- Educational evaluation
Educational evaluation is the
evaluationprocess of characterizing and appraising some aspect/s of an educational process.
There are two common purposes in educational evaluation which are, at times, in conflict with one another. Educational institutions usually require evaluation data to demonstrate effectiveness to funders and other stakeholders, and to provide a measure of performance for marketing purposes. Educational evaluation is also a professional activity that individual educators need to undertake if they intend to continuously review and enhance the learning they are endeavouring to facilitate.
tandards for educational evaluation
Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluationpublished three sets of standards for educational evaluations. "The Personnel Evaluation Standards" ref|Personnel was published in 1988, "The Program Evaluation Standards" (2nd edition) ref|Program was published in 1994, and "The Student Evaluations Standards" ref|Students was published in 2003.
Each publication presents and elaborates a set of standards for use in a variety of educational settings. The standards provide guidelines for designing, implementing, assessing and improving the identified form of evaluation. Each of the standards has been placed in one of four fundamental categories to promote evaluations that are proper, useful, feasible, and accurate.
The Personnel Evaluation Standards
* The propriety standards require that evaluations be conducted legally, ethically, and with due regard for the welfare of evaluatees and clients involved in.
* The utility standards are intended to guide evaluations so that they will be informative, timely, and influential.
* The feasibility standards call for evaluation systems that are as easy to implement as possible, efficient in their use of time and resources, adequately funded, and viable from a number of other standpoints.
* The accuracy standards require that the obtained information be technically accurate and that conclusions be linked logically to the data.
The Program Evaluation Standards
* The utility standards are intended to ensure that an evaluation will serve the information needs of intended users.
* The feasibility standards are intended to ensure that an evaluation will be realistic, prudent, diplomatic, and frugal.
* The propriety standards are intended to ensure that an evaluation will be conducted legally, ethically, and with due regard for the welfare of those involved in the evaluation, as well as those affected by its results.
* The accuracy standards are intended to ensure that an evaluation will reveal and convey technically adequate information about the features that determine worth or merit of the program being evaluated.
The Student Evaluation Standards
* The Propriety standards help ensure that student evaluations are conducted lawfully, ethically, and with regard to the rights of students and other persons affected by student evaluation.
* The Utility standards promote the design and implementation of informative, timely, and useful student evaluations.
* The Feasibility standards help ensure that student evaluations are practical; viable; cost-effective; and culturally, socially, and politically appropriate.
* The Accuracy standards help ensure that student evaluations will provide sound, accurate, and credible information about student learning and performance.
* Evaluation methods and techniques
Standardized testing and public policy
Notes and references
# Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation. (1988). " [http://www.wmich.edu/evalctr/jc/PERSTNDS-SUM.htm The Personnel Evaluation Standards: How to Assess Systems for Evaluating Educators.] " Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
# Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation. (1994). " [http://www.wmich.edu/evalctr/jc/PGMSTNDS-SUM.htm The Program Evaluation Standards, 2nd Edition.] " Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
# Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation. (2003). " [http://www.wmich.edu/evalctr/jc/briefing/ses/ The Student Evaluation Standards: How to Improve Evaluations of Students.] " Newbury Park, CA: Corwin Press.
* [http://www.eval.org American Evaluation Association]
** [http://www.eval.org/TIGs/tig.html Topical interest groups (TIGs)]
*** [http://www.tamu.edu/marshome/Forum.html Assessment in Higher Education]
*** [http://www.courses.dsu.edu/TIG/ Distance Education and Other Educational Technologies]
*** [http://danr.ucop.edu/eee-aea/ Extension Education Evaluation]
*** [http://evaluation.wmich.edu/evalgrad/ Graduate Student and New Evaluators]
*** [http://www.evaluand.com/aeaprek12/ PreK-12 Educational Evaluation]
*** [http://home.okstate.edu/homepages.nsf/toc/tigtoe2 Teaching of Evaluation]
* [http://www.aera.net American Educational Research Association]
** [http://www.aera.net/divisions/?id=73 Division H School Evaluation & Program Development]
** [http://www.aera.net/AERAShopper/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=AERWSTDEPT Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing]
* [http://ahe.cqu.edu.au Assessment in Higher Education] web site.
* [http://www.wmich.edu/evalctr/jc/ Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation]
* [http://www.evaluationwiki.org The EvaluationWiki] - The mission of EvaluationWiki is to make freely available a compendium of up-to-date information and resources to everyone involved in the science and practice of evaluation. The EvaluationWiki is presented by the non-profit [http://www.evaluationwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Evaluation_Resource_Institute Evaluation Resource Institute] .
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation — The Joint Committee on Standards for Educational Evaluation ref|JC is an American/Canadian based Standards Developer Organization (SDO). The Joint Committee represents a coalition of major professional associations formed in 1975 to help improve… … Wikipedia
Evaluation — is systematic determination of merit, worth, and significance of something or someone using criteria against a set of standards. Evaluation often is used to characterize and appraise subjects of interest in a wide range of human enterprises,… … Wikipedia
Evaluation — oder Evaluierung (von lat. valere: gesund, stark, geeignet sein; vermögen; gelten) bedeutet allgemein die Beschreibung, Analyse und Bewertung von Projekten, Prozessen und Organisationseinheiten. Dabei können Kontext, Struktur, Prozess und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Educational technology — Educational Research Disciplines Educational evaluation … Wikipedia
Evaluation approaches — are conceptually distinct ways of thinking about, designing and conducting evaluation efforts. Many of the evaluation approaches in use today make unique contributions to solving important problems, while others refine existing approaches in some … Wikipedia
Educational research — is research conducted to investigate behavioral patterns in pupils, students, teachers and other participants in schools and other educational institutions. Such research is often conducted by examining work products such as documents and… … Wikipedia
Educational psychology — Psychology … Wikipedia
Evaluation in der Drogenprävention — Evaluationen in der Sucht und Drogenprävention haben die Aufgabe, die Wirksamkeit einer Interventionsmaßnahme, eines Präventionskonzeptes oder Projektes mit den Mitteln der empirischen Forschung zu überprüfen. Hierbei können einerseits die… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Evaluation authentique — Évaluation authentique Depuis quelques années, on voit poindre dans le monde de la mesure et évaluation une recrudescence d’intérêt pour l’évaluation authentique. Dans la littérature spécialisée américaine, cette approche se retrouve sous les… … Wikipédia en Français
Evaluation (disambiguation) — Evaluation is the process of characterizing and appraising something of interest or of determining the value of an expression (mathematics). Computer science * determining the value of an expression (programming) * Eager evaluation or strict… … Wikipedia