MegaLink Operating area Philippines Members 19 (active) ATMs 2,921 Founded 1989
MegaLink (also spelled Megalink) is an interbank network connecting the ATM networks of nineteen* members in the Philippines with a total of more than 2,921* ATMs nationwide and handling more than 795,000* transactions a day. MegaLink is the largest interbank network in the Philippines with 13.1 million cardholders.
(*January 2011 Data)
MegaLink was formed in September of 1989 by Equitable Banking Corporation (now merged with BDO), Far East Bank and Trust Company (now part of BPI), Philippine National Bank, and United Coconut Planters Bank, MegaLink, with its fundamental belief in universal sharing, became the first operational shared ATM network in the Philippines. It was launched on March 19, 1990 with shared resources of 88 ATMs, a base of 130,000 cardholders, and an average of 200 transactions a day. MegaLink is the first Philippine consortium to link with both BancNet and Expressnet. It's Founding and Former Member Equitable Banking Corporation merged with the Philippine Commercial International Bank(PCI Bank) one of the founding members of BancNet merged to form Equitable PCI Bank thus it became the first bank to be a member of both Megalink and BancNet.
- 1990 MegaLink became the first shared operational ATM network in the Philippines.
- 1992 The founding banks of ATM Bersama, an Indonesian interbank network, turn to MegaLink's expertise as their model for a shared services network which eventually led to a partnership.
- 1993 MegaLink launched the Debit Bills Payment over the ATM, as well as Purchases via POS terminals. MegaLink also received the prestigious Asian Institute of Management Award for Information Technology Management and becomes the only ATM network to gain the distinction.
- 1994 MegaLink introduced Telephone banking (Phonelink) as the world's first consortium-based phone banking facility.
- 1995 With its belief of universal sharing, MegaLink forged an alliance with BancNet for ATM transactions, and links up with VISA PLUS and MasterCard Cirrus through Equitable Bank for International transactions.
- 1996 MegaLink hosted the 1st Philippine Electronic Banking Conference and Exhibition attended by over 300 participants from the industry.
- 1997 MegaLink interconnected with Expressnet for ATM transactions.
- 1998 MegaLink activated the Automated Reconciliation and Settlement System as well as MIS with Transaction Query system to its members.
- 2000 MegaLink successfully migrated through Y2K.
- 2002 MegaLink launched the Exposure Limit Management System (MELMS) to manage inter-bank settlement risks.
- 2003 MegaLink launched Electronic Settlement with Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas and becomes the first non-bank to participate in BSP's PhilPass. MegaLink also established its Disaster Recovery Site.
- 2004 Mobile Banking Service via Smart Communications, MegaLink Internet Payment Service via Union Bank of the Philippines's the PORT as well as Interbank Funds Transfer (IBFT)service were launched.
- 2005 MegaLink is the first to implement full ATM Switch Outsourcing in the country with iBank as its pilot bank. Debit Bills Payment via SMART mobile phones becomes available.
- 2006 ATM Industry Association (ATMIA) signs up MegaLink as founding member in the Philippines counting the Philippines as its 50th member country.
- 2007 MegaLink opens its membership to non-banks and accepts ENCASH Network Services ENS (The Philippines' first independent ATM deployer) and MASS-SPECC Cooperative Development Center (The Philippines' oldest cooperative federation. MegaLink partners with MediLink, the first and only electronic claims network serving the Philippine healthcare industry, to allow MegaLink cardholders to pay for medical services in accredited hospitals and clinics.
- 2008 MegaLink was admitted to the Asian Payment Network (APN), which counts ATM networks in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia as members. This membership paves the way for interconnection of ATM networks between member countries.
- 2009 MegaLink hosted the 5th Asian Payment Network (APN) Forum attended by APN members from Indonesia (ARTAJASA, ALTO, RINTIS), Malaysia (MEPS), Thailand (ITMX) and Singapore (NETS). ATM network form Korea (KFTC) and Philippines (BANCNET and EXPRESSNET, non-members of APN was invited to attended as observers. MegaLink also launched Batch-to-online IBFT service.
Bank Asia trust Bank Banco de Oro (also a member of Expressnet and BancNet) CRBB Development Bank of the Philippines ENCASH G-Xchange GSIS Family Bank LBC Development Bank MASS-SPECC Cooperative Development Center MAXBANK NATCCO One Network Bank Pacific Ace Savings Bank Planters Development Bank Queen City Development Bank Union Bank of the Philippines United Coconut Planters Bank
Almost all of MegaLink's founding members have merged or have been acquired by other banks or moved to other interbank networks namely; Equitable Banking Corporation(Merged with PCIBank, one of the founding members of BancNet; Itself acquired by BDO Unibank), Far East Bank and Trust Company(PCIBank's Sister Bank; Acquired by BPI the Expressnet Operator) and PNB moved to BancNet under Lucio Tan's management.
Philippine interbank networks BancNet | ENS | Expressnet | MegaLink | Nationlink Interbank networks by region Multiregional AfricaCashNet · CMI · Interswitch · SASWITCH Asia Pacific1LINK · ACS · ALTO · atm5 · ATM Bersama · ATM Pool · BancNet · Banknetvn (Vietnam) · BANCS · Bankline · Cashnet · CashTree · Dutch Bangla Bank Nexus · eftpos
ENS · ETC · Expressnet · FISC · JETCO · EPS · Link · MICS · MEPS · MegaLink · MITR · MNET · NFS · Nationlink · Omnibus · Prima · SmartLink (Vietnam) · UnionPay · Vietnam Bank Card (VNBC) · Yucho · RuPay
Caribbean Europe Middle East North AmericaAbby · ACCEL/Exchange · Access 24 · Acculink · Advantage · AFFN · Alaska Option · Alert · Allpoint · Annie · ARN · Award · BankMate · BOH · Cash Station · CashStream · Checkokard · CO-OP · Credit Union 24 · Credomatic · Discover Network · Easy Answer · Express · Express Teller · Fastbank · Gulfnet · HandiBank · Handy 24 · Honor · Instant Cash · Instant Teller · Interlink · Interac · Jeanie · KETS · LYNX · MAC · Magic Line · Member Access Pacific · Minibank · Money Belt · Money Network · MoneyMaker · MoneyPass · Money Station · MOST · MPact · Networks · NYCE · Peak · Presto! · PROSA · Pulse · Quest · RED · Red Total · SC 24 · Service Card System · SHAZAM · STAR · SUM · The Exchange · Transact · Paymenex · Transfund · TX Network · Tyme · Universal Money Center · Via · X-PRESS 24 · Yankee 24 South America
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Megalink — digitale Datenfestnetzleitungen in den USA seit 1985 ( > Lexikon der Text und Datenkommunikation ) … Acronyms
Megalink — digitale Datenfestnetzleitungen in den USA seit 1985 ( > Lexikon der Text und Datenkommunikation ) … Acronyms von A bis Z
MEGAlink (protocol) — MEGAlink is a file transfer protocol developed by Paul Meiners in 1987. His goal was to design and implement a protocol that meets or exceeds the following criteria:# Fast. Efficiency must exceed 95% on average basis. # Reliable. Known defects in … Wikipedia
MLCS — Megalink Channel Service 1.544MBit/s T1 Dienst … Acronyms
MLCS — Megalink Channel Service 1.544MBit/s T1 Dienst … Acronyms von A bis Z
Expressnet — Infobox Interbank Network name = Expressnet area = Philippines foundation = 1986 members = 7 atm = 2,213Expressnet is an interbank network connecting the ATM networks of seven major banks in the Philippines. It is the second largest ATM network… … Wikipedia
Nationlink (interbank network) — For other uses, see Nationlink (disambiguation). Nationlink is an interbank network and EFTPOS network in the Philippines. Unlike the main existing networks, which are BancNet, Expressnet and MegaLink, Nationlink is not expected to compete with… … Wikipedia
Premiere Development Bank — Infobox Company company name = Premiere Development Bank company company type = Private company slogan = Steadfast partner of the Filipino entrepreneur foundation = Pasay City, Philippines (1960) location = Makati City, Philippines key people =… … Wikipedia
Debit card — Personal finance Credit and debt Pawnbroker Student loan Employment contract Salary Wage Empl … Wikipedia
Farmington (town), Maine — Infobox Settlement official name = Farmington, Maine nickname = motto = imagesize = image caption = Bird s eye View of Farmington in 1907 image mapsize = 185px map caption = Location in Franklin County, Maine subdivision type = County subdivision … Wikipedia