- Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Format Action/Adventure
Written by Judd Lynn
Directed by Ryuta Tasaki
Starring Michael Chaturantabut
Sean Cw Johnson
Jennifer L. Yen
Voices of Neil Kaplan
Theme music composer Jeremy Sweet Composer(s) Lior Rosner
Country of origin United States Language(s) English No. of episodes 40 (List of episodes) Production Executive producer(s) Haim Saban
Producer(s) Jonathan Tzachor Editor(s) Eric Rainey
Location(s) Los Angeles, California Cinematography Ilan Rosenberg Camera setup Peter Levermann
Running time 30 minutes Production company(s) Saban Entertainment Broadcast Original channel FOX (Fox Kids) Original run February 12, 2000 – December 16, 2000 Chronology Preceded by Power Rangers Lost Galaxy Followed by Power Rangers Time Force
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (often abbreviated as PRLR and often simply called Lightspeed Rescue) is the 2000 incarnation of the Power Rangers TV franchise, based on the Super Sentai series Kyuukyuu Sentai GoGoFive.
It was the first incarnation of Power Rangers to have the Rangers' identities to be known to the public from the outset, as opposed to previous incarnations where a Ranger's identity was to be kept secret, revealed only in extreme circumstances. The series was also the first where the Rangers' powers, Zords, and weapons were manmade and had no mystical or extraterrestrial origin whatsoever.
Lightspeed Rescue also had, for the first time, a Power Ranger with no Super Sentai counterpart in the Titanium Ranger, as there was no regular sixth Ranger in GoGo V. It is the last Saban-produced Power Rangers series to feature the main villain from its Super Sentai counterpart. The next series to feature the main villain from its Super Sentai counterpart would be the Disney-produced Power Rangers Mystic Force, which premiered six years later.
LR takes place in the fictitious city of Mariner Bay, California, which was built on an ancient demon burial ground. When the demons threaten to rise again, a government organization called Lightspeed Rescue, headed by Captain William Mitchell recruits four civilians and his own daughter to defend the city. Each of the four civilians chosen had a special area of expertise: Carter Grayson, the Red Lightspeed Ranger, was a fire fighter in the local fire department; Chad Lee, the Blue Lightspeed Ranger, worked as a lifeguard and marine animal trainer at a local aquarium and a marine amusement park; Joel Rawlings, the Green Lightspeed Ranger, was a stunt pilot; Kelsey Winslow, the Yellow Lightspeed Ranger, was an extreme sports athlete; and Dana Mitchell, the Captain's daughter, who agreed to become the Pink Lightspeed Ranger, was a nurse and practiced medical arts. The five Power Rangers were aided by a team of scientists and engineers led by Miss Angela Fairweather, and operated out of the Lightspeed Aquabase, an underwater military compound that also deters the hydrophobic demons from directly attacking the base.
The five Rangers would be joined by Captain Mitchell's (long thought to be dead) son, Ryan Mitchell, who would become the Titanium Ranger. Together, the six Rangers would prevail against the demon forces time after time, culminating in a final showdown where, in the Power Rangers tradition, much of the weapons and other equipment that was used by the Power Rangers over the series was destroyed.
In addition, Lightspeed Rescue featured a reunion reappearance of characters from Power Rangers Lost Galaxy, when the villainess Trakeena comes to Earth to destroy it and the Lightspeed Rangers team up with the Galaxy Rangers.
The Lightspeed Rangers
- Carter Grayson
- The main character and the leader of the team. He was a firefighter when he was recruited to become the Red Lightspeed Ranger. Grayson is very serious about his work and often does not engage in fun. He holds himself up to high standards. He was portrayed by Sean Cw Johnson.
- Chad Lee
- The aquatic specialist and second-in-command. His main interest is with the sea, and was a dolphin trainer before he was recruited to become the Blue Lightspeed Ranger. His interests includes scuba diving. He was portrayed by Michael Chaturantabut.
- Joel Rawlings
- Known as the "Sky Cowboy" for his acrobatic stunts in the air, he was the most reluctant to join, wanting to leave immediately after he was taken to the Lightspeed Rescue base. However, after seeing people getting hurt, he joined the team, becoming the Green Lightspeed Ranger. He also has a massive crush on Ms. Fairweather, the scientist who developed the Lightspeed weapons. He also provides most of the comic relief during the series. He was portrayed by Keith Robinson.
- Kelsey Winslow
- Known as the adventurous person on the team, her main interest is with the outdoors, especially with roller-blading and rock climbing. She became the Yellow Lightspeed Ranger and was the first muscle-developed girl to join as a Ranger. Portrayed by Sasha Williams.
- Dana Mitchell
- Captain Mitchell's daughter, she was the first person to inform Mitchell that the demons had escaped. She worked as a paramedic in the Lightspeed base before becoming the Pink Lightspeed Ranger. Portrayed by Alison MacInnis.
- Ryan Mitchell
- Captain Mitchell's son. When he and Dana were little, they were in a car accident; Captain Mitchell swerved to avoid a truck and went off a cliff. Ryan held onto Mitchell's shoe, and slipped. Diabolico came and told Captain Mitchell he'd save Ryan, but wouldn't see Ryan until his 20th birthday. At first Captain Mitchell refused, but then agreed and Diabolico saved Ryan and took him away, telling Ryan that his father let him fall. Ryan makes his entrance as the Titanium Ranger, having stolen the test morpher. However, Ryan remembers the past, has a change of heart, and joins the Lightspeed team. Portrayed by Rhett Fisher. The Titanium Ranger is the first Power Ranger to be 100 percent American made and has no Sentai counterpart. The next time for this to be done is the A-Squad in SPD, followed by the Spirit Rangers in Jungle Fury.
- Captain William Mitchell: The commander of Lightspeed (and father to Dana and Ryan). He is the first Power Rangers mentor to be a parent of at least one of the Power Rangers under him. Others are Kanoi Watanabe (father of Cameron Watanabe), Udonna (mother of Nick Russell, whose real name is Bowen) and Andrew Hartford (father of Mack Hartford). He is portrayed by Ron Rogge.
- Angela Fairweather: The weapons designer of Lightspeed. (later marries Joel Rawlings, unknown if she changed her last name) Portrayed by Monica Louwerens.
- Galaxy Power Rangers
- Time Force Power Rangers
- Queen Bansheera: Evil matriarch of the Demons and mother of Impus/Olympius. Gave orders in a spiritual form at the beginning of the series and returned in a mangled bodily form after an attempt by Spellbinder to bring her into human world. Gained a ghastly final form by absorbing Vypra's life energy. Had no regard for her minions (even her own son) and used them for her own gain. Attempted to open gateway to the Shadow World to unleash all of its fallen monsters but ended up becoming a resident herself after Carter kicked her into the gate and fell through because of Diabolico's doing. (voiced by Diane Salinger)
- Prince Olympius: The son of Queen Bansheera. At the beginning of the series, he was an infant called Impus. But he gained Diabolico's star power and used it to mature into his current form. This sparked a rivalry between them after Diabolico returned. Later, in order to escape the Shadow World, was forced to absorb fallen monsters to gain another mutated form. He was reverted back to adult form when defeated by Rangers. He gained a super-powerful draconic final form near the finale and along with Diabolico, was successful in destroying nearly all of Rangers' zords. He was destroyed for good by Lifeforce Megazord. (voiced by Michael Forest)
- Diabolico: Original antagonist of the 1st half of Lightspeed; he is a demon equipped with the Star Power. He first appeared to save Ryan from death and took him into custody. Was destroyed twice in the series, first time was when he fought the Rangers in the Lightspeed Solarzord (in episode 16), and again when facing Olympius. Was revived in advanced form along with Olympius and was destroyed by Lifeforce Megazord. Fiercely loyal, he tries to assist his friends Vypra and Loki and turns on Bansheera when he is forced to destroy Loki against his will. Assists the Rangers in spiritual form in sealing Bansheera up in the Shadow World in the finale. Armed with skull-headed staff in normal form and a sword in super-demon form. (voiced by Neil Kaplan)
- Vypra: Female demon who attacks with her dune buggy vehicle, the Vyprari. Died near the end of the series when she was absorbed by Bansheera for failing her too many times. Later returned to life in Power Rangers Time Force to revive the super demon, Quarganon to fight against both Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force Power Rangers. Was destroyed again along with Quarganon by Wes, Carter, Eric, Chad, and Joel. Armed with a sword. (portrayed by Jennifer L. Yen)
- Loki: Warrior demon who is a friend of Diabolico's. Was forcibly destroyed by Diabolico when Bansheera took control of his body. He was armed with a two-pronged staff. (voiced by David Lodge)
- Jinxer: Monster-maker demon, creates monsters using magical cards and incantations. His fate was unknown as he was last seen piloting the Omega Megazord in placing the six stones for Bansheera's ceremony. The Omega Megazord was destroyed, but it is unknown if Jinxer survived or not. (voiced by Kim Strauss.) In "Olympius Unbound" Jinxer assumes the disguise of hypnotist Mister Mesmer and during a carnival show plants a evil suggestion in Captain Mitchell's subconscious. (Mesmer played by Benton Jennings.)
- Batlings: Putty Patroller like henchmen of Bansheera. They had round black heads with bat wings protruding out of either side. They were also clad in black spandex and had bat wings coming out of their backs. Their weapons were swords.
- Ghouls: henchmen of Triskull and Trakeena, who appeared in the crossover episode Trakeena's Revenge. they were very powerful and loyal to Triskull. Nothing is heard of them after that episode.
- Cyborg Rangers: robotic counterparts to the rangers. They originally fought monsters in place of the rangers, but when a monster they were fighting struck them with lightning, they turned against the rangers and did battle with each of their respective counterparts. Each ranger eventually destroyed their respective cyborg counterpart.
- Rescue Morphers: Developed by the Lightspeed organization and given to five hand-picked individuals who would become the Lightspeed Rangers. After crying out "Lightspeed, Rescue!", the Rangers open their morphers and utilize a four-digit keypad to morph.
- Titanium Morpher: A specially designed morpher brandishing a solar-panel pattern that proved too much for Carter to handle once he tested it. It is currently in the possession of Ryan Mitchell, who initially used his Ranger powers to aid Diabolico before seeing the error of his ways and joining the other Rangers. Ryan calls out "Titanium Power!" and opens the panel on his morpher to morph.
- Battle Booster: These gadgets materialize from the Rescue Morphers and are activated by a numeric keypad which serves to power up weapons and Zords, and summon the Mega Battle Armor.
- Rescue Blaster: Each of these standard Ranger sidearms features a Baton Mode and a Blaster Mode. In addition, the handle can be detached and combined with either a V-Lancer or a Rescuebird component.
- Thermo Blaster: Intense heat blasters color-coded for each Ranger. Their firepower can be boosted once a Battle Booster is attached.
- Rescuebird: This weapon, which can be rebuilt to become the Unilaser, is launched from the Rail Rescue Bay whenever the Rangers call for it. When in Unilaser Mode, it fires the team's combined power at opponents. The Rescuebird can be split into a Drill, a Cutter, a Laser, an Injector and a Claw, each used for either combat or rescue purposes as the situation dictates. When separate, each component must be attached to each of the Rescue Blasters.
- V-Lancer: The V-Lancers are staff-like weapons that materialize from a red V when summoned. Each V-Lancer acts as a blaster in addition to its default spear-like mode, by attaching a Rescue Blaster handle, and can launch the Spectra Blast, a blast which is even stronger than the Unilaser, to destroy enemies.
- Titanium Laser: Titanium Ranger's personal weapon is an interchangeable blaster and battle axe. The battle ax can absorb blasts and launch them back.
- Mega Battle Armor: Designed by Miss Fairweather and her brother Clark, and activated by entering "861" into the Battle Booster, the Mega Battle Armor equips the Green Ranger with a buzzsaw and the Blue Ranger with an ice cannon.
- Rescue Rover: This Humvee serves as standard Ranger transport to carry them to the scene of an emergency.
- Lightspeed Cycles: Motorcycles used for high speed transportation. The Red Lightspeed Cycle has a detachable Rescue Speeder, which can be launched for high powered attacks.
- Trans Armor Cycle: A motorcycle that can transform into Battlizer armor for the Red Ranger.
- Mobile Armor Vehicle: A one-man aircraft controlled by the Red Ranger. On its first day out, the MAV malfunctioned, causing Carter's day to repeat in a time loop. The MAV was ultimately sacrificed to destroy the rogue Omega Megazord.
The first Zords in Lightspeed Rescue were all based on rescue vehicles. The Rail Rescues carried these Zords out of the holding bay, and could also form their own Megazord. The Max Solarzord was a space shuttle-zord that was piloted by the Titanium Ranger. The Omegazords were space vehicles that were also created by Lightspeed Rescue. The Lifeforce Megazord was similar to the Lightspeed Solarzord, but required the energy of the Lightspeed Rangers as power.
A video game based on Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue was also developed. It was available for Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, PlayStation, and PC. The PlayStation and N64 versions were 3D beat-em up games, the Game Boy version was a 2D side-scrolling platformer, and the PC version was actually an activity center.
# Title Original air date 1 "Operation Lightspeed" February 12, 2000 2 "Lightspeed Teamwork" February 19, 2000 3 "Trial By Fire" February 26, 2000 4 "Riding the Edge" March 4, 2000 5 "A Matter of Trust" March 11, 2000 6 "Wheels of Destruction" March 18, 2000 7 "Cyborg Rangers" March 25, 2000 8 "Up to the Challenge" April 1, 2000 9 "Go Volcanic rules" April 8, 2000 10 "Rising from Ashes" April 15, 2000 11 "From Deep in the Shadows" April 22, 2000 12 "Truth Discovered" April 29, 2000 13 "Ryan's Destiny" May 6, 2000 14 "Curse of the Cobra" May 13, 2000 15 "Strength of the Sun" May 20, 2000 16 "The Cobra Strikes" May 27, 2000 17 "Olympius Ascends" August 19, 2000 18 "A Face from the Past" August 26, 2000 19 "The Queen's Return" September 2, 2000 20 "The Omega Project" September 9, 2000 21 "The Fifth Crystal" September 16, 2000 22 "The Chosen Path" September 23, 2000 23 "Yesterday Again" September 30, 2000 24 "As Time Runs Out" October 7, 2000 25 "In the Freeze Zone" October 21, 2000 26 "The Mighty Mega Battles" October 28, 2000 27 "The Great Egg Caper" November 1, 2000 28 "Ocean Blue" November 2, 2000 29 "Trakeena's Revenge, Part I" November 3, 2000 30 "Trakeena's Revenge, Part II" November 5, 2000 31 "The Last Ranger" November 8, 2000 32 "Sorcerer of the Sands" November 9, 2000 33 "Olympius Unbound" November 10, 2000 34 "Neptune's Daughter" November 11, 2000 35 "Web War" November 14, 2000 36 "In the Limelight" November 18, 2000 37 "Wrath of the Queen" November 25, 2000 38 "Rise of the Super Demons" December 2, 2000 39 "The Fate of Lightspeed, Part I" December 9, 2000 40 "The Fate of Lightspeed, Part II" December 16 , 2000 Preceded by
Power Rangers MediaTV seriesFilmsMighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie • Turbo: A Power Rangers MovieVideo games Characters Miscellany Related Saban series See also
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue — Power Rangers : Sauvetage éclair Power Rangers : Sauvetage éclair est l édition 2000 (aux États Unis) de la série télévisée américaine pour enfants Power Rangers qui est une adaptation américaine de sentais japonais. Depuis 2001, la série… … Wikipédia en Français
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue — Power Rangers : Sauvetage éclair Power Rangers : Sauvetage éclair est l édition 2000 (aux États Unis) de la série télévisée américaine pour enfants Power Rangers qui est une adaptation américaine de sentais japonais. Depuis 2001, la série… … Wikipédia en Français
Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue (jeu vidéo) — Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Éditeur THQ Date de sortie 28 septembre 2000 (États Unis) Genre beat them all Mode de jeu Un à deux joueur(s) Plate form … Wikipédia en Français
Power Rangers : Lightspeed Rescue (jeu vidéo) — Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue (jeu vidéo) Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Éditeur THQ Date de sortie 28 septembre 2000 (États Unis) Genre beat them all Mode de jeu Un à deux joueur(s) … Wikipédia en Français
Villains in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue — The fictional villains of the Power Rangers universe that appeared in the television series Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue and opposed the Lightspeed Rescue Rangers were demons who served Queen Bansheera. 5,000 years ago, a faction of evil… … Wikipedia
Power Rangers: A la Velocidad de la Luz — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Título original Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Títulos en otras lenguas Power Rangers a la Velocidad De La Luz (Latinoamérica) Power Rangers Rescate Relámpago (España) … Wikipedia Español
Power Rangers: a la velocidad de la luz — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Título original Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue Títulos en otras lenguas Power Rangers a la Velocidad De La Luz (Latinoamérica) Género … Wikipedia Español
Power Rangers Lost Galaxy — Format Action/Adventure Science fiction Created by Haim Saban … Wikipedia
Power Rangers Time Force — Format Action/Adventure Science fantasy Written by Judd Lynn … Wikipedia
Power Rangers : Sauvetage éclair — Power Rangers: Sauvetage éclaire Titre original Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue Genre Action Aventure sentai Création Haim Saban Toei Company Réalisation Ryuta Tasaki Koichi Sakamoto Isaac Florentine Jonathan Tzachor Mérite Keeter Makoto… … Wikipédia en Français