- Culinary art
Culinary art is the art of preparing and cooking foods. The word "culinary" is defined as something related to, or connected with, cooking. A culinarion is a person working in the culinary arts. A culinarian working in restaurants is commonly known as a cook or a chef. Culinary artists are responsible for skilfully preparing meals that are as pleasing to the palate as to the eye. Increasingly they are required to have a knowledge of the science of food and an understanding of diet and nutrition. They work primarily in restaurants, delicatessens, hospitals and other institutions. Kitchen conditions vary depending on the type of business, restaurant, nursing home, etc.
- 1 Careers in culinary arts
- 2 Occupational outlook
- 3 Culinary colleges around the world
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 Further reading
- 8 External links
Careers in culinary arts
Below is a list of the wide variety of culinary arts occupations.
- Consulting and Design Specialists – Work with restaurant owners in developing menus, the layout and design of dining rooms, and service protocols.
- Dining Room Service – Manage a restaurant, cafeterias, clubs, etc. Diplomas and degree programs are offered in restaurant management by colleges around the world.
- Food and Beverage Controller – Purchase and source ingredients in large hotels as well as manage the stores and stock control.
- Entrepreneurship – Deepen and invest in businesses, such as bakeries, restaurants, or specialty foods (such as (chocolates, cheese, etc.).
- Food and Beverage Managers – Manage all food and beverage outlets in hotels and other large establishments.
- Food Stylists and Photographers – Work with magazines, books, catalogs and other media to make food visually appealing.
- Food Writers and Food Critics – Communicate with the public on food trends, chefs and restaurants though newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books. Notables in this field include Julia Child, Craig Claiborne and James Beard.
- Research and Development Kitchens – Develop new products for commercial manufacturers and may also work in test kitchens for publications, restaurant chains, grocery chains, or others.
- Sales – Introduce chefs and business owners to new products and equipment relevant to food production and service.
- Instructors – Teach aspects of culinary arts in high school, vocational schools, colleges, recreational programs, and for specialty businesses (for example, the professional and recreational courses in baking at King Arthur Flour).
The occupation outlook for chefs, restaurant managers, dietitians, and nutritionists is fairly good, with "as fast as the average" growth. Increasingly a college education with formal qualifications is required for success in this field. The culinary industry continues to be male-dominated, with the latest statistics showing only 19% of all 'chefs and head cooks' being female.
Culinary colleges around the world
- School of Tourism and Hospitality, University of Johannesburg, South Africa,
- Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration, Manipal, Karnataka, India
- Philippine Women's University; Malate, Manila, West Triangle Quezon City, Calamba City, Laguna and Santa Cruz, Laguna
- St. Paul University Manila; Malate, Manila
- Center for Asian Culinary Studies, San Juan City, Metro Manila, and in Davao City, Philippines
- Center for Culinary Arts, Manila, Philippines
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines
- De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde School of Hotel Restaurant & Institution Management, Manila, Philippines
- Dumaguete Academy for Culinary Arts (DACA), Dumaguete City, Philippines
- La Consolacion College Manila School of HRM, Philippines
- Lyceum of the Philippines University, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines
- Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology School of HRM, Iligan City, Philippines
- Emilio Aguinaldo College, Ermita, Manila ; Dasmariñas, Cavite, Philippines
- Institute of Technical Education (College West) - School of Hospitality, Singapore
- Asia Pacific College, Magallanes, Makati
- Global City Innovative College - Culinary Arts Diploma Program; Fort Bonifacio, Global City, Taguig
- University of Technology, Jamaica
- Instituto de Banca y Comercio, Puerto Rico
- Universidad del Este, Puerto Rico
- Apicius International School of Hospitality, Florence, Italy
- Le Cordon Bleu, Paris, France
- Culinary Arts, Cork Institute of Technology(CIT) Cork, Ireland
- École des trois gourmandes, Paris, France
- HRC Culinary Academy, Bulgaria
- Institut Paul Bocuse, Ecully, France
- School of Culinary Arts and Food Technology, DIT, Dublin, Ireland
- School of Service Management, University of Brighton, Eastbourne, United Kingdom
- Scuola di Arte Culinaria Cordon Bleu, Florence, Italy
- Westminster Kingsway College (London)
- University of West London (London)
- culinary arts galway mayo institute of technology g.m.i.t ireland
- Academia de Artes Culinarias de Guatemala, Guatemala.
- Camosun College (Victoria, BC)
- Canadore College (North Bay, ON)
- Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa Culinary Arts Institute (Ottawa, ON)
- The Culinary Institute of Canada (Charlottetown, PE)
- Georgian College (Owen Sound, ON)
- George Brown College (Toronto, ON)
- Humber College (Toronto, ON)
- Institut de tourisme et d'hôtellerie du Québec (Montreal, QC)
- Liaison College (several Ontario locations, including Barrie, Brampton, Hamilton, Kitchener, Oakville, and Toronto)
- Niagara Culinary Institute (Niagara College, Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON)
- Nova Scotia Community College (Nova Scotia)
- Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts (Vancouver, BC)
- Vancouver Community College (Vancouver, BC)
- Culinary Institute of Vancouver Island, Nanaimo BC
Oceania New Zealand AUT University (Auckland University of Technology) MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology) Wintec, Waikato Institute of Technology
United States of America
- International Culinary Schools at The Art Institutes (Programs vary by school in North America)
- Baltimore International College, Baltimore, Maryland
- California School of Culinary Arts, Pasadena, California
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, California
- California State University Hospitality Management Education Initiative
- Chattahoochee Technical College in Marietta, Georgia
- Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago
- Coosa Valley Technical College, Rome, Georgia
- Cypress Community College Hotel, Restaurant Management, & Culinary Arts Program in Anaheim
- Classic Cooking Academy, Scottsdale, Arizona
- Center for Kosher Culinary Arts, Brooklyn, New York
- Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York
- Culinary Institute of America at Grey Stone in St. Helena, California
- The Culinary Institute of Charleston, South Carolina
- L'Ecole Culinaire in Saint Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennessee
- Glendale Community College (California)
- International Culinary Centers in NY and CA which include:
- French Culinary Institute
- The International Culinary Center School of Italian Studies
- Bespoke Institute
- Institute for the Culinary Arts at Metropolitan Community College, Omaha, Nebraska
- Johnson & Wales University, College of Culinary Arts
- Kendall College in Chicago, Illinois
- Lincoln College of Technology
- Manchester Community College in Connecticut
- New England Culinary Institute in Vermont
- Orlando Culinary Academy
- Pennsylvania Culinary Institute
- The Restaurant School at Walnut Hill College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,
- Scottsdale Culinary Institute
- Secchia Institute for Culinary Education: Grand Rapids Community College, Grand Rapids, MI
- The Southeast Culinary and Hospitality College in Bristol, Virginia
- Sullivan University Louisville, Kentucky
- Los Angeles Trade–Technical College
- Texas Culinary Academy
- McBride, Kate, ed. The Professional Chef/ the Culinary Institute of America, 8th ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, INC, 2006.
- Beal, Eileen. Choosing a career in the restaurant industry. New York: Rosen Pub. Group, 1997.
- Institute for Research. Careers and jobs in the restaurant business: jobs, management, ownership. Chicago: The Institute, 1977.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
culinary art — noun the practice or manner of preparing food or the food so prepared • Syn: ↑cuisine • Hypernyms: ↑cooking, ↑cookery, ↑preparation • Hyponyms: ↑dim sum, ↑haute cuisine, ↑ … Useful english dictionary
International Exhibition of Culinary Art — The International Exhibition of Culinary Art (in German: Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung or IKA) termed the Culinary Olympics, is a quadrennial chef competition, and the biggest culinary exhibition in the world. Last held in 2008, the… … Wikipedia
HTA School of Culinary Art — The HTA School of Culinary Art is a chef school located in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was founded in 1996 by Stephen Billingham.External links* [http://www.htatraining.co.za/ Official website] … Wikipedia
Culinary — Cu li*na*ry (k? l? n? r?), a. [L. culinarius, fr. culina kitchen, perh. akin to carbo coal: cf. F. culinare.] Relating to the kitchen, or to the art of cookery; used in kitchens; as, a culinary vessel; the culinary art. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
Art Smith (chef) — Art Smith Born March 1, 1960 (1960 03 01) (age 51) Jasper, Florida Cooking style Southern cuisine … Wikipedia
Art Institute of Atlanta — Infobox University name = The Art Institute of Atlanta established = 1949 president = Janet S. Day type = Private College city = Atlanta state = GA country = USA website = [http://www.artinstitutes.edu/atlanta/ www.artinstitutes.edu/atlanta] The… … Wikipedia
Art Institute of Pittsburgh — Infobox University name =The Art Institute of Pittsburgh native name = latin name = motto =The College for Creative Minds established =1921 type =Private endowment = staff = faculty = president =Mr. George L. Pry principal = rector = chancellor … Wikipedia
Art Institutes International Minnesota — Infobox School |name = The Art Institutes International Minnesota established = 1964 type = Culinary, Animation, Computer Graphics, Advertising, Hospitality, Interior, Visual Effects, and Web Designing College location = 15 South 9th Street… … Wikipedia
Art Institute of California — Orange County — The Art Institute of California Orange County is located in Santa Ana, California and is part of The Art Institutes system of over 35 educational institutions. It is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools to… … Wikipedia
Art Institute of Philadelphia — The Art Institute of Philadelphia is a private for profit school of art. It is primarily located at 1622 Chestnut St., however, they use several more buildings throughout the Center City District of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. They offer a wide… … Wikipedia