- Biga Oneun Naren
"Biga Oneun Naren" Single by Beast from the album Fiction and Fact Released May 12, 2011Korea)( Format Digital Download Recorded 2011 Genre K-pop Length 03:46 Label Cube Entertainment Beast Korean singles chronology "Beautiful"
"Biga Oneun Naren (On Rainy Days)"
“Biga Oneun Naren" (비가 오는 날엔, lit. On Rainy Days) is a song by South Korean boy band Beast, which is written and composed by Choi Gyu Seong. It's the first single out from their first Korean studio album, Fiction and Fact. It was released digitally on different online music sites on May 12, 2011.
Background and composition
On May 9, 2011, Cube Entertainment announced on their official website that Beast is going to release their first official studio album on May 17, 2011. On May 11, 2011, Cube Entertainment announced that they will be releasing “Biga Oneun Naren" as a digital single to various online music sites on May 12, 2011. The songs is a sweet ballad written and composed by Choi Gyu Seong with the rap portion written by Beast member, Yong Jun Hyung. The single was actually recorded on an actual rainy day in order to further accentuate the feeling of sorrow emphasized in the song. While recording, a company representative stated that “the members of BEAST where drunk with emotions and all shed tears” and “the recording had to be stopped multiple times because they couldn’t hold back their tears.”
Being just a special single for their upcoming album, "Biga Oneun Naren" wasn't really promoted and performed as often on live music programs. Beast only performed the song during the first week of their comeback in the music industry. They first performed the song on May 19, 2011 on M.net's M! Countdown with a background prepared by the staff to look as if it seems to be really raining. The second time "Biga Oneun Naren" was performed, it was already up for number 1 on KBS Music Bank's May 27, 2011 episode which surprisingly won first place instead of their heavily promoted lead single "Fiction".
The moment "Biga Oneun Naren" was released in various online music sites, it instantly rose on the top of the music charts, receiving a very good response. It debuted at eighth place on Gaon Charts weekly ranking and peaked at number three on the following weeks. Following this success, Cube Entertainment stated that they were surprised that the response for the pre-released song is pretty good.
Chart Chart Peak Position Gaon Chart 3
Despite its massive popularity, on July 14th 2011, The Ministry of Gender Equality and Family banned the song for the lyrics "I think I'm drunk, I should stop drinking" citing that these lyrics would encourage young listeners to drink. The song was no longer be available for sale to people under the age of 19 and was not to be played before 10pm KST on the radio or television. In response to the ban, member Yang Yoseob posted on his Twitter, “I think I’m going to start singing children songs. I need Tylenol” then added, “This is just too much. Sigh… we can’t perform with this song, agh” grieving over this fact. But Cube Entertainment (Beast's affiliated agency) sued the The Ministry of Gender Equality and Family on August 29, 2011 and on the following month of September 8, the Seoul Administrative Court ruled that there is no need for such a ban. Now, the song is back to being available to listeners of all ages.
Country Date Format Label South Korea May 12, 2011 Digital download Cube Entertainment May 17, 2011 CD Cube Entertainment
- ^ a b c d (Korean)"BEAST while recording for "On a Rainy Day" shed a sea of tears". Newsen. 2011-05-12. http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201105121203321002. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ (Korean)"BEAST's comeback, about the release of new album". Cube Entertainment. 2011-05-09. http://www.cubeent.co.kr/notice/201473. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ (Korean)"BEAST - 1st Album Fiction and Fact". Lee's Music. 2011-05-11. http://www.leesmusic.co.kr/lees/mall.php?cat=002001002&query=view&no=41892. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- ^ (Korean)"BEAST, ‘Fiction’ striking emphasis ‘unusual movement’ receiving attention". Newsen. 2011-05-18. http://tvdaily.mk.co.kr/read.php3?aid=1305718894160579003. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ (Korean)"Music Bank KChart". KBS. 2011-05-27. http://www.kbs.co.kr/2tv/enter/musicbank/chart/index.html. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
- ^ (Korean)"On Rainy Days on Gaon Chart". Gaon Chart. Korea Music Content Industry Association. 2011-05-27. http://www.gaonchart.co.kr/main/section/search/chart_list.gaon?Search_str=%EB%B9%84%EA%B0%80+%EC%98%A4%EB%8A%94+%EB%82%A0%EC%97%94#. Retrieved 2011-06-02.
Studio albumsKoreanFiction and FactJapaneseSo Beast EPs Official SinglesKorean"Bad Girl" · "Mystery" · "Shock" · "Special" · "Soom" · "Beautiful" · "When The Door Closes" · " Thanks To" · "Let it Snow" · "Fiction"Japanese"Shock" · "Bad Girl" Special Singles"Crazy" · "Ready Go" · "Easy (Sincere Version)" · "Clenching My Tight Fist" · "On Rainy Days" TV showsMTV B2ST · MTV Beast Almighty · Beast Idol Maid"" Related topics4minute · G.NA · Cube Entertainment
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.