- Angel of the Morning
"Angel of the Morning" Single by Juice Newton from the album Juice B-side "Headin' for a Heartache" Released 1981 Format 7" (45 rpm) Genre Country pop Length 3:49
Label Capitol 4976 Writer(s) Chip Taylor Producer Richard Landis Juice Newton singles chronology "You Fill My Life"
"Angel of the Morning"
"Queen of Hearts"
"Angel of the Morning" is a popular song that has been recorded numerous times, and has been a charting hit single for several artists including Juice Newton, Merrilee Rush, Nina Simone, P.P. Arnold, Olivia Newton-John, The Pretenders/Chrissie Hynde, Dusty Springfield, Mary Mason, Melba Montgomery, and Billie Davis.
Original and charting versions
Written and composed by New York-born songwriter Chip Taylor, "Angel of the Morning" was originally offered to Connie Francis to sing, but she turned it down because she thought that it was too risqué for her career. Taylor produced a recording of the song with his protégée Evie Sands but the financial straits of Cameo-Parkway Records, who had Sands on their roster, reportedly either prevented that version's release or its distribution. Other early recordings of "Angel of the Morning" were made in 1967 by Danny Michaels for Lee Hazelwood's LHI label and by UK vocalist Billie Davis.
"Angel of the Morning" finally became a hit in the spring and summer of 1968 via a recording by Merrilee Rush made that January at American Sound Studios in Memphis with Chips Moman and Tommy Cogbill producing. Rush had come to Memphis through the group she fronted: the Turnabouts, being the opening act for a Paul Revere and the Raiders tour; while in Memphis the last-named group proceeded to record the album Going to Memphis at American Sound Studios, an association which led to Rush's discovery by Tommy Cogbill who'd been hoping to find the right voice for the song "Angel of the Morning" - he'd kept a tape of the demo of that song constantly in his pocket for several months. Rush recorded "Angel of the Morning" and the tracks which would comprise her Angel of the Morning album with the American Sound houseband although the single and the album would be credited to the group Merrilee Rush & the Turnabouts. The "Angel of the Morning" single was released in February 1968 to reach the Top Ten on the Billboard Hot 100 that June peaking at #7. A #1 hit in Canada, Australia and New Zealand, "Angel of the Morning" also afforded Rush a hit in the Netherlands (#4). "Angel of the Morning" earned Rush a Grammy nomination for Best Contemporary-Pop Vocal Performance, Female. Rush would cut a new version of the song for her 1977 eponymous album release. Rush's version of "Angel of the Morning" would be featured on the soundtrack of the 1999 film Girl, Interrupted - whose time frame is 1967-68 - in which composer Chip Taylor's niece Angelina Jolie had a starring role.
In the United Kingdom, where the Merrilee Rush version had failed to reach the Top 50 stalling at #55, "Angel of the Morning" reached #29 in August 1968 via a rendition by P.P. Arnold who had sung background on the 1967 Billie Davis version; Arnold's version was produced by Andrew Loog Oldham. In 1977 Mary Mason also had a UK Top 30 hit with her version (in fact a medley of two Chip Taylor songs: "Angel of the Morning - Any Way That You Want Me"), which made #27. British act Guys 'n' Dolls had a hit in the Netherlands in 1977 with "Angel of the Morning", their version reaching #11 on the Dutch chart.
The most successful C&W version of the song - tying with the Juice Newton version discussed in the paragraph below - is the 1978 release by Melba Montgomery which reached #22 on the Billboard C&W chart. Previously "Angel of the Morning" had appeared on the Billboard C&W chart via a rendition by Connie Eaton (#34/ 1970).
The highest-charting and best-selling version in the United States was recorded and released in 1981 by country-rock singer Juice Newton for her album Juice, released on Capitol Records. Newton remade the song at the suggestion of Steve Meyer, Capitol's national promotion director. Newton's version reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, #22 on the Billboard country music chart, and spent three weeks at #1 on the Billboard adult contemporary chart in April of that year. The recording also earned Newton a Grammy nomination in the same category as Rush's 1968 hit. More than 1 million units of Newton's single of the song were sold in the United States, and the single reached the top ten in a number of other countries, including Canada and Australia. In the UK, this recording reached #35 on the UK Singles Chart, marking the song's third appearance on that chart without becoming a truly major hit. Newton recorded the song again in 1998 for her The Trouble with Angels album.
Reggae artist Shaggy released a single titled "Angel" that featured Rayvon in 2001. The song was a reworked version of "Angel of the Morning" and featured new lyrics, turning it into an apology and homage to his lady love, instead of the original's tone of a one-night stand. This song spent one week at #1.
Versions by Chip Taylor
- In 1996, Taylor released a version on the album Hit Man.
- In 2004, Taylor released a version of the song with his singer/songwriter partner Carrie Rodriguez on the album of the same name.
Non-charting cover versions
- In 1968 the American singer Joya Landis recorded a late rocksteady/early reggae version of this song in Jamaica for producer Arthur "Duke" Reid and his Treasure Isle label. The UK release (Trojan TR-622) had "Love Letters" by Phyllis Dillon and Alton Ellis as the B-side. It also appeared on the compilation album Soul Of Jamaica a.k.a. Come Rock With Me In Jamaica, and on the Trojan compilation album, Tighten Up, Volume 1 (both 1968).
- Soul singer Bettye Swann had a single release of "Angel of the Morning" in 1969.
- The New Seekers included "Angel of the Morning" on their self-titled debut album (1969).
- Soul singer Thelma Jones recorded the song for her eponymous 1978 album.
- In 1995, Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders sang their own version on the Friends soundtrack album. The song was released as a single but did not chart.
- The short-lived British girl band Thunderbugs recorded an upbeat version of the song for their 1999 debut album, Delicious.
- The Boston-based band Tijuana Sweetheart (then named VAGIANT) released a cover on their debut album, Public Display of Infection.
There have been a number of non-English renderings of "Angel of the Morning":
- in Dutch as "Vlinder van een zomer" a 1968 single by Willeke Alberti.
- in French as "Au revoir et à demain" a 1967 single by Liliane Saint-Pierre.
- in Finnish as "Kaipuu" a 1968 single by Pertti Willberg and also as "Jos Itket Silloin" recorded by Pirjo Lehti for her 1985 Se On Rakkautta Oikeaa album.
- in Italian as "Gli occhi verdi dell'amore" which was a 1969 hit in Italy at #9 for I Profeti.
- in German as "Der Engel der Verdammten" by Juliane Werding on her 1975 album Wenn du denkst, dass du denkst, dan denskt du nur, du denskt and also as " "Ich bin dein Engel bis zum Morgen" a 1981 single by Suzanne Klee.
- in Spanish as "Ángel de la Mañana" by Enrique Guzmán, in 1975.
- in Swedish as "En enda morgon" recorded by Elisabeth Andreassen for her 1981 album Angel of the Morning and also as "Nattens sista ängel" recorded by Wizex for their 1982 album Nattfjäril. These respective lyricists for these versions were Mats Rådberg and Roine Carlsson.
Film and television
The Merrilee Rush version of the song is featured in the soundtrack of the movie, Girl, Interrupted. The Rush version is also played during a scene in the 1978 film Fingers, where it is used to accentuate the conflicted nature of the main character played by Harvey Keitel. The song was performed live by Chrissie Hynde in a 1995 episode of Friends titled "The One with the Baby on the Bus", and that version also appears in that show's soundtrack album. The song also makes an appearance in the 1996 film Jerry Maguire, with Tom Cruise's titular character singing what appears to be the original version, enthusiastically if badly. More recently, Conan O'Brien has referenced the track, during periodic ironic pledges to cease his show's use of arbitrary & stupid humor in which he presents a gorilla dressed as a nurse who uses an old-fashioned abdominal exerciser while enjoying the song. In "Branch Closing", an episode of The Office, Michael Scott sings "Levinson in the morning" to his supervisor, Jan Levinson.
Juice Newton's version can be heard during Drew Barrymore's first scene in the film Charlie's Angels.
The Toyota Highlander "Kid Cave" commercial, aired from late 2010, features a young boy who is embarrassed by his parents' singing of the song while he is riding with them in a car.
Versions (English language) (chronology)
- 1967: Evie Sands (original recording), Billie Davis
- 1968: Merrilee Rush and The Turnabouts, P.P. Arnold, Percy Faith, Ray Conniff
- 1969: Dusty Springfield (TV performance on It's Lulu), Skeeter Davis, Bettye Swann, the New Seekers, the Tremeloes, Connie Eaton
- 1970: Abba
- 1971: Nina Simone
- 1973: Olivia Newton-John
- 1977: Merrilee Rush (re-recording for United Artists Records), Guys 'n' Dolls, Mary Mason ("Angel of the Morning"/"Any Way That You Want Me" medley)
- 1978: Melba Montgomery, Thelma Jones, Pat Kelly
- 1981: Elisabeth Andreassen, Juice Newton
- 1987: The Tremeloes
- 1995: The Pretenders
- 1998: Juice Newton (re-recording), Bonnie Tyler
- 1998: Gitte Haenning (Gitte Hænning) WEA Records Warner music Germany
- 1999: Thunderbugs
- 2001: Maggie Reilly
- 2001: Shaggy with Rayvon (Reggae, as "Angel")
- 2003: The Shocker
- 2006: Chip Davis & Carrie Rodriguez
- 2007: Girlyman, Jill Johnson, Vagiant
- 2008: Barb Jungr, Randy Crawford (with Joe Sample)
- 2011: Hanne Boel
- List of number-one singles in Australia during the 1960s
- List of number-one singles in 1968 (New Zealand)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1981 (U.S.)
- ^ Jones, Roben (2010). Memphis Boys: the story of American Studios (1st ed.). Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi. pp. 126–130. ISBN 1604734019.
- ^ Library and Archives Canada. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/rpm/028020-119.01-e.php?brws_s=1&file_num=nlc008388.7882&type=1&interval=24&PHPSESSID=53kmmp6mr7vtv6gvsp156c0824
- ^ Arnold UK Singles Chart info Chartstats.com. Retrieved 12 September 2009
- ^ Mason UK Singles Chart info Chartstats.com. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- ^ Rock Hill Herald 21 April 1981 p. 59
- ^ Hyatt, Wesley (1999). The Billboard Book of #1 Adult Contemporary Hits (Billboard Publications), page 250.
- ^ Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits, 8th Edition (Billboard Publications), page 454.
- ^ Newton UK Singles Chart info Chartstats.com. Retrieved 12 September 2009.
- ^ Hit Man - Chip Taylor. Amazon.com.
- ^ KGSR BROADCASTS CDS - Volume 7. KGSR.com.
- ^ Angel of the Morning - Chip Taylor, Carrie Rodriguez Amazon.com.
- ^ Beth Harpaz. What Embarrasses a Teen? A Parent's Mere Existence, Associated Press, 2010-12-20
"This Guy's in Love with You" by Herb Alpert
Canadian RPM 100 number-one single
(Marilee Rush version)
July 6, 1968 (one week)
"Lady Willpower" by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Angel of the Morning (album) — Infobox Album Name = Angel of the Morning Type = studio Artist = Elisabeth Andreassen Released = 1981 Recorded = KMH Studio, Stockholm, 1981 Genre = Country, Pop Length = 49:44 Language = Swedish, English Label = Mariann Grammofon AB Producer =… … Wikipedia
Angel in the night — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda «Angel in the Night» Sencillo de Basshunter del álbum Now You re Gone – The Album Publicación 29 de septiembre de 2008 (Reino Unido) Formato … Wikipedia Español
Angel (Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode) — Infobox Television episode Title=Angel Series=Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season=1 Episode=7 Airdate=April 14 1997 Production=4V07 Writer=David Greenwalt Director=Scott Brazil Episode list=List of Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes Prev=The Pack Next … Wikipedia
4 in the Morning — Single par Gwen Stefani extrait de l’album The Sweet Escape Sortie 2 juillet 2007 (Amérique du Nord) juin 2007( ) … Wikipédia en Français
4 in the Morning — Infobox Single Name = 4 in the Morning Artist = Gwen Stefani from Album = The Sweet Escape Released = Start date|2007|6|21 (See release history) Recorded = 2006 Genre = Pop, R B Length = 4:51 (album version) 4:27 (radio edit) Label = Interscope… … Wikipedia
The Sweetest Thing (I've Ever Known) — is a country pop song written by Otha Young (a.k.a. Robert O. Young). Young is the long time musical partner of Grammy winning vocalist Juice Newton and wrote the song for her in the mid 1970s. The song was originally recorded and released in… … Wikipedia
Angel (Neon Genesis Evangelion) — In the anime and manga Neon Genesis Evangelion , Angels are beings which attack Tokyo 3 over the course of the story. Description and informationAll but one of the Angels are the progeny of Adam, itself the First Angel . Extras: Eva Glossary .… … Wikipedia
Angel (Shaggy song) — Infobox Single Name = Angel Artist = Shaggy featuring Rayvon from Album = Hot Shot B side = Released = May 28 2001 Format = CD maxi single Recorded = Genre = Reggae/R B Length = Label = MCA Writer = Ahmet Ertegün Eddie Curtis Chip Taylor Steve… … Wikipedia
Angel Island (California) — Angel Island Angel Island Geography Location San Francisco Bay Coordinates … Wikipedia
The Sweet Escape — Álbum de estudio de Gwen Stefani Publicación 5 de diciembre de 2006. Grabación … Wikipedia Español