- The Overtones
The Overtones Origin London, United Kingdom, Ireland Genres Doo-wop Years active 2010–present Labels Rhino Records Website theovertones.tv Members Lachie Chapman
The Overtones are a five-piece British-Irish doo-wop boy band from London, formed in 2010. They were discovered by a Warner Brothers talent scout while working as decorators in a shop near Oxford Street, singing during their tea break. Their debut album Good Ol' Fashioned Love entered the UK Albums Chart at 16 in November 2010. However, after the re-release of the album in March 2011, it propelled to the high end of the chart at number 4.
With four members originally - Mark, Mike, Darren and Timmy - the band had been performing for several years. The four members all shared an interest in the doo-wop genre of the 1950s mixed with R&B and modern pop music. More recently they met Lachie Chapman, discovered similar tastes in music and reformed themselves as a five-piece band. Darren then had the idea of starting a painting and decorating company so that the five could practise together while working. It was while painting a shop near Oxford Street in London that the band were discovered by a talent scout. They have since signed a multi-album deal with Warner Bros. Records.
The debut album from The Overtones features a number of original tracks written by the band, including their first single "Gambling Man" as well as the title track "Good Ol Fashioned Love" and "Carolyn".
In 2010 they made a number of high profile public appearances, supporting Peter Andre on tour, and performing at Stockport's Christmas lights switch-on and at the Abbey Park fireworks display in Leicester. They have also made a number of television appearances, particularly on This Morning.
On 13 March 2011 they were the house band for week 10 on the ITV show Dancing on Ice.
On 1 June 2011 they were the house band for the third semi-final on the ITV show Britain's Got More Talent
- Timmy Matley, from Cork
- Mark Franks, from Manchester
- Lachie Chapman, from Sydney
- Mike Crawshaw, from Bristol
- Darren Everest, from Essex
Album Title Album details Peak chart positions certifications UK
Good Ol' Fashioned Love
- Released: 1 November 2010
- Label: Rhino Records
- Genre: Doo-wop
Year Single Chart positions Album UK
2010 "Gambling Man" 82 Good Ol' Fashioned Love 2011 "The Longest Time" —
- Cork Opera House, 9 April 2011
- Millennium Forum, Derry, 1 October 2011
- Waterfront Hall, Belfast, 2 October 2011
- National Conncert Hall, Dublin, 4 October 2011
- Warwick Arts Centre, Warwick, 8 October 2011
- Pavillion Theatre, Bornemouth, 10 October 2011
- Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham, 11 October 2011
- Symphony Hall, Birmingham, 13 October 2011
- The York Barbican, York, 15 October 2011
- Colston Hall, Bristol, 16 October 2011
- Lowry Theatre, Salford, 18 October 2011
- Gateshead, (Hall One) Sage, 19 October 2011
- Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow, 20 October 2011
- Guildhall, Preston, 22 October 2011
- Palladium, London, 24 October 2011
- Derngate, Northampton, 26 October 2011
- Regent, Ipswich, 27 October 2011
- ^ a b Morley, Paul (2010-10-29). "Paul Morley's Showing Off... The Overtones". guardian.co.uk (The Guardian). http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/oct/29/paul-morley-nostalgia-the-overtones. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ^ a b c d e f "The Overtones will support Peter Andre on tour". stv.tv (STV Group plc). 2010-11-04. http://entertainment.stv.tv/music/206852-the-overtones-will-support-peter-andre-on-tour/. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ^ Warren, Lydia (2010-11-11). "X Factor's Treyc Cohen is a hit at Stockport Christmas switch-on". menmedia.co.uk (Manchester Evening News). http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1370948_x_factors_treyc_cohen_is_a_hit_at_stockport_christmas_switchon. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ^ "In pictures: Abbey Park Fireworks 2010 in Leicester". bbc.co.uk (BBC Leicester). 2010-11-06. http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/leicester/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9164000/9164093.stm. Retrieved 2010-11-17.
- ^ "The Overtones Official Website". http://www.theovertones.tv/. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- ^ a b "Overtones - United Kingdom Charts". www.chartstats.com/. http://www.chartstats.com/artistinfo.php?id=12763.
- ^ http://irish-charts.com/showinterpret.asp?interpret=The+Overtones
- ^ http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/Search.aspx
- The Overtones Official Website
- The Toners Fan Website
- Tumblr Fan Page
- Gambling Man Live with just Acoustic Guitar
- Interview with the Virgin Red Room
Singles"Gambling Man" · "The Longest Time" · "Second Last Chance" Related articlesRhino Records · Warner Music Group
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Overtones (disambiguation) — Overtones may refer to: Overtone, a frequency higher than the fundamental frequency of a sound Overtones (album), an album by Just Jack The Overtones, a British doo wop band California Golden Overtones, a collegiate a capella group Rustic… … Wikipedia
Overtones (album) — Overtones Studio album by Just Jack Released 29 January 2007 (2007 01 29) … Wikipedia
Overtones — Overtones … Википедия
The Gingerbread Lady — is a 1970 play by Neil Simon, written specifically for actress Maureen Stapleton, who won both the Tony Award and Drama Desk Award for her performance.A major departure from Simon s previous lighthearted romps, The Gingerbread Lady was a dark… … Wikipedia
The Outer Marker — The Outer Marker … Википедия
Overtones — Album par Just Jack Sortie 2007 Enregistrement 2006 Durée 49:22 Genre House, Hip hop Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
The Man Who Would Be King — Author Rudyard Kipling Country United Kingdom, India Language English Genre(s) Adventure … Wikipedia
The Daily Californian — Type Student newspaper Format Tabloid Owner Independent Berkeley Students Publishing Company, Inc. Publisher Michael Wagner Editor in chief Tomer Ovadia Man … Wikipedia
The Oblongs — Title card Format Animation, Black comedy Created by Angus Oblong … Wikipedia
The Apprentice (U.S. season 1) — The Apprentice 1 is the first season of The Apprentice , which aired on NBC in the winter and spring of 2004. It is currently available on DVD. It featured 16 candidates.The first season was a ratings smash, ranking at #7 in the average weekly… … Wikipedia