Virgin Trains


Virgin Trains

Infobox Rail companies
bgcolor=B30212
abbr=VT
image_filename=390018 at Crewe railway station.jpg
widthpx=300px
franchise=InterCity West Coast
9th March 1997 – 31st March 2012
Cross-Country
5th January 1997 – 10th November 2007 (originally 2012)
logo_filename=Virgin_trains_logo_(updated).gif
nameforarea=route
regions=London - Scotland,
London - West Midlands,
London - North West
secregions=London-North Wales,
West Midlands - Scotland
fleet=53 "Pendolino" sets
21 "Super Voyager" sets
16 British Rail Class 57/3 diesel locomotives
stations=42
stationsop=17
parent_company=Virgin Group / Stagecoach Group
website=www.virgintrains.co.uk
websitename=www.virgintrains.co.uk

Virgin Trains is a train operating company in the United Kingdom, which currently provides services from London Euston to the North West, West Midlands and Scotland on the West Coast Main Line. Prior to 11 November 2007, the company also provided services linking the south and south-west of England with the north of England via Manchester and Scotland, via Birmingham. Although it is branded as part of the Virgin Group, their share in the company is only 51%, with the remaining 49% held by Stagecoach Group.

Virgin Trains was formed to take advantage of the privatisation of British Rail in the mid 1990s, and was initially successful in winning two: InterCity West Coast and InterCity Cross Country [cite web|title=Passenger Rail Franchises - Virgin Cross Country|url=http://www.atoc-comms.org/franchised-passenger-services-virgin-cross-country-trains.php|publisher=Association of Train Operating Companies] . The two franchises, although separate companies (in common ownership) [cite web|title=Site Terms & Conditions|url=http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/termsandconditions/default.aspx|publisher=Virgin Trains] both legally and operationally, were marketed as a single brand.

Virgin Trains routes

Current routes

The Pendolino fleet is allocated to the Manchester Traincare Centre at Longsight , with lighter maintenance and overnight stabling also carried out at Wembley (London), Oxley ( Wolverhampton ), Edge Hill ( Liverpool ) and Polmadie ( Glasgow ). Longsight is also ' home ' to the Class 57 ' Thunderbird' fleet. Thunderbird locomotives are stationed at strategic points along the WCML such as Rugby, Stafford and Preston.

The Class 221 Super Voyager fleet is allocated to Central Rivers depot near Burton on Trent, Staffordshire.

Past fleet

* [http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/ Virgin Trains web site]
* [http://www.v-flyer.com/pendolino.asp Virgin Trains Pendolino Seat Plans] from V-Flyer, customer created site.
* [http://www.v-flyer.com/voyager.asp Virgin Trains Voyager Seat Plans] from V-Flyer, customer created site.
* [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6286904.stm BBC News on Cross Country loss]
s-ttl|title=Operator of Cross-Country franchise
years=1997 — 2007

- s-ttl|title=Operator of InterCity West Coast franchise
years=1997 — 2012


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Virgin Trains — Firma Virgin Trains Konzession …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Virgin Trains — Тип частная компания Основатели Ричард Брэнсон Материнская компания Virgin Group Сайт …   Википедия

  • Virgin Trains — est une entreprise ferroviaire britannique, filiale du groupe Virgin, fondé par Richard Branson, groupe diversifié (musique, distribution, boissons, transport aérien...). Créée à l occasion de l …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Virgin-Group — Unternehmensform Ltd. Unternehmenssitz London, Vereinigtes Königreich …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Virgin Group — Тип Частная компания …   Википедия

  • Virgin Group — Rechtsform Ltd. Gründung 1970 Sitz London …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Virgin Drinks — Virgin Group Logo de Virgin Group Création 1989 Fondateur(s) Richard Branson …   Wikipédia en Français

  • Virgin Holidays — is a company within Sir Richard Branson s Virgin Group with a vision to provide the ‘best holidays in the whole wide world’. The company was formed in 1985 a year after the successful launch of Virgin Atlantic Airways in June 1984. Initially… …   Wikipedia

  • Virgin CrossCountry — Infobox Rail companies bgcolor=B30212 image filename=Virgin Voyager 220003 2005 06 09 03.jpg widthpx=300px franchise=Cross Country 1997 – 2007 (originally 2012) logo filename=Virgin trains logo (updated).gif nameforarea=route regions=South and… …   Wikipedia

  • Virgin Group — Infobox Company company name = Virgin Group company company type = Private (Limited liability) foundation = 1970 (Incorporation: 1989) location city = London, England location country = UK key people = Richard Branson, Chairman Stephen Murphy,… …   Wikipedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.