- Love Thy Trophy
Infobox Television episode
Title =Love Thy Trophy
Series =Family Guy
Caption =Peter and co. with their trophy.
March 14, 2000
Mike Barkerand Matt Weitzman
Director =Jack Dyer
Episode list =
List of Family Guy episodes
Season list = Infobox Family Guy Season_2
Prev =If I’m Dyin’, I’m Lyin’
Death Is a Bitch
"Love Thy Trophy" is an episode from the FOX animated series "
Family Guy". It is the 12th episode of " Family Guy" to be aired. It was produced for season one but aired in season two. The episode title is probably a parodyof the famous Christiansaying in the Bible: "Love Thy Neighbor".
For Quahog's yearly harvest festival parade with floats, the theme by Peter, "That episode of "
Who's the Boss?" where Tony sees Angela naked in the shower", is chosen.
The float built by Peter, Quagmire, Cleveland and Joe wins, but the men can't agree at whose house the golden clam trophy should reside. They eventually decide on having it be placed over the road, held up by the statues from the float. The next day, the trophy is found to be missing, and everyone immediately suspects each other of stealing it.
Meanwhile, Meg gets a job at a pancake house so she can buy herself a
Pradabag. She lets the restaurateur, Flappy, believe that Stewie is her baby so she'll get the job. She soon realizes that allowing customers to think Stewie is a crack-addicted baby and that she is his single mother makes people give her higher tips. Stewie plays along because he loves the restaurant's pancakes.
Things come to a head when a woman from
Child Protective Servicesasks Flappy for Meg's address. Upon questioning the Griffin's neighbors, they show disdain for the Griffins because of the fight over the missing trophy, leading CPS to place Stewie in a foster home. Upon finding this out, Peter, Lois, Quagmire, Cleveland, Loretta, Joe, and Bonnie put their argument aside to bail Stewie out. When an espionage mission fails, they instead trade Meg's newly-acquired Prada bag for Stewie, but they still don’t know what happened to the trophy. That night, it is revealed (by Rod Serling) that Brian buried it in the Griffins' yard (he has an uncontrollable habit of burying shiny objects). Brian knocks Serling out with a shovel and proceeds to bury him as well.
*Quagmire's first name (Glen) is revealed by the woman from Child Services.
*Lois calls Bonnie "Debbie" at one point.
* According to the "Family Guy" Volume 2 DVD in a featurette about the show’s politically incorrect humor, Seth MacFarlane cites this episode as the one that solidifed Glenn Quagmire’s character as a (to quote MacFarlane), “heartless sex hound” (cf. the scene after he has sex with the social worker, she asks, “Glenn, honey, I have a question for you: what do you do for a living?” to which Quagmire [and, with a split screen effect, Seth speaking in Quagmire’s voice on the DVD featurette] replies, “Hey, I got a question for you too: why are you still here?”)
* Lois points out that Peter’s idea is
esoteric; he believes it means delicious. Esoteric actually means something which is recognized by a select few, i.e., a rather specific cultural reference.
* This episode marks the first appearance of Cleveland and Loretta's son,
Edits made in syndication:
*The "Who's the Boss?" floats scene, the Mona tree bark on the age spots comment is cut out.
*At the child agency, the scene between Lois and Chris talking about where babies come from is cut out.
*When Loretta is talking, her uses of the word "damn" are cut out.
Charlton Hestonchooses the winning parade theme by shooting pigeons who have suggestions for parade themes tied to their legs. This is a reference to the fact that Heston was president of the National Rifle Associationat the time, and a strong supporter of gun ownership. His line “Let my pigeons go!” is a parody of his line “Let my people go,” from the film "The Ten Commandments".
*Cleveland found out a way to get free
Cinemaxfor Spooner Street.
* Peter’s parade theme is “The Episode of "Who’s the Boss?" where Tony sees Angela naked in the shower.” "Who’s the Boss?" was an ABC
sitcom, lasting from 1984until 1992, starring Tony Danzaand Judith Light. The episode in question was the second episode of the sitcom, titled “Briefless Encounter.”
* Stewie’s letter blocks spell “REDRUM,” or “MURDER” backwards, a reference to the
1980 horror film"The Shining".
* In a cutaway, Quagmire tries to guess a woman’s astrological sign. After two incorrect guesses, he says “Well, I "know" you’re not a Virgo”, causing the woman to punch him. Virgo is generally associated with purity and
virginity. On the floor, Quagmire says “From down here, you look like a Pisces,” a reference to the vagina’s supposed resemblance to a Vesica Piscis.
Rod Serling, former host of "The Twilight Zone", appears in the episode to give a typical exposition seen on the show. The neighborhood strife is similar to the episode “ The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street.”
* Under Meg’s encouragement, Stewie says he is “cuckoo for crack,” a reference to the slogan “Cuckoo for
* When Stewie says “My God, I’ve been adopted by a Benetton ad!”, this refers to the overtly multicultural
Benetton Groupclothing advertisements.
* When the children are debating about Santa's race, the Chinese girl “Mulan,” referring to the Chinese folk character
Hua Mulanand the Walt Disneycharacter Mulan.
* In the end credits, while Stewie is coming down from his pancake
addiction, he is haunted by a vision of himself crawling on the ceiling. This is a parodyof a scene in the 1996film "Trainspotting".
* Callaghan, Steve. “Love Thy Trophy.” "Family Guy: The Official Episode Guide Seasons 1–3". New York: HarperCollins, 2005. 56–59.
* Delarte, Alonso. “Nitpicking Family Guy: Season 2.” "Bob’s Poetry Magazine" May 2005: 11–12. [http://bobspoetry.com/Bobs02My.pdf http://bobspoetry.com/Bobs02My.pdf]
*FGwiki|Love Thy Trophy
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Love Thy Trophy — Episodio de Padre de familia Rod Serling fue referenciado en dos ocasiones en el episodio Título Me encanta ese trofeo (España) Amo los trofeos (Hispanoamérica) … Wikipedia Español
Love Thy Trophy — Эпизод «Гриффинов» «Love Thy Trophy» Питер с друзьями держат свою нагр … Википедия
Brian in Love — Infobox Television episode Title =Brian in Love Series =Family Guy Caption =Brian cleaning after an accident. Season =2 Episode =4 Airdate =March 7, 2000 Production =2ACX01 Writer =Gary Janetti Director =Jack Dyer Guests =Tom Kenny, D.D. Howard,… … Wikipedia
Brian in Love — Эпизод «Гриффинов» «Brian in Love» … Википедия
Rock of Love: Charm School — Cast of Rock of Love: Charm School Format Reality Created by Cris Abrego … Wikipedia
Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School — Cast of Flavor of Love Girls: Charm School Format Reality Created by Cris Abrego … Wikipedia
Cleveland Brown, Jr. — Cleveland Brown, Jr. Family Guy / The Cleveland Show character Cleveland Brown, Jr. as he appears as of 2009 First appearance … Wikipedia
Death Is a Bitch — Family Guy episode Death has come to take Peter. Episode no. Sea … Wikipedia
Death Is a Bitch — Эпизод «Гриффинов» «Death Is a Bitch» Смерть приш … Википедия
The King Is Dead — Эпизод «Гриффинов» «The King Is Dead» … Википедия