- Parliament House, Brisbane
Parliament House in
Brisbaneis the seat of the Parliament of Queensland, housing the Legislative Assembly. It is situated on the corner of George Street and Alice Street. Parliament House is bordered by the Queensland University of Technologyand the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens.
Queenslandwas established as colony separate from New South Walesin 1859 its new Parliament met in temporary quarters at the Old Convict Barracks in Queen Street. This facility sufficed whilst the Queensland Government directed its funds to the construction of Government House. It was in 1863 that plans for a new Parliament House were finally selected from an Australia-wide design competition, and 1864 the first foundation stone for the building was laid. The George Street frontage was completed in 1868 in French Renaissancestyle with its roof made of Mount Isa copper. The colonnades were built in 1878 and construction on the Alice Street frontage commenced in 1887. A 22-storey Parliamentary Annexe was built during the 1980s within the grounds of the Old Parliament House with a new Legislative Chamber on the 5th floor. Art exhibitions and other displays are frequently staged in the spacious ground floor areas of the Annexe.
Free public guided tours are held in Parliament House. Also, a gift shop, selling souvenirs and memorabilia, is located in the main foyer.
Parliament House was also used as one of the sites for the 1980s Australian series of .
* [http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au Parliament of Queensland]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.