- Ogun River
Ogun River Mouth Lagos Basin countries Nigeria Mouth elevation 0
Course and usage
The river rises in Oyo State near Shaki at coordinates and flow through Ogun State into Lagos State. The river is crossed by the Ikere Gorge Dam in the Iseyin local government area of Oyo State. The reservoir capacity is 690 million m3. The reservoir abuts the Old Oyo National Park, providing recreational facilities for tourists, and the river flows through the park. The Ofiki River, which also rises near Shaki, is the Ogun River's chief tributary. The Oyan River, another tributary, is crossed by the Oyan River Dam which supplies water to Abeokuta and Lagos. In densely populated areas the river is used for bathing, washing and drinking. It also serves as a drain for mostly organic wastes from abattoirs located along the river's course.
In the Yoruba religion, Yemoja is the divinity of the Ogun River. The catechist Charles Phillips, father of the Charles Phillips who later became Bishop of Ondo, wrote in 1857 that the Ogun River was generally worshipped by the people who live along its banks from its rise until where it empties into the lagoon. The river ran through the heart of the old Oyo Empire. Metropolitan Oyo was divided into six provinces with three on the west side of the Ogun River and three to the river's east. At one time, the river formed an important route for traders carrying goods by canoe between Abeokuta and the Lagos Colony.
- ^ a b A.A. Ayoade, A.A. Sowunmi & H.I. Nwachukwu (2004). "Gill asymmetry in Labeo ogunensis from Ogun river, Southwest Nigeria". Rev. Biol. Trop. 52 (1): 171–175. http://www.ots.ac.cr/tropiweb/attachments/volumes/vol52-1/21-AYOADE-171-176.pdf.
- ^ L. Berga, ed (2006). Dams and Reservoirs, Societies and Environment in the 21st Century: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Dams in the Societies of the 21st Century, 22nd International Congress on Large Dams (ICOLD), Barcelona, Spain, 18 June 2006. Taylor & Francis. p. 314. ISBN 0415404231.
- ^ "Old Oyo National Park". Nigeria National Park Service. http://nigeriaparkservice.org/oyo/Default.aspx. Retrieved 2010-11-05.
- ^ Ikenweirwe, N.b., Otubusin, S.O. and Oyatogun, M.O.O. (March 2007). "Fisheries of Oyan Lake, South West Nigeria and Potential for Ecotourism Development". European Journal of Scientific Research Vol 16 No 3. http://www.eurojournals.com/ejsr%2016%203.pdf. Retrieved 2010-05-22.
- ^ McKenzie, Peter Rutherford (1997). Hail Orisha!: a phenomenology of a West African religion in the mid-nineteenth century. BRILL. p. 30. ISBN 9004109420. http://books.google.ca/books?id=BIdITHIAEs0C&pg=PA201.
- ^ Stride, G.T. & C. Ifeka (1971). Peoples and Empires of West Africa: West Africa in History 1000-1800. Edinburgh: Nelson. p. 296. ISBN 0-17511-448-X.
- ^ Foreign and Commonwealth Office (1859). British and foreign state papers, Volume 54. H.M.S.O.. http://books.google.ca/books?id=q5kAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA381.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ogun — can refer to: Ogoun (also referred to as Ogún, Ogum, or Ogou), a divinity in Yoruba and Haitian mythology Ogun River, a river in southwestern Nigeria Ogun State, a state in southwestern Nigeria Ogun Records, a record label Ogun (Marvel Comics), a … Wikipedia
Ogun State — State Nickname(s): Gateway State … Wikipedia
Ogun (Bundesstaat) — Ogun Basisdaten Hauptstadt: Abeokuta gegründet: 3. Februar 1976 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oyan River Dam — Location Ogun State, Nigeria Coordinates 7°15′30″N … Wikipedia
Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Ogun — The Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Ogun comprises three Senators, representing Ogun East, Ogun Central, and Ogun West, and nine Representatives, representing Ijebu Ode/Odogbolu/Ijebu North East, Remo, Abeokuta South, Abeokuta North,… … Wikipedia
Cross River State — State Kwa Falls, a waterfall along the Kwa River Nickname(s) … Wikipedia
Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Cross River — The Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Cross River comprises three Senators representing Cross River North, Cross River South, and Cross River Central, and eight Representatives representing Calabar Munincipal/Odukpani, Ogoja/Iyala,… … Wikipedia
Cross River (Bundesstaat) — Cross River Basisdaten Hauptstadt: Calabar gegründet … Deutsch Wikipedia
Etat de Cross River — État de Cross River Cross River Informations Pays Nigeria … Wikipédia en Français
État de cross river — Cross River Informations Pays Nigeria … Wikipédia en Français