- Crown Holdings
Crown Holdings Type Public (NYSE: CCK)
S&P 500 Component
Industry Packaging Founded 1892 Headquarters Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S. Key people John W. Conway, CEO Products Aerosol Packaging, Beverage Packaging, Food Packaging, Metal Closures, and Speciality Packaging Revenue US$7.94B (FY 2010) Operating income US$826M (FY 2010) Net income US$321M (FY 2010) Total assets US$6.90B (FY 2010) Total equity US$-96.00M (FY 2010) Employees 24,000 Website crowncork.com
Crown Holdings Incorporated (NYSE: CCK), formerly Crown Cork & Seal Company, is an American company producing packaging. Founded in 1892, it is currently headquartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. From a modest beginning in 1892, the company had emerged as the world’s leading packaging company, and as of 2008, was operating 154 plants in 42 countries, employing over 24,000 people. It claims to manufacture one out of every five beverage cans used in the world, and one out of every three food cans used in North America and Europe.
William Painter, an American of British descent, invented the crown cap for bottled carbonated beverages in 1891, and obtained patents 468.226 and 468.258 for it on February 2, 1892. He founded his own manufacturing business, the Crown Cork and Seal Company, in Baltimore and set out on a campaign to convince bottlers that his cap was the right cap for them to use on their products. By 1898, he had created a foot-powered crowner device to sell to bottlers and retailers so that they could seal the bottles with his caps quickly and easily. This helped to drive acceptance of his bottle caps rather quickly around the world.
- In 1906, Early Expansion. Crown opens manufacturing plants in Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Japan and Brazil.
- In 1927, New Impetus. Charles McManus, who had patented Nepro Cork, an economical substitute for natural cork, merges the New Process Cork Company into Crown Cork & Seal Company, Inc. He consolidates Crown's operations, bolsters net sales which reach $11 million, and establishes the Crown Holdings, Inc. International Corporation.
- In 1937, The Crowntainer. Charles McManus perfects the electrolytic tin-plating process and introduces the Crowntainer. This 2-piece drawn, necked-in steel can sealed with a crown is introduced as a quart beer can.
- In 1952, Spra-tainer. Crown strengthens its position in the aerosol can business and introduces the Spra-tainer, a lightweight, two-piece no side seam, no top seam aerosol can for the food, personal care, household and insecticide markets.
- In 1958, New Headquarters. Crown Cork & Seal moves its corporate headquarters to Philadelphia from Baltimore.
- In 1960, From Beer to Soft Drinks. Recognizing the enormous potential of the soft drink business, Crown Cork & Seal starts designing its equipment specifically to meet the needs of soft drink producers. The company gains considerable market share in the US soft drink market and becomes one of the world's largest producers of steel aerosol cans.
- In 1969. Crown introduces the Drawn-N-Ironed, a two-piece steel beverage can alternative to the aluminum can, which rapidly becomes a hit product.
- In 1977, Foreign Expansion. Crown Holdings, Inc. becomes one of the world's leading producers of cans and crowns overseas, operating 60 foreign plants. Net sales reach $1 billion.
- In 1989. The Company begins a series of acquisitions increasing its sales from $1.9 billion in 1989 to over $8 billion by 1997. The Company enters new markets, new product areas and develops the leading research and development activities in the industries.
- In 1990, Consolidation Begins. Crown acquires major portions of former industry leader Continental Can Company and becomes the North American packaging leader.
- In 1992, Getting into Plastics. Crown Cork & Seal acquires CONSTAR International, a world leader in PET plastic containers for the beverage, food and household markets.
- In 1996. Crown Cork & Seal acquires CarnaudMetalbox, Europe's leading manufacturer of metal and plastic packaging, and becomes the world's packaging leader.
- In 1996. New global headquarters opens in Philadelphia.
- In 2000. Crown introduces the SuperEnd® beverage ends.
Philadelphia-area corporations (including the Delaware Valley) Philadelphia-based Fortune 500 corporations
(by 2009 rank)
Delaware Valley-based Fortune 500 corporations
(by 2009 rank)
Other notable Philadelphia-based businesses Notable Philadelphia-based professional partnerships Other notable Delaware Valley-based businesses Notable Delaware Valley-based
US headquarters of foreign businesses
Notable Delaware Valley-based
division headquarters of US corporations
Acme (SuperValu) • AlliedBarton and Pinnacle Foods (Blackstone) • Keystone Helicopter (United Tech.) • Centocor (J&J) • Colonial Penn (Conseco) • Delmarva Power (Pepco Holdings) • GSI Commerce (eBay) • Hercules (Ashland) • MAB Paints (Sherwin-Williams) • McNeil Laboratories (J&J) • Neoware (Hewlett-Packard) • PECO (Exelon) • QVC (Liberty Media) • Rohm and Haas (Dow Chemical)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Crown — or The Crown may refer to: Crown (anatomy), a part of the head or of a hat Headgear Coronet, a small crown consisting of ornaments fixed on a metal ring. Unlike a crown, a coronet never has arches. Crown (headgear), ceremonial… … Wikipedia
Crown Books — This article is about the bookseller. For the book publisher, see Crown Publishing Group. Crown Books Corporation was a bookseller headquartered in Lake Arbor, an unincorporated community in Prince George s County, Maryland, near Largo and Upper… … Wikipedia
Crown cork — A crown cork The crown cork (also known as a crown cap or just a crown), the first form of bottle cap, was invented by William Painter in 1891 in Baltimore. The company making it was originally called the Bottle Seal Company, but it changed its… … Wikipedia
Crown Fibre Holdings — (CFH) is a New Zealand state owned company building a fibre to the home network by means of a public private partnership. It aims to spend NZ$1.5b and connect 75% of New Zealand s population. It was created as part of National Party s 2008… … Wikipedia
Crown Media Holdings — Crown Media Holdings, Inc. Type Public NASDAQ: CRWN Genre Media Company Founded 1994 (Hallmark Entertainment) 1995 (Crown Media) 2000 (IPO) … Wikipedia
Crown Limited — Type Public (ASX: CWN) Industry Gaming, Tourism … Wikipedia
Crown Paints — Type Private Industry Decorating Founded Late 1850 s Headquarters … Wikipedia
Crown Center — Location 2450 Grand Boulevard Kansas City, MO 64108 … Wikipedia
Crown Hill Park — Crown Hill Park, overlooking the wildlife refuge and grasslands with the Rocky Mountains on the horizon. Crown Hill Park is a 242 acre (0.98 km2) recreation area operated by Jefferson County Open Space in unincorporated Jefferson County,… … Wikipedia
Crown Pastoral Land Act 1998 — Crown Pastoral Land Act Parliament of New Zealand Long title/ Purpose An Act (a) To establish a system for reviewing the tenure of Crown land held under certain perpetually renewable leases; and (b) To establish … Wikipedia