- Communication Breakdown
"Communication Breakdown" Single by Led Zeppelin from the album Led Zeppelin A-side "Good Times Bad Times" Released 10 March 1969 Format 7" Recorded October 1968, Olympic Studios, London Genre Heavy metal, hard rock, protopunk Length 2:28 Label Atlantic Writer(s) Bonham/Jones/Page Producer Jimmy Page Led Zeppelin singles chronology "Good Times Bad Times" / "Communication Breakdown"
"Whole Lotta Love" / "Living Loving Maid (She's Just a Woman)"
Led Zeppelin track listing "Black Mountain Side"
"I Can't Quit You Baby"
The pounding guitar riff was played by Page through a small, miked Supro amplifier throughout; and ran his Fender Telecaster through a fully closed Vox wah pedal to create the "guitar in a shoebox" sound on the lead. "Communication Breakdown" is also one of the few songs on which Page sang a backing vocal.
In the US, the track was released as the B-side of the single "Good Times Bad Times".
On the Led Zeppelin BBC Sessions, released in 1997, this song was featured three times, each with a slightly different improvisation by the musicians. Three live versions taken from performances at the TV program Tous En Scene in Paris in 1969, at Danmarks Radio in 1969 and at the Royal Albert Hall in 1970 can also be seen on the Led Zeppelin DVD. "Communication Breakdown" is also one of the few Zeppelin songs in which the group did a proper lip-sync video for which is also available on the Led Zeppelin DVD.
Dictators bassist Andy Shernoff states that Page's sped up, downstroke guitar riff in "Communication Breakdown" was an inspiration for The Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone's downstroke guitar style. Ramone stated in the documentary "Ramones: The True Story", he improved at his down-stroke picking style by playing the song over and over again for the bulk of his early career.
The song is noted for its usage in motion pictures, particularly in a military environment. In episode G.I. (Annoyed Grunt) of The Simpsons, during a scene which shows military recruitment, a group of soldiers play the guitar riff of "Communication Breakdown". The song was also used on the soundtrack to the film Small Soldiers.
Formats and tracklistings
See "Good Times Bad Times" single.
- Robert Plant - vocals
- Jimmy Page - guitars, backing vocals
- John Paul Jones - bass guitar, backing vocals
- John Bonham - drums
- 1980: Inner Sense (Epitaph for a Legend)
- 1981: D.O.A. (Hardcore '81)
- 1983: The Dickies (Stukas Over Disneyland)
- 1986: The Rods (Heavier Than Thou)
- 1990: Iron Maiden (b-side to "Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter")
- 1991: Dread Zeppelin (Rock'n Roll)
- 1991: Dead Moon (Live Evil)
- 1992: Michael White & The White (White)
- 1993: The Hunger (Grip)
- 1994: Vicious Rumors (The Voice)
- 1995: Jeff Healey (Cover to Cover)
- 1996: Jason Bonham Band (In the Name of My Father - The Zepset)
- 2000: Glory (Positive Buoyant)
- 2001: Sebastian Bach (Bach 2: Basics)
- 2001: B-Movie Rats (I-94 Live I-94)
- 2001: Diamonds and Rust (Bitterskin)
- 2002: The Flaming Lips (Finally the Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid [recorded 1989])
- 2002: Tierra Santa (The Music Remains the Same: A Tribute to Led Zeppelin)
- 2002: Disengage (Sucking the 70's)
- 2003: The Fleshtones (Do You Swing?)
- 2004: Paul Gilbert with John Paul Jones (Guitar Wars)
- 2004: The Golden Cups (The Golden Cups Recital)
- 2004: 2 Many DJs (As Heard on Radio Soulwax Pt. 7 [remix])
- 2005: Led Zepagain (A Tribute to Led Zeppelin)
- 2006: Gazz (The Covers EP)
- 2006: Studio 99 (Led Zeppelin: A Tribute)
- 2006: The Rockies (The Music of Led Zeppelin)
- 2006: Zepparella (Live at 19 Broadway [recorded 28 October 2005])
- 2007: The Yardbirds (Reunion Jam: Greatest Hits Live)
- 2008: Pavic (Misty Mountain Hop: A Millenium Tribute to Led Zeppelin)
- 2008: The Yardbirds Experience (British Thunder)
- 2010: Slash and Myles Kennedy (Live in Manchester)
- Lewis, Dave (2004) The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9
- Welch, Chris (1998) Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song, ISBN 1-56025-818-7
- ^ Greg Kot. Led Zeppelin: Album Guide. Rolling Stone.
- ^ Barney Hoskyns (2006), Led Zeppelin IV: Rock of Ages, Rodale, Inc., ISBN 1-5948-6370-9.
- ^ Everett, True, Hey Ho Let's Go: The Story of The Ramones (2002): 13
- ^ Ramones:The True Story. Classic Rock Legends. B000CRSF6W.
- ^ Jonathan R. Pieslak, Sound targets: American soldiers and music in the Iraq war, Indiana University Press, ISBN 0-2532-2087-4, p. 195.
- ^ Small Soldiers soundtrack
- ^ The 1,001 Greatest Songs to Download Right Now! Blender.
Led Zeppelin track listing
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Communication Breakdown — Исполнитель Led Zeppelin Альбом Led Zeppelin Дата выпуска 12 января 1969 Дата записи октябрь 1968 … Википедия
Communication Breakdown — Single par Led Zeppelin extrait de l’album Led Zeppelin Face A Good Times Bad Times Face B Communication Breakdown Sortie … Wikipédia en Français
Communication Breakdown — «Communication Breakdown» Sencillo de Led Zeppelin del álbum Led Zeppelin Lado A Good Times, Bad Times Publicación 12 de enero de 1969 Grabación octubre de 1968 … Wikipedia Español
Communication Breakdown (film) — Communication Breakdown Directed by Richard O Sullivan Produced by John Edmonds Kozma Fred Hueston John Michael Burgess Written by Dan Lashley Richard O Sullivan … Wikipedia
Breakdown in Paradise — Infobox Album Name = Breakdown in Paradise Type = studio Artist = Chilliwack Released = 1979 Recorded = Mushroom Studios, Vancouver Genre = rock Length = Label = Mushroom Records Producer = Bill Henderson Brian MacLeod Reviews = Last album =… … Wikipedia
breakdown — break‧down [ˈbreɪkdaʊn] noun 1. [countable] a statement showing information or a total amount separated into parts so that it is easier to understand: • A spending breakdown showed the average household spent £47.70 on food per week. • Also in… … Financial and business terms
communication — com‧mu‧ni‧ca‧tion [kəˌmjuːnˈkeɪʆn] noun 1. [uncountable] the process of exchanging information or ideas: • Because some editors work in San Francisco and others in London, there is a greater need for communication in the decision making process … Financial and business terms
Breakdown cover — is a form of insurance policy that provides assistance to motorists whose vehicles have suffered a mechanical failure that is significant enough to leave them stranded at their present location. It is traditionally provided by a country s… … Wikipedia
communication — noun 1 act of communicating ADJECTIVE ▪ clear, effective, good, open ▪ Good communication is important for business. ▪ poor ▪ dir … Collocations dictionary
breakdown — noun 1 mechanical failure ADJECTIVE ▪ mechanical BREAKDOWN + VERB ▪ occur BREAKDOWN + NOUN ▪ service (BrE) ▪ Most bre … Collocations dictionary