- Bioinformatic Harvester
The Bioinformatic-Harvester is a bioinformatic meta
search engineat KIT Karlsruhe Institute of Technologyfor genes and protein-associated information. Harvester currently works for human, mouse, rat, zebrafish, drosophilaand arabidopsis thalianabased information. Harvester cross-links >28 popular bioinformatic resources and allows cross searches. A ranking system similar to pageranksorts the search results and displays the more relevant information. Harvester serves 10.000s of pages every day to scientists and physicians.
How Harvester works
Harvester collects information from
proteinand gene databases along with information from so called "prediction servers." Prediction server e.g. provide online sequence analysis for a single protein. Harvesters search index is based on the IPIand UniProtprotein information collection. The collections consists of:
* ~68.000 human, ~53.000 mouse, ~42.000 rat, ~51.000 zebrafish, ~35.000 arabidopsis and ~33.000 drosophila protein pages, which are curated and updated on a regular basis.
Harvester collects several types of information
Text based information
...from the following databases:
UniProt, world largest protein database
SOURCE, convenient gene information overview
Simple Modular Architecture Research Tool(SMART),
SOSUI, predicts transmembrane domains
PSORT, predicts protein localisation
HomoloGene, compares proteins from different species
gfp-cdna, protein localisation with fluorescence microscopy
International Protein Index(IPI).
Databases rich in graphical elements
...are not collected, but crosslinked via
iframes. Iframes are transparent windows within a HTMLpages. The iframe windows allows up-to-date viewing of the "iframed," linked databases. Several such iframes are combined on a Harvester protein page. This method allows convenient comparison of information from several databases.
BLAST, an algorithm for comparing biological sequences from the NCBI.
Ensembl, automatic gene annotation by the EMBL-EBI and Sanger-Institute
FlyBaseis a database of model organism " Drosophila melanogaster".
GoPubMedis a knowledge-based search engine for biomedical texts.
* iHOP, information hyperlinked over proteins via gene/protein synonyms
Mendelian Inheritance in Manproject catalogues all the known diseases.
RZPD, German resources Center for genome research in Berlin/Heidelberg.
STRING, Search Tool for the Retrieval of Interacting Genes/Proteins by the EMBL.
Zebrafish Information Network.
* [http://locate.imb.uq.edu.au/ LOCATE] subcellular localization database (mouse).
Genome browser, working draft assemblies for genomes UCSC
PolyMeta, meta search engine for Google, Yahoo, MSN, Ask, Exalead, AllTheWeb, GigaBlast
What one can find
Harvester allows a combination of different search terms and single words.
* Gene-name: "golga3"
* Gene-alias: "ADAP-S ADAS ADHAPS ADPS" (one gene name is sufficient)
* Gene-Ontologies: "Enzyme linked receptor protein signaling pathway"
* Go-annotation: "intra-Golgi transport"
* Molecular function: "protein kinase binding"
* Protein: "Q9NPD3"
* Protein domain: "SH2 sar"
* Protein Localisation: "endoplasmic reticulum"
* Chromosome: "2q31"
* Disease relevant: use the word "diseaselink"
* Combinations: "golgi diseaselink" (finds all golgi proteins associated with a disease)
* Word: "Cancer"
* Comment: "highly expressed in heart"
* Author: "Merkel, Schmidt"
* Publication or project: "
European Bioinformatics Institute
* Human Protein Reference Database
Sequence profiling tool
* Liebel,U., & Kindler,B.,Pepperkok,R. (2004) "'Harvester': a fast meta search engine of human protein resources." Bioinformatics. 2004 Aug 12;20(12):1962-3. Epub 2004 Feb 26. [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=14988114&query_hl=5&itool=pubmed_docsum]
* Liebel,U., & Kindler,B.,Pepperkok,R. (2004) "Bioinformatic "Harvester": a search engine for genome-wide human, mouse, and rat protein resources." Methods Enzymol. 2005;404:19-26 [http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16413254&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum]
* http://harvester.fzk.de Bioinformatic Harvester III at KIT
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
* [http://harvester42.fzk.de Harvester42] at KIT - integrating 10 general search engines
* [http://liebel-lab.fzk.de Liebel-Lab] at KIT
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Harvester — can refer to: * Bioinformatic Harvester, Bioinformatic metasearch engine at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology * Combine harvester, a machine used to harvest grain * Harvester (forestry), a type of heavy vehicle employed in cut to length logging… … Wikipedia
Bioinformatik-Harvester — Der Bioinformatik Harvester (englisch harvester, „die Erntemaschine, arbeiter“) ist eine Bioinformatik Meta Suchmaschine über Gene und Proteine von Mensch, Maus, Zebrafisch, Arabidopsis, Drosophila und Ratte. Der Harvester vereint oder verlinkt… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sequence profiling tool — A sequence profiling tool in bioinformatics is a type of software that presents information related to a genetic sequence, gene name, or keyword input. Such tools generally take a query such as a DNA, RNA, or protein sequence or ‘keyword’ and… … Wikipedia
HomoloGene — HomoloGene, a tool of the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), is a system for automated detection of homologs (similarity attributable to descent from a common ancestor) among the annotated genes of several completely sequenced… … Wikipedia
Harvester42 — The Harvester42 is a meta search engine engine project hosted at KIT Karlsruhe Institute of Technology. Harvester42 queries over 10 major search engines in parallel and presents a large result page with the individual search engine results. The… … Wikipedia
Harvester42 — (englisch harvester, „die Erntemaschine, arbeiter“) ist eine Meta Suchmaschine über mehrere große Suchmaschinen. Harvester42 verlinkt den Inhalt von ca. 12 häufig verwendeten Suchmaschinen. Harvester42 verwendet dafür die inframe Methode, welche… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Insig1 — is short for insulin induced gene 1; it is located on chromosome 7 (7q36). This human gene encodes for a 277 AA long transmembrane protein with probably 6 transmembrane domains. It is localized in the ER and seems to be expressed in all tissues,… … Wikipedia
List of biology websites — This is an annotated list of biological websites, including only notable websites dealing with biology generally and those with a more specific focus.*Animal Diversity Web created by the staff at the Museum of Zoology at the University of… … Wikipedia
Protein — Proteins are large organic compounds made of amino acids arranged in a linear chain and joined together by peptide bonds between the carboxyl and amino groups of adjacent amino acid residues. The sequence of amino acids in a protein is defined by … Wikipedia
Biological database — Biological databases are libraries of life sciences information, collected from scientific experiments, published literature, high throughput experiment technology, and computational analyses. They contain information from research areas… … Wikipedia