- Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Explosive Defence Group
The Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Explosive Defence Group (abbreviation: CBRE; Chinese: 生化武器、辐射性物质及爆炸物防御团) is a group formed by various Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) units to enhance counter-terrorism capabilities and provide an immediate response in the event of chemical and biological incidents.
The CBRE Group also works closely with the Singapore Civil Defence Force, Singapore Police Force, Ministry of Health, Ministry of the Environment, as well as the Defence Science and Technology Agency and DSO National Laboratories.
The group consists of two battalions from the Singapore Combat Engineers — the 36th and the 39th, specializing in Explosive Ordnance Disposal and chemical, biological and radiological defence respectively.
The Medical Response Force serves as the elite medical arm of the CBRE. It is tasked with managing and treating casualties from a chemical or biological attack. Apart from CBRE as a whole, it too, works closely with the Singapore Civil Defence Force.
In 17 January 2003, CBRE Defence Group conducted an exercise code-named Exercise Diamond Shield to demonstrate its capability in counter-terrorism. Another exercise was conducted on 20 January 2006, with simulated multiple CBRE incidents.
They also featured prominently in Exercise Northstar V, held on 8 January 2006 and involving an enactment of bombing and chemical attacks at four Mass Rapid Transit stations and a bus interchange.
- ^ Julia Ng (2006-01-20). "Singapore holds exercise to test counter-radiological capabilities". Channel NewsAsia. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/189210/1/.html.
- ^ "SAF concludes bilateral exercise with Australia". Channel NewsAsia. 2005-09-30. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/171065/1/.html.
- "About SAF's Chemical and Biological Defence Capability". Ministry of Defence (Singapore). http://www.mindef.gov.sg/chembiodefence/. Retrieved 2007-09-10.
- Felix Siew (April 2003). "Breathe Easy". Cyberpioneer. http://www.mindef.gov.sg/cyberpioneer/backissues_apr03_1.htm.
- "DPM Dr Tony Tan Unveils SAF’s Chemical and Biological Defence Capability" (Press release). 2003-01-17. http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/news_and_events/nr/2003/jan/17jan03_nr.html.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear — For the cyanogen bromide molecular formula, see CBrN. CBRN (pronounced C BORN or C BURN) is an initialism for chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear. It is used to refer to situations in which any of these four hazards have presented… … Wikipedia
Defence and Security Co-operation Treaty — … Wikipedia
Total Defence — ( zh. 全民防卫; ms. Pertahanan Mutlak; Tamil: ) is a concept introduced by the government of Singapore in 1984 to improve readiness in matters related to the defence and national security of Singapore, and is partly based on similar concepts in… … Wikipedia
Iran and weapons of mass destruction — This article is about Iran and weapons of mass destruction. For Iran s nuclear power program, see Nuclear program of Iran. Weapons of mass destruction … Wikipedia
Ministry of Defence Police — Abbreviation MDP Badge of the Ministry of Defence Police. Motto … Wikipedia
Pakistan and weapons of mass destruction — Pakistan Nuclear program start date January 20, 1972 First nuclear weapon test May 28, 1998 First fusion weap … Wikipedia
People's Republic of China and weapons of mass destruction — Not to be confused with Republic of China and weapons of mass destruction. Weapons of mass destruction … Wikipedia
Canada and weapons of mass destruction — Weapons of mass destruction … Wikipedia
Counter-terrorism in Singapore — is a series of measures implemented in Singapore to detect and prevent terrorism, and to minimise damage from such terrorist acts should they occur. These measures involve all levels of society, including defence, internal security, border and… … Wikipedia
Singapore Combat Engineers — Infobox Military Unit unit name= Singapore Combat Engineers caption= Singapore Combat Engineers insignia country= Singapore allegiance= branch= Army type=Combat Engineering dates= April 1967 Present specialization=Combat Engineering, EOD, counter … Wikipedia