- M60 motorway
length_notes=7 miles are part of the M62 motorway
established=1960-2000 "(opened in sections as M62, M63 and M66, renumbered M60 in 2000)"
European route number small sign|20European route number small sign|22
Manchester Trafford Salford Bury Rochdale Oldham Tameside
The M60 motorway is an orbital
motorwaycircling Greater Manchester, a metropolitan countyin North West England. It passes through all Greater Manchester's metropolitan boroughs except for Wigan and Bolton. Most of the City of Manchesteris encompassed within the motorway, except for the southern-most part of the city (primarily the Wythenshawearea and the Airport). The road forms part of the unsigned Euroroutes E20 and E22, and is a proposed boundary road for the Manchester Congestion Charge.
The M60 was developed by connecting and consolidating the existing motorway sections of the M63, M62, and an extended M66. It came into existence as the M60 in 2000, with the completion of the eastern side (Junctions 19-24) opening in October of that year.
The original plan called for a completely new motorway, but policy change led to the plan which created the current motorway. As soon as it opened, the motorway got close to its projected maximum volume on significant sections.As an orbital motorway, it is equivalent to London's
M25 motorway, however, unlike the M25, the M60 is a complete circle. In 2004, a section of the northern M60 was the UK's busiest stretch of road, with an average of 181,000 vehicles per day using the stretch between junctions 16 and 17, although usually, the western side of the M25 motorwayholds that honour. The M25's figures were lower than normal due to roadworks starting. [http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_transstats/documents/downloadable/dft_transstats_038887.pdf]
Widening between junctions 5 and 8
Between junctions 5 and 8 (formerly M63 between junctions 6 to 9), the motorway has recently been widened in a major engineering project spanning several years. [cite web|url=https://www.dft.gov.uk/press/speechesstatements/speeches/m60widening|title=Speech by Minister of State for Transport, Dr Stephen Ladyman, delivered at the opening ceremony of the widened M60 junction 5-8|publisher=Department For Transport|date=
2006-06-26|accessdate=2008-01-28] Between junctions 5 and 6, the motorway has been widened from three to four lanes in each direction. Between junctions 6 and 8, the motorway had been widened from two to three lanes in each direction, plus an additional two-lane collector/distributor roadon either side of the main carriageways. Access for junctions 6 to 8 is only from the collector/distributor road. Some of the junctions have been extensively remodelled. As part of the project, the A6144(M) motorway, which connected to the M60 at junction 8, was downgraded and lost its motorway status.
There is talk of some sections becoming toll sections, and there is still talk of building a new orbital motorway as proposed by the original planFact|date=February 2007.
motorwayin Englandrequires that a Statutory Instrumentbe published, detailing the route of the road, before it can be built. The dates given on these Statutory Instruments relate to when the document was published, and not when the road was built. Provided below is an incomplete list of the Statutory Instruments relating to the route of the M60.
* Statutory Instrument 1988 No. 1708: M66 Motorway (Manchester Ring Road, Denton to Middleton Section) and Connecting Roads Scheme 1988 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1988/Uksi_19881708_en_1.htm S.I. 1988/1708]
* Statutory Instrument 1988 No. 1728: M66 Motorway (Middleton to the Lancashire/Yorkshire Motorway (M62) Section) and Connecting Roads Scheme 1988 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1988/Uksi_19881728_en_1.htm S.I. 1988/1728]
* Statutory Instrument 1993 No. 363: M66 Motorway (Manchester Outer Ring Road, Denton to Middleton Section) A663 Broadway All-Purpose Connecting Road Order 1993 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1993/Uksi_19930363_en_1.htm S.I. 1993/363]
* Statutory Instrument 1993 No. 364: M66 Motorway (Manchester Outer Ring Road, Denton to Middleton Section) and Connecting Roads Scheme 1988 Amendment Scheme 1993 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1993/Uksi_19930364_en_1.htm S.I. 1993/364]
* Statutory Instrument 1999 No. 2724: The M60 Motorway (Improvement Between Junctions 5 and 8) Connecting Roads Scheme 1999 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992724.htm S.I. 1999/2724]
* Statutory Instrument 2002 No. 2403: The M60 Motorway (Junction 25) (Speed Limit) Regulations 2002 [http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20022403.htm S.I. 2002/2403]
List of motorways in the United Kingdom.
* [http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m60/ CBRD Motorway Database - M60]
* [http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4826.aspx Highways Agency - M60 Jct 5 to 8 (formerly M63 Jct 6 to 9) widening]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
M60 — or M 60 may refer to:In firearms and military equipment: * M60 assault rifle, a Yugoslav AK 47 clone * M60 machine gun, an American general purpose 7.62 mm machine gun * M.60 Marathon, an aircraft * M60 Patton, an American main battle tank family … Wikipedia
Motorway M60 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M60 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway Incident Detection and Automatic Signalling — For other uses of MIDAS , see MIDAS (disambiguation). Motorway Incident Detection and Automatic Signalling, usually abbreviated to MIDAS, is a distributed network of traffic sensors, mainly inductive loops, which are designed to set variable… … Wikipedia
Motorway M62 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M62 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway — Dies ist eine Liste aller Autobahnen in Großbritannien. Bitte beachten, dass für Großbritannien und Nordirland unterschiedliche Nummerierungsschemata existieren; siehe Straßensystem in Irland. Die Autobahnen werden durch blaue Schilder und einer… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway M6 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M6 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway M74 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M74 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway M25 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M25 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich Karte … Deutsch Wikipedia
Motorway M4 — Vorlage:Infobox hochrangige Straße/Wartung/GB M M4 motorway im Vereinigten Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
M60 — Die Abkürzungen M60, M 60 bzw. M 60 bezeichnen unter anderem eine elliptische Galaxie, siehe Messier 60 einen US amerikanischen Panzer, siehe M60 (Kampfpanzer) ein US amerikanisches Maschinengewehr, siehe M60 (Maschinengewehr) eine britische… … Deutsch Wikipedia