Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial


Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial

Infobox Protected area
name = Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial
iucn_category = V



caption =
locator_x = 210
locator_y = 61
location = Put-in-Bay, Ohio, USA
nearest_city = Sandusky, Ohio
lat_degrees = 41
lat_minutes = 39
lat_seconds = 15
lat_direction = N
long_degrees = 82
long_minutes = 48
long_seconds = 41
long_direction = W
area = 25.38 acres (24.97 federal)
102,700 m²
established = June 2, 1936
visitation_num = 155,689
visitation_year = 2005
governing_body = National Park Service

Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial commemorates the Battle of Lake Erie, near Ohio's South Bass Island, in which Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry won the greatest naval battle of the War of 1812. The memorial also celebrates the lasting peace between Britain, Canada and the United States that followed the war.

A 352 foot (107 m) monument — the world's most massive Doric column — was constructed in Put-in-Bay, Ohio by a multi-state commission from 1912 to 1915 "to inculcate the lessons of international peace by arbitration and disarmament." Beneath the stone floor of the monument lie the remains of three American officers and three British officers. It is among the tallest monuments in the United States (the Gateway Arch, San Jacinto Monument, and the Washington Monument are taller). Although substantially completed in 1915, funding problems prevented the proper completion of a fully realized memorial complex. In 1919 the federal government assumed control of the monument and provided additional funding. The official dedication was celebrated on July 31, 1931. In 2002, 2.4 million dollars was spent on a new visitor center. The memorial is visited by 200,000 people each year.

Administrative history

Established as Perry's Victory National Monument by Franklin D. Roosevelt on June 2, 1936; redesignated a National Memorial and renamed on October 26, 1972. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the memorial was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966. It is the only peace memorial within the National Park Service.

tructural concerns

The Memorial had been closed for most of the summer of 2006 after a 500-pound piece of granite broke off the southeast face of the observation deck, falling 315 feet and leaving a crater in the plaza in June. No one was injured. Following a structural assessment that deemed it safe for visitors, the memorial reopened on August 26, 2006, with a fence surrounding it. A comprehensive study is planned and the results will be used to determine what repairs are necessary and how much the work will cost.

As of July 2008, park rangers have been telling visitors that the site will close for up to 3 years for renovation. This will be in 3 phases, with the observation deck first, then the column, then the entrance and rotunda receiving attention. No official timetable has yet been given.

References

* "The National Parks: Index 2001-2003". Washington: U.S. Department of the Interior.
* [http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060823/NEWS17/608230419/-1/NEWS Toledo Blade: "Perry memorial to reopen"]
* [http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060624/NEWS17/606240399/ Toledo Blade: "Monument shut after granite falls"]
* [http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060704/NEWS17/607040352/-1/NEWS Toldeo Blade: "Monument remains shut pending study"]
* [http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060723/NEWS17/607230308/0/NEWS02 Toledo Blade: "Time chips away at Perry memorial"]

External links

* [http://www.nps.gov/pevi/ National Park Service: Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial]



Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.