- Olenka and the Autumn Lovers
Olenka and the Autumn Lovers Origin London, Ontario, Canada Genres indie rock Labels [none; distribution through Sonic Unyon] Associated acts The Whipping Wind Website  Members Olenka Krakus, Sara Froese, Simon Larochette, Kelly Wallraff, Evan Brodie, Jeff Moon
Style and history
Fronted by Polish actress Olenka Krakus, the band's sound is mix of orchestral folk pop with elements reminiscent of classic country and folk music, and Eastern European folk. Named after Krakus' favourite season, the Autumn Lovers have included a long list of musicians based in the London scene. The band's use of diverse instruments (including cello, violin, accordion, trumpet, saxophone, cricket bat, lap steel, mandolin, and glockenspiel) provide a unique musical backdrop to Krakus' songwriting.
O&AL was formed in early 2008. To date, Olenka and the Autumn Lovers have released two full-length albums (And Now We Sing in 2010 and a self-titled album in 2008), as well as two sixty-song EPs: the dark Warsaw Girl and the country-influenced Papillonette. The band's 2008 full-length album was awarded Local Album of the Year by the University of Western Ontario's campus radio station CHRW-FM. The band has received extensive college radio play across Ontario, and were featured nationwide on CBC Radio programs Radio 2 Drive, Q (including a live, in-studio performance), and numerous provincial programs. Olenka has also appeared on CBC's Ontario Morning program, discussing both her music, her athletic aspirations, and her work with the Open House Arts Collective.
Olenka and the Autumn Lovers have toured both East and West in Canada as a full band or string trio, while Krakus has performed extensively as the Canadian west coast. In addition to performing, the band was also featured in numerous festivals including NXNE, Pop Montreal, Halifax Pop Explosion, CMW, Stereophonic, In The Dead Of Winter, In The Land Of The Dead, Home County, and London Ontario Live Arts Festival (LOLA), a three day, outdoor indie music festival in the heart of London, Ontario.
In the summer 2010 the Autumn Lovers were busy. Their second album, And Now We Sting, which was released in October 2010. The album was recorded by Andy Magoffin at The House of Miracles, with additional recordings by Simon Larochette at the London Music Club. It was mixed by Andy Magoffin and Simon Larochette, and mastered by Joao Carvalho at JCM.
- Olenka Krakus - Lead vocal, classical guitar
- Sara Froese - Violin, backing vocals
- Simon Larochette - Electric guitar, bass, lap steel, mandolin, trumpet
- Kelly Wallraff - Cello, backing vocals
- Evan Brodie - Bass, electric guitar
- Jeff Moon - Drums
- May 2008: Warsaw Girl EP (independent)
- November 2008: Olenka and the Autumn Lovers LP (self-titled, independent)
- November 2008: Papillonette EP (independent)
- April 2009: Papillonette EP: reissue (independent w/ the help of the Open House Arts Collective)
- May 2010: Olenka and the Autumn Lovers LP: reissue (independent w/ the help of the Open House Arts Collective)
- October 2010: And Now We Sing (independent w/ the help of the Open House Arts Collective)
- March 2009: OH! Compilation One (Open House Arts Collective, compilation) song -"The Decline"
- November 2010: OH! Compilation Two (Open House Arts Collective, compilation) song -"Sparrow"
Solo (Olenka Krakus)
- 2006: Songs for Lovers EP
- 2007: New York EP
- ^ http://www.olenkalovers.com/
- ^ http://www.twowaymonologues.com/interviews/10-questions-with-ola-from-olenka-and-the-autumn-lovers/rss/
- ^ http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=108205
- ^ http://www.myspace.com/olenkalovers
- ^ http://chrwradio.com/top10shortlist2008.html
- ^ http://www.earshot-online.com/charts/chrw.cfm
- ^ http://www.openhouseartscollective.com/home
- ^ http://www.lolafest.com/music.html
- ^ http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=168856
- ^ http://olenkalovers.com/home.html
- ^ http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid2=844&fid1=50198&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NewsExclaimca+%28!+Exclaim.ca+-+News%29
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Open House Arts Collective — Founded 2008 Location London, Ontario Focus A … Wikipedia