- Only You Can Love Me This Way
"Only You Can Love Me This Way" Single by Keith Urban from the album Defying Gravity Released 29 June 2009 Format CD single
Genre Country Length 4:07 (album version)
3:39 (single edit)
Label Capitol Nashville Writer(s) Steve McEwan
Producer Dann Huff
Keith Urban singles chronology "Kiss a Girl"
"Only You Can Love Me This Way"
"'Til Summer Comes Around"
"Only You Can Love Me This Way" is the title of a song written by Steve McEwan and John Reid. It was recorded by Australian country music singer Keith Urban on his fifth studio album, 2009's Defying Gravity. The song was released to radio on 29 June 2009, as the third single from that album and the twenty-first solo single of his career. It also became his eleventh #1 single on the Billboard Hot Country Songs charts in October. The song is part of the track listing to Now That's What I Call Music! 32.
"Only You Can Love Me This Way" is a mid-tempo ballad in which the male narrator states that he and his lover were meant for each other.
Writing and inspiration
Steve McEwan and John Reid penned the song together in a studio at a songwriting camp in Nashville where they had just met for the first time. In an interview with HitQuarters McEwan said the demo of the song that was successfully pitched to Urban featured McEwan singing backed by an acoustic guitar and a "tiny drum machine". Reid had originally sung on the demo but it was later felt it would stand a better chance of being accepted by Urban if, rather than Reid's "sweet pop voice", it was sung in McEwan's deeper "more American" vocal.
The song has been met with favorable reviews. Jonathan Keefe, in his review for Slant Magazine, said that the song "recall[s] the drippiness of early-'90s Richard Marx and Bryan Adams". Tara Seetharam of Country Universe gave a B+ rating. Her review makes note of the "stripped-down" production and adds, "It’s a testament to Urban’s artistry that he’s able to breathe life and passion into such nondescript lyrics, turning them into what feels like a tailor-made ode to his wife". Michael Menachem gave a favorable review in Billboard, calling it "an affectionate ballad that could easily be a wedding song[…]Urban's genteel inflections are enhanced by light production and soft guitar strums." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock, despite saying that it was "below the standards" of other ballads in Urban's career, called it a "welcome change" after the up-tempos "Sweet Thing" and "Kiss a Girl." This review also made note of Urban's "warm, passionate tone" and the "stripped-down" production.
Directed by Chris Hicky, the video was shot at the Wells Fargo Arena, in Des Moines, Iowa, in late June 2009. It premeired in early August of that year. It starts with the sound of an audience cheering, while Keith walks on stage. He then performs to an empty theater with an acoustic guitar. Later, he performs to various fans. The video ends with the sound and visual of him being applauded, and walking away.
"Only You Can Love Me This Way" charted on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and Canadian Hot 100 on the chart week of 11 April 2009, debuting at #84 and #72 respectively. Upon its release to country radio in June, the song debuted at #52 on Hot Country Songs, before climbing to #30 a week later, and re-entered both the U.S. and Canadian Hot 100 soon afterward.
Chart (2009) Peak
Canada (Canadian Hot 100) 49 US Billboard Hot 100 34 US Country Songs (Billboard) 1
United States  Gold Preceded by
"Gettin' You Home (The Black Dress Song)"
by Chris Young
Billboard Hot Country Songs
31 October 2009
by Zac Brown Band
- ^ "Search results for "Only You Can Love Me This Way"". BMI. http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=9016600&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- ^ a b c "Interview With Steve McEwan", HitQuarters, 18 January 2010.
- ^ Keefe, Jonathan (30 March 2009). "Defying Gravity review". Slant. http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/music_review.asp?ID=1695. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Seetharam, Tara (9 July 2009). "Defying Gravity review". Country Universe. http://www.countryuniverse.net/2009/07/09/keith-urban-only-you-can-love-me-this-way/. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/song/keith-urban/only-you-can-love-me-this-way/12948930
- ^ Bobby Peacock (23 July 2009). "Keith Urban — "Only You Can Love Me This Way"". Roughstock. http://www.roughstock.com/blog/keith-urban-only-you-can-love-me-this-way-. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- ^ "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Keith Urban. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ "Keith Urban Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Songs for Keith Urban. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 10 April 2011.
- ^ http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=9&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=&artist=&format=&debutLP=&category=&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&type=&level=&label=&company=&certificationDate=&awardDescription=&catalogNo=&aSex=&rec_id=&charField=&gold=&platinum=&multiPlat=&level2=&certDate=&album=&id=&after=on&before=on&startMonth=1&endMonth=11&startYear=2010&endYear=2010&sort=CertificationDate&perPage=50
Keith Urban Golden Road Be Here Love, Pain & the Whole Crazy Thing Greatest Hits: 18 Kids Defying Gravity"Sweet Thing" · "Kiss a Girl" · "Only You Can Love Me This Way" · "'Til Summer Comes Around" · "I'm In" Get Closer"Put You in a Song" · "Without You" · "Long Hot Summer" · "You Gonna Fly" Guest singles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Only You (Pearl and Rusty) — Only You is the love duet from Andrew Lloyd Webber s Starlight Express. It is performed by the protagonist, Rusty, a young steam locomotive and his true love, the observation car, Pearl. Contents 1 Overview 1.1 Context 2 Music 3 … Wikipedia
Only You (And You Alone) — 1955 Re recording Single by The Platters from the album The Platters (Original recording) & … Wikipedia
You Can't Take It with You — This article is about the play. For the film, see You Can t Take It With You (film). For the album by As Tall As Lions, see You Can t Take It with You (album). You Can t Take It With You Written by George S. Kaufman Moss Hart Characters Alice… … Wikipedia
Only You (David Choi album) — Only You New cover (since 2010 remake) Studio album by David Choi … Wikipedia
Only You (1994 film) — Only You Theatrical release poster Directed by Norman Jewison Produced by Robert … Wikipedia
You Can't Take It With You (album) — Infobox Album Name = You Can t Take It With You Type = Studio Artist = As Tall As Lions Released = 2009 Recorded = 2008 Genre = Indie Length = Label = Producer = Reviews = Last album = Into the Flood (2007) This album = You Can t Take It With You … Wikipedia
You Can Go Home Again — Infobox Television episode | Title = You Can Go Home Again Series = Frasier Season = 3 Episode = 24 Caption = Frasier trying to strike up a conversation with Martin Airdate = 4 May 1996 Production = 40571 071 Writer = Linda Morris Vic Rauseo… … Wikipedia
You Can't Take It With You (film) — Infobox Film name = You Can t Take It With You image size = 215px caption = original movie poster producer = Frank Capra director = Frank Capra writer = Play: George Kaufman Moss Hart Screenplay: Robert Riskin starring = Jean Arthur Lionel… … Wikipedia
Any Which Way You Can — Infobox film name = Any Which Way You Can caption = Any Which Way You Can movie poster Bob Peak director = Buddy Van Horn writer = Stanford Sherman producer = Fritz Manes starring = Clint Eastwood Sondra Locke Geoffrey Lewis Ruth Gordon William… … Wikipedia
So You Think You Can Dance (season 4) finalists — This is a list of finalists for season four of the United States version of So You Think You Can Dance. Contents 1 Joshua Allen 2 Rayven Armijo 3 Jamie Bayard 4 … Wikipedia