smith (professor). Steven B. Smith (born 1946), is an underground artist and poet… … Wikipedia
Donald Smith (tenor) — Donald Sydney Smith OBE (27 July 1920 – 1 December 1998) was an Australian operatic tenor. His voice had a bright Italianate quality, which could match in size, carrying power and tonal allure the voices of most sopranos and mezzos. He… … Wikipedia
Нобелевские премии по университетам — В этой статьей представлен список нобелевских лауреатов по отношению их к различным университетам. Нельзя указать точно, какой из институтов сыграл наибольшую роль в работе, за которую была получена премия. Данный список лишь указывает, как… … Википедия
Список лауреатов Нобелевских премий по университетам — Эта статья или раздел нуждается в переработке. Пожалуйста, улучшите статью в соответствии с правилами написания статей. В этой статьей представлен список нобелев … Википедия