- Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
name=Suzuki V-Strom 650 (DL650)
class=Middleweight Dual Sport
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
wheelbase=60.6 in (1580 mm)(through 2006), 61.2 (2007)
length=90.2 in (2290 mm)
seat height=32.3 in (820 mm)
engine=645cc, 4-stroke, liquid cooled, 90 degree V-twin, DOHC, 8 valves, wet sump
torque=60 Nm (44.3 ft.lbf) @ 6400 rpm
fuel_capacity=5.8 gallons US (22 litres)
fuel_economy=54-56 miles per gallon highway (4.2-4.4 L/100 km)
transmission= 6-speed, constant mesh, final drive chain
Wheels=Front tyre - 110/80-19 Rear tyre - 150/70-17
SuzukiV-Strom DL650 is a mid-weight dual-sport motorcyclesold worldwide and introduced to the US in 2004.
Unlike specialized motorcycles, the V-Strom 650 trades strength in a single area for adaptability to a variety of riding conditions: commuting, cruising, adventure touring and — to a lesser degree — off-road riding. In this respect, the DL650 resembles a UJM with a broad character taking the place of specific strength.
The name V-Strom combines "V" referring to the bikes engine configuration with the German word "Strom", meaning stream or current.cite web
title= 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom] To differentiate the DL650 from its DL1000 stablemate, users have nicknamed them "Wee" and "Vee", respectively, with the common variation "Wee-strom" for the DL650.
With the DL650, a 6-speed transmission mates to the fuel-injected and slightly retuned 645 cc liquid cooled, 4 stroke V-twin engine from Suzuki's own
SV650sport bike. An upright, standard riding posture and Auto lb|427|0 dry weight contribute to the bike's handling characteristics.
The engine is a 90-degree, liquid cooled, 4 stroke V-twin, with 81mm bore and a 62.6mm stroke, four valves per cylinder, and intake and exhaust valving each with their own camshaft. More relaxed cam profiles over the SV engine boost the power between 4,000 and 6,500 rpm -- along with slight changes to the airbox and exhaust. Relative to the SV, the crank inertia (flywheel effect) is also increased by 4% [cite web | url= http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/suzuki-vstrom-650-17909.html | title= Suzuki V-Strom 650, Sean Alexander, Mar. 21, 2004| work= www.Motorcycle.org ] via a redesigned starter clutch. As well, the DL650 engine uses a plastic outer clutch cover and engine sprocket cover for reduced weight and noise [cite web | url= http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/suzuki-vstrom-650-17909.html | title= Suzuki V-Strom 650, Sean Alexander, Mar. 21, 2004| work= www.Motorcycle.org ] .
In a significant departure from the SV engine, which uses cast iron cylinder sleeves, the DL650 uses Suzuki's proprietary SCEM (Suzuki Composite Electro-chemical Material) plated cylinders, a race-proven nickel-phosphorus-silicon-carbide coating for reduced weight and improved heat transfer, allowing for tighter and more efficient piston-to-cylinder clearance [cite web | url= http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/suzuki/suzuki-vstrom-650-17909.html | title= Suzuki V-Strom 650, Sean Alexander, Mar. 21, 2004| work= www.Motorcycle.org ] , similar to a
The DL650 employs sophisticated engine electronics for starting and throttle control and uses Suzuki's AFIS (Auto Fast Idle System), eliminating a fast-idle control. The engine control module (ECM) reads engine information (ie, coolant temperature) via a 16-bit central processing unit (CPU) -- controlling the fuel system's dual throttle bodies and contributing to strong acceleration up to a rev-limited 10,500 rpm.
The DL650 employs Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel-injection and exhausts via a two-into-one exhaust system with a catalytic converter in the muffler. European models meet Euro 3 emissions specifications. In the US, a "PAIR" air injection system reduces CO and HC emissions.
A twin-spar aluminum frame and swingarm accommodates rear Showa mono-shock with a hydraulic preload adjuster. Front Showa shocks are pre-load adjustable. The DL650 uses a 19" front wheel, 17" rear wheel.
Instruments and bodywork
The bike's instrument cluster includes a compact analog step-motor speedometer and tachometer (both with LED illumination) and a digital LCD unit with odometer, tripmeter, coolant temperature gauge, fuel gauge, LED neutral, digital clock, turn signal and high beam lights and an oil pressure warning light.
An adjustable windshield allows movement of 50mm. A small underseat compartment, suitable for small tools, gloves, or an owner's manual, can be accessed by removal of the seat, via a keyed lock located at the rear of the bike, just below the built-in rack.
Global sales and manufacture
Sold in Europe, Oceania and the Americas, the DL650 competes with the
ApriliaCaponord and Pegaso, BMW F650 Series, and most directly, the Kawasaki Versys.
The Suzuki DL650 is manufactured at the Suzuki's ISO14001 certified plant in Toyokawa, Japan.
* Named one of the "ten best" bikes under $10,000 by Motorcyclist (USA) magazine, October, 2007 -- beating out, among many others, the V-Strom 1000.
* In a September 2006 article, Cycle World magazine wrote "the DL650 may just be the most shockingly competent machine in the world today." [http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=6&article_id=141 September 2006 article] from Cycle World]
* A 2004 article from MotorcycleUSA.com said "it was hard to imagine another machine with a competitive versatility-per-dollar ratio." [http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=385 2004 article] from MotorcycleUSA.com]
* Twice consecutively, the DL650 has earned the title "Alpenkoenig", winning Motorrad magazine's (Germany) grueling trans-alp multi-bike test in 2005 and 2006. [http://www.motorradonline.de/home Alpenkoenig] from MOTORRADonline.com]
Model Year changes
* Optional ABS (anti-lock braking)
* Wheelbase increased from Auto in|60.6|0 to Auto in|61.2|0 with an increase in the swingarm length by Auto in|.597|0
sparkplugsat each cylinder, for increased combustionefficiency and improved emissions.
* Revised underseat tray to accommodate ABS
* Graduated Chevron Tank Graphic (previously, Lightning Bolt)
* New rubber boot protectors at swingarm pivot
* The hazard switch was moved outboard of the Hi-Lo beam switch and changed from a rocker to a button
* The kill switch is larger and the starter button is a larger sprung rocker switch instead of a button.
* Luggage rack revised from silver to black.
* Deletion of idle adjustment screw (requiring special tooling for throttle body synchronization).
* Dry weight increases from 418 lb (190 kg) to 427 lb (194 kg)
* Frame & swingarm changed to Black, Silver before. Lightning Bolt tank graphic added. Headlight interrupt when starting added.
US colors MSRP
* 2008 DL650: Yellow, Matte Black MSRP: $6699
* 2008 DL650-ABS: Matte Black MSRP: $7199
* 2007 DL650: Gray (Oort Gray Metallic), Blue (Pearl Vigor Blue). MSRP: $6699
* 2007 DL650-ABS: Gray (Oort Gray Metallic) MSRP: $7199
* 2006 DL650: Red (Pearl Crystal Red), Silvery Blue (Euclase Silver). MSRP $6699
* 2005 DL650: Red (Pearl Crystal Red), Blue (Candy Grand Blue). MSRP $6699
* 2004 DL650: Black (Pearl Nebular Black), Blue (Pearl Medium Blue #2). MSRP $6599
* [http://www.suzukicycles.com/ Suzuki USA Official Motorcycle Website]
* [http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DL650AK8/Specs/Default.aspx Suzuki Motorcycle V-Strom 650 Specifications]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom — Infobox Motorcycle left name=Suzuki V Strom DL1000 manufacturer=Suzuki production=2002 ndash;2009 class=Sport Touring related=Suzuki DL650 V Strom wheelbase=60.4 in length=90.4 in width=34.1 in height=52.6 in seat height=32.1 in engine=996cc, 4… … Wikipedia
Suzuki SV650 — The SV650 and variants are street motorcycles manufactured since 1999 for the international market by the Suzuki Motor Corporation, featuring a mid sized V twin engine and medium performance components.First Generation (1999 2002)Suzuki… … Wikipedia
Suzuki VX 800 — The Suzuki VX 800 is a road motorcycle shaft drive V twin bike from Suzuki.The VX800 was designed at U.S. Suzuki s Design Studio in Brea, California from 1987 1989 and produced in years 1990 1997. Variations There were four variations of the… … Wikipedia
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 — Manufacturer Suzuki Also called DL1000 Production since 2002 Class Sp … Wikipedia
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom — Suzuki V strom DL 650 2005 Constructeur Suzuki Années de production 2004 Type Trail routier Moteur et transmission … Wikipédia en Français
Suzuki DR650 — Suzuki DR650RSE from 1992 Manufacturer Suzuki Production since 1990 … Wikipedia
V-Strom — The Suzuki V Strom motorcycle is made in two different engine variants:*Suzuki DL650 V Strom *Suzuki DL1000 V Strom … Wikipedia
Kawasaki Versys — Infobox Motorcycle name = Versys aka = manufacturer = Kawasaki parent company = production = 2007 predecessor = successor = class = Standard engine = 649 cc liquid cooled 4 stroke parallel twin top speed = power = Convert|64|hp|kW|0|abbr=on @… … Wikipedia