- Man Bites God
Man Bites God Background information Also known as MBG, The Godsters Genres Rock, Pop, Punk Years active 2000–present Labels Independent Website Official Site
Man Bites God is a three-piece band from Melbourne, Australia; founded in 2000 by James Hazelden (guitar/vocals) and Chris Tomkins (drums/vocals) after the demise of Hazelden's previous band, The Drowning Hitlers. Mark Woodward (bass guitar/recorder/vocals) was soon recruited and the group were spotted playing in an unassuming Fitzroy bar (Mayfields) by Dan Brodie who insisted the band support him at St Kilda's Esplanade Hotel (the 'Espy').
The band has a catalogue of six releases: Happy Songs (EP, 2002), Ultrasounds (EP, 2002), Man Bites God (LP, 2003), Boob Job for Sweetie Pie (EP, 2005) The Popular Alternative (LP, 2005) and Peppermint Superfrog (LP, 2007); and is notorious for twisted, dark and often blasphemous sense of humour. Consequently, religious groups have been known to deface or tear down posters advertising the band's performances.
- Happy Songs (EP, 2002)
- Ultrasounds (EP, 2002)
- Man Bites God (2003)
- Boobjob for Sweetie Pie (EP, 2005)
- The Popular Alternative (2005)
- Peppermint Superfrog (2007)
Man Bites God generally produce their own music videos as their drummer, Chris Tomkins is a professional director/editor. However some of the more recent clips have been created by long-time fan and friend of the band, Sarah Phillips. Phillips is a graduate of RMIT Animation School and member of the cult Melbourne animation guerillas, Animation Club.
- Improvise - Shot on location at the Comics Lounge, Melbourne. This video features a huge cast of Melbourne comedians performing ridiculous vaudeville style acts as the band desperately try to maintain some semblance of dignity whilst singing about extreme contraceptive measures. Features the band's former manager, Rachel Barnes, as the girl at the romantic dinner.
- Annoying Song - A surrealistic hypnotic hodge-podge of old video and super-8 footage from the band's family collections. It also features some timelapse footage shot when the band drove from Melbourne to Adelaide using a webcam mounted to the front of the van taking one shot every second for the duration of the 8-hour journey. The video was nominated for Best Independent Clip in the 2005 Belowground III Music Video Awards.
- "Bride of the Dragon" (James Hazelden) - The ballad featuring Deborah Conway is supported with a slow-moving presentation of illustrations drawn by Sydney artist, Rhiannon McGuinness. Available on YouTube
- Cubby House - This dark, macabre clip was shot in one night with the entire budget spent on a collection of bizarre costumes and lollies for the children. This clip was lit by Sydney-based lighting designer, Allan Hirons.
- Rock n' Roll Lifestyle - Created by Sarah Phillips using drawings of manga Man Bites God band members from their 2004 Adelaide Fringe Festival show poster for "Rock n' Roll High School".
Man Bites God performed the theme tune (composed by Hazelden) for the Comedy Channel's "The Adventures of Terrence and Spider" Professional Bouncers".
Man Bites God were the house band for Channel 31's live Saturday night variety show Darren & Brose. They also appeared regularly on Channel 31's Dream On.
Angered by the outcome of the 2004 Australian Federal Election, members of the band created a Macromedia Flash application entitled Man Bites God's Anger Management  which allowed visitors to the band's website to blow up John Howard, the newly re-elected conservative Prime Minister. As a result, Man Bites God was named in a government report into innovative campaign methods. The report was prepared by Dr Sarah Miskin and entitled Campaigning in the 2004 Federal Election: Innovations and Traditions .
- Rob McComb from the Triffids was guest guitarist on various songs on Ultrasounds.
- Bob Franklin performed dialogue on "Pathetique" from Man Bites God.
- Deborah Conway performed the vocals on "Bride of the Dragon" from The Popular Alternative.
- James Black from Mondo Rock and Rockwiz played electric sitar on "Girlfriend" from Peppermint Superfrog.
- Rev. Dr. Tim Harris performed the sermon on "Sleazy" from Ultrasounds.
- ^ http://www.smh.com.au/news/music/oral-high-jinks/2005/09/01/1125302667949.html
- ^ http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/324/f-rv-ManBitesGod.shtml
- ^ http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/04/07/1017206287571.html
- ^ http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/01/1091298573871.html
- ^ http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/03/1091476471645.html
- ^ http://dmdb.org/cgi-bin/plinfo.pl?drd08.0420.html
- ^ http://www.thegroovemerchants.com/releases/releases.asp?Action=DisplayArtist&ArtistID=16223
- ^ http://www.mediasearch.com.au/music/cdreviews/manbitesgod-single
- ^ Australasian Performing Right Association: http://www.apra.com.au/cms/worksearch/worksearch.srvlt
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1355242/
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Man On the Prowl — «Thank God It s Christmas/Man On the Prowl» Сингл Queen Сторона «А» … Википедия
Man on the Prowl — «Thank God It’s Christmas / Man on the Prowl» Сингл Queen … Википедия
Dog Bites Man — For the journalistic expression, see Man bites dog (journalism). Dog Bites Man 200px Promotional image Format Comedy Created by Dan Mazer St … Wikipedia
Monkey-man of Delhi — For other uses of the term, see Monkey Man (disambiguation). Police artist s impression of the Monkey Man of New Delhi The Monkey Man of New Delhi is a monster which was reported roaming Delhi in 2001. Contents 1 … Wikipedia
The Old Man — Infobox Television episode Title = The Old Man Series = Seinfeld Caption = George, Elaine and Jerry in the apartment. Season = 4 Episode = 58 Airdate = February 18, 1993 Production = Writer = Larry Charles Director = Tom Cherones Guests = Edie… … Wikipedia
Little Man in the Canoe — Infobox Album | Name = Little Man in the Canoe Type = Studio album Artist = Dayglo Abortions Released = 1995 Genre = Punk rock Label = God Records Last album = Two Dogs Fucking (1991) This album = Little Man in the Canoe (1995) Next album =… … Wikipedia
Another One Bites the Dust — «Another One Bites the Dust» Сингл Queen из альбома The Game Выпущен 22 августа 1980 Формат 7” … Википедия
Son of man — The phrase son of man is a primarily Semitic idiom that originated in Ancient Mesopotamia, used to denote humanity or self. The phrase is also used in Judaism and Christianity. Ancient languagesIn Sumerian, child of (a) man is: *DUMU.LU.A (?)In… … Wikipedia
Another One Bites the Dust — Single par Queen extrait de l’album The Game Face A Another One Bites the Dust Face B Dragon Attack Sortie 22 août 1980 … Wikipédia en Français
Another One Bites the Dust — Queen Veröffentlichung 12. August 1980 Länge 3:33 Genre(s) Rock Autor(en) John Deacon … Deutsch Wikipedia