- Origin (band)
Origin Origin Topeka, Kansas Genres Technical death metal Years active 1997–present Labels Relapse Records Associated acts The Faceless, Gorguts, Unmerciful, Cannibal Corpse Website Origin @ Myspace Members Paul Ryan
Past members Jeremy Turner
Origin is an American death metal band from Topeka, Kansas, founded in 1998. They have been recognized by music critics and metal fans alike for combining a harsh sound with a high level of technical skill.
Origin's music is characterized by almost exclusive use of several specific, difficult playing techniques: blast beats on the drum kit, multiple death growled vocals, and arpeggios on both the guitars and the bass guitar. Their songs often have uneven, shifting time signatures. In spite of Origin's obscurity, the extremity of their music, and their lack of an official website, in 2008 they scored a minor American hit with the release of their fourth studio album, Antithesis.
Origin grew out of a series of jam sessions in 1997 involving guitarist/vocalists Paul Ryan and Jeremy Turner. The band took shape over a period of about half a year. Bassist Clint Appelhanz and vocalist Mark Manning joined in October 1997, and drummer George Fluke joined in January 1998. The band members then decided to tour under the name Origin.
On May 23, 1998, the band opened for Suffocation. That summer, Origin recorded a four-song, self-financed and self-distributed demo, A Coming Into Existence. In October, the band secured an opening slot on the Death Across America Tour, which also featured Nile, Cryptopsy, Oppressor and Gorguts.
In February 1999, George Fluke was replaced by John Longstreth and Doug Williams replaced Clint Appelhanz. With the new lineup, Origin secured a show with Napalm Death on April 14. Various other regional shows followed, including a spot at the November to Dismember Metalfest in Texas. On December 16, Origin signed to Relapse Records.
On July 11, 2000, Origin released its first studio album, Origin. Origin played the March Metal Meltdown in New Jersey and was invited to take part in Contaminated 2000. They shared the stage with Exhumed and Cephalic Carnage, and participated in another November to Disember in California. Origin joined forces with Poland’s Vader, along with label mates Cephalic Carnage and Dying Fetus, for the high-profile Death Across America 2000 Tour. Soon after, Origin embarked on yet another tour, this time alongside Candiria, Cryptopsy and Poison the Well. They made another Milwaukee Metalfest appearance in 2001, and participated in Summer Slaughter that year (the 1st version of "Summer Slaughter Tour" under a different booking agency Digger). Origin then secured a headline tour before beginning work on another album. The result, Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas, introduced two new members, James Lee on vocals and Mike Flores on bass guitar.
Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas
Immediately following the release of Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas, Origin hit the road as part of a summer metal tour with Nile, Arch Enemy and Hate Eternal. Following the tour, Jeremy Turner resigned from the band and Clint Appelhanz (this time playing guitar instead of bass guitar) returned. Origin toured with Immolation, Vader, and The Berzerker, followed by another tour with All That Remains, Scar Culture and Crematorium. Unforeseen problems arose, and Origin had to cancel the tour with Nuclear Assault in January 2003. Shortly thereafter John Longstreth resigned from the band; James King was chosen to fill the spot.
The band played its first show with the new line-up in September 2003 in Topeka, Kansas. At the concert, they shot a music video for the song "Portal," from Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas. The band then landed a headlining west coast tour in January 2004 with Uphill Battle. In the summer, Origin toured the Midwest, playing the Milwaukee Metalfest 2004 and The Texas Death and Grindfest with label mates Soilent Green and Kill the Client.
Echoes of Decimation
On March 15, 2005, Origin released Echoes of Decimation, its third studio album. Fan reaction was mixed. A review of Echoes in the student newspaper of Metropolitan Community College-Longview in Kansas City called it monotonous, yet nonetheless impressive due to the band members' instrumental prowess.
Numerous United States tours immediately followed, including headlining performances at the New England Metal and Hardcore Festival and Ohio Deathfest. The band then joined forces with Malevolent Creation and Animosity for a summer North American tour that was sold out at many venues. The tour for Origin was 52 days long, and only three shows had to be cancelled.
As of spring 2006, James King and Clint Appelhanz had left Origin, and had joined death metal/grindcore group Unmerciful, along with Jeremy Turner and Tony Reust. In April, John Longstreth returned to Origin, and in May, the band played their first European show. They also embarked on another summer headlining tour across North America, with Paul Ryan performing all guitar parts.
In February and March 2007, Origin played in Europe with label mates Misery Index and Necrophagist, as well as newly signed fellow Topeka locals Diskreet. After the end of this tour, Jeremy Turner rejoined Origin and the band began to work on its next album. They finished recording in February 2008, and the resulting album, Antithesis, was released April 1, 2008, and peaked at #21 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart. The band released a music video for the Antithesis song "Finite" on May 23, 2008. The video began to be shown on television the next day, premiering on MTV2's Headbanger's Ball.
- A Coming Into Existence (1998)
- Origin (2000)
- Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas (2002)
- Echoes of Decimation (2005)
- Antithesis (2008)
- Entity (2011)
- Paul Ryan – guitar, vocals (1997–present)
- John Longstreth – drums (1999–2003, 2006–present)
- Mike Flores – bass, vocals (2001–present)
- Jason Keyser - live vocals (2011–present)
- Mark Manning – vocals (1997–2001)
- Clint Appelhanz – bass(1997–1999) Guitar (2002–2006)
- Doug Williams – bass (1999–2001)
- George Fluke – drums (1998–1999)
- James King – drums (2003–2006)
- James Lee – vocals (2001–2010)
- Mica Meneke – vocals (2010)
- Jeremy Turner – guitar, vocals (1997–2002, 2007–2010)
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k "Origin --- Artist Biography". Origin --- Official Relapse Records Band Page. Relapse Records. March 2008. http://shop.relapse.com/artist/artist.aspx?ArtistID=10076. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ a b Prato, Greg. "Allmusic Review: Antithesis by Origin". Allmusic. Macrovision Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1335339. Retrieved 2009-02-07. "The instrumental prowess of Origin's players is mighty impressive here. But be forewarned—there's not an ounce of melody detected anywhere."
- ^ York, William (2002). "Allmusic Biography: Origin". Allmusic. Macrovision Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p435516. Retrieved 2009-02-19. "Ridiculously technical, fast, and punishing."
- ^ a b c Frink, Troy (October 10, 2005). "Origin's death metal could kill someone". Longview Current. The College Publisher. http://media.www.longviewcurrent.com/media/storage/paper359/news/2005/10/14/Reviews/Origins.Death.Metal.Could.Kill.Someone-1022382.shtml. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- ^ a b c Prato, Greg (2008-01-04). "Allmusic Review: Informis Infinitas Inhumanitas by Origin". Allmusic. Macrovision Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r592493. Retrieved 2009-02-19. "But, as amazing as much of the playing is, some of the songwriting seems to suffer under the weight of all the technicality."
- ^ "Origin on MySpace Music". myspace.com. February 18, 2009. http://www.myspace.com/origin. Retrieved 2009-02-18.
- ^ Origin used to have an official, separate website at www.origin-site.com. They no longer use that domain, and their MySpace profile now functions as their official website.
- ^ a b "Artist Chart History: Origin". Billboard. Nielsen Company. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.chartFormatGroupName=Albums&model.vnuArtistId=402108&model.vnuAlbumId=1109372. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- ^ a b "ORIGIN: ‘Antithesis’ Lands In Billboard Charts; Announce May U.S. Tour". News from Relapse Records. Relapse Records. 2008-04-09. http://shop.relapse.com/content/news.aspx?NewsItemID=647. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
- ^ The news post at Relapse Records' website, announcing the release of this album, is dated February 2, 2004. However, Allmusic and Amazon.com both state that the album was released on March 15, 2005. The news post itself states that the album was recorded in November 2004. The incorrect date arises from confusing post formatting—the post was created on 2004-02-02 but its content was not added until much later.
- ^ "Allmusic Overview: Echoes of Decimation by Origin". Allmusic. Macrovision Corporation. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1335339. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- ^ "ORIGIN: Welcome Back Drummer; Announce Summer Tour Plans". News from Relapse Records. Relapse Records. April 16, 2006. http://shop.relapse.com/content/news_all.aspx?NewsItemID=302. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- ^ "Band History". Origin MySpace Blog. MySpace. July 15, 2007. http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=76294436&blogID=139454014. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- ^ "ORIGIN: Completes Work On Antithesis". News from Relapse Records. Relapse Records. February 11, 2008. http://shop.relapse.com/content/news_all.aspx?NewsItemID=617. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- ^ a b "ORIGIN: Premiere "Finite" Video". News from Relapse Records. Relapse Records. 2008-05-23. http://shop.relapse.com/content/news_all.aspx?NewsItemID=678. Retrieved 2009-02-07.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Origin (Band) — Origin Allgemeine Informationen Genre(s) Brutal Death Metal, Technical Death Metal Gründung 1997 Gründungsmitglieder … Deutsch Wikipedia
Origin — Origin, origins, or original may refer to: Contents 1 Beginning of the universe and life 2 Science and technology 3 Computer … Wikipedia
Origin — (englisch origin „Ursprung, Beginn, Quelle, Verursacher“ etc.): Origin ist eine wissenschaftliche Software zur Analyse und Darstellung von Daten, siehe Origin (Software) Origin Systems war ein US amerikanischer Computerspiele Hersteller Origin… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Origin of Symmetry — Studio album by Muse Released 17 July 2001 … Wikipedia
Origin Edition — Studio album by Suburban Legends Released 1999 … Wikipedia
Origin (Evanescence album) — Origin Demo album by Evanescence Released November 4, 2000 (U.S.) … Wikipedia
Origin (Borknagar album) — Origin Studio album by Borknagar Released October 30, 2006 … Wikipedia
Origin of Symmetry — Studioalbum von Muse Veröffentlichung 18. Juni 2001 Label Mushroom Records Format … Deutsch Wikipedia
band — Ⅰ. band  ► NOUN 1) a flat, thin strip or loop of material used as a fastener, for reinforcement, or as decoration. 2) a stripe or strip of a different colour or composition from its surroundings: a band of cloud. 3) a range of values or a… … English terms dictionary
Origin:Orphan — Studio album by The Hidden Cameras Released September 22, 2009 Genre Indie rock Label … Wikipedia