Municipal Borough of Leyton


Municipal Borough of Leyton
Leyton
Motto: MINISTANDO DIGNITAS (Dignity in service)
Leyton Town Hall
Leyton Town Hall
Leyton essex 1961.png
Leyton within Essex in 1961
Geography
Status Local government district (1875—1894)
Urban district (1894—1926)
Municipal borough (1926—1965)
1901 area 2,594 acres (10.5 km2)
1931 area 2,594 acres (10.5 km2)
1961 area 2,595 acres (10.5 km2)
HQ High Road, Leyton
History
Origin Leyton St Mary ancient parish
Created 1875
Abolished 1965
Succeeded by London Borough of Waltham Forest
Demography
1901 population
- 1901 density
98,912
38.1/acre
1931 population
- 1931 density
128,313
49.5/acre
1961 population
- 1961 density
93,959
36.2/acre
Politics
Governance Leyton Local Board (1875—1894)
Leyton Urban District Council (1894—1926)
Leyton Borough Council (1926—1965)
Subdivisions
Type Civil parishes
Units Leyton (1875—1965)[note a]
Wanstead (part) (1883—1894)
Cann Hall (1894—1965)

Leyton was a local government district in southwest Essex, England, from 1875 to 1965. It included the neighbourhoods of Leyton, Leytonstone and Cann Hall. It was suburban to London, forming part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. It now forms the southernmost part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest in Greater London.

Contents

Background

Leyton St Mary, sometimes known as Low Leyton, was an ancient parish in the Becontree hundred of Essex, England. It included a detached part to the north of 588 acres, separated from the main part of the parish by a long, narrow exclave of Walthamstow. To the south of the parish, Wanstead formed a long protrusion meeting with the marshes of the River Lea and divided Leyton from West Ham.

Formation

The local government of Leyton was controlled by the parish vestry. Through house building and construction of the railway the parish expanded as an extra-metropolitan suburb of London. The parish authorities resisted earlier attempts to form a local board of health, but finally agreed with it becoming a local government district in 1875. The local government district also included the part of the parish of Wanstead to the south.

Change

Leyton became an urban district in 1894 under the Local Government Act 1894. The portion of Wanstead in the district was reconstituted as a new parish of Cann Hall. The urban district was incorporated as a municipal borough in 1926. The borough ran its own tram services until they became the responsibility of the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933.[1]

Abolition

In 1965 the municipal borough was abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and its former area transferred to Greater London from Essex. Its former area was combined with that of the Municipal Borough of Chingford and the Municipal Borough of Walthamstow to form the present-day London Borough of Waltham Forest.

Notes

  • ^note a : The whole parish, except 1883—1887

References

  1. ^ Reed, J., London Tramways, (1997)

External links

Coordinates: 51°33′28″N 0°0′6″E / 51.55778°N 0.00167°E / 51.55778; 0.00167


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.