- Out of the Ordinary Festival
Out of the Ordinary Festival Location(s) Knockhatch Park, Hailsham, Sussex, England Years active 2007 - present Date(s) 23rd - 25th September 2011 Genre Folk music, Electronic music, Ambient music, Techno, House, Pop Music, Dubstep, World Music. Website outoftheordinaryfestival.com
Out of the Ordinary Festival is a family and eco friendly festival near Hailsham- Grid reference TQ 569 088)  in the Sussex countryside. The festival celebrates the Autumn Equinox in England. It features a variety of live music, talks and workshops, performances, activities for children with green and ethical businesses, many powered by solar panels and wind generators. It originally started out as a development of The Antiquarian Society in Brighton. The annual festival takes place in England for three days in the Autumn and now has a capacity of 5,000 people. The festival's home for the last four years has been Knockhatch Park, a setting which comprises an ex-landfill site (Arlington Landfill Site, near Hailsham- Grid reference TQ 569 088)  in Hailsham, Sussex.
The Out of the Ordinary Festival was started by Stuart Mason and his partner Emily in 2007 on the Sussex Downs near the vale of the Long Man of Wilmington. The festival is now run by director Jim Mitchell and many other dedicated OOTOpians. The Festival has recently (Sept 2011) relocated to a new field, a beautiful tree lined organic pasture backing on to ancient woodland. Filling at the adjacent farm site at Knockhatch ceased in 1974, but to date East Sussex County Council continue to monitor the site for landfill gas and remove leachate to waste water treatment works. The current annual volume of leachate is approximately 200,000 gallons. Festival workshops and talks include such topics as prehistoric culture, ancient knowledge and earth mysteries. This has included yoga, meditation, alternative healing and the chance to use a variety of telescopes, a planetarium and laser guided tours of the constellations. Notable speakers include Professor Gordon Hillman, Jonathan Cainer, Andy Thomas, Edmund Marriage, Leo Rutherford and Robert Bauval.
The festival was divided into seven areas named after each of the seven chakras. The music area was appropriately named the throat chakra with two stages; the Ootopia and Peace Stage, as well as an indoor bar and the Conscious Cabaret. In 2011 the site will feature a new, simplified layout comprising the four elements, though still paying tribute to the seven chakras that define its inner workings. The festival features an eclectic mix of music ranging from Folk to Reggae and Electronic and DJs. Sussex Downs College co-sponsored a solar-powered music stage at the festival in 2010.
Out of the Ordinary Festival has featured many acts that are well known in the alternative scene. Some notable performers include:
- 2007 (21-23 September): Small White Light, Maya, The Drookit Dogs.
- 2008 (12-14 September): Banco de Gaia, Katharine Blake, The Burlettes
- 2009 (18-20 September): Zub Zub formerly (The Ozric Tentacles), Eat Static, Celt Islam, The Dolmen, Banco de Gaia, DJ Paygan, Turiya. 
- 2010 (17-19 September): Dr. Alex Patterson from The Orb, Andy Barlow from Lamb, Seize The Day, Nucleus Roots, King Porta Stomp.
- 2011 (23-25 September): System 7, Fujiya & Miyagi, Zub Zub formerly (The Ozric Tentacles), Orchid Star.
- ^ www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/53D65748-D86E.../Arlington.pdf
- ^ a b Cobley, Mike (15 September 2009). "Out of the Ordinary: Autumn Equinox Festival Announce Music Line-Up". Brighton Magazine. http://magazine.brighton.co.uk/Home/Editorial/Out%20Of%20The%20Ordinary:%20Autumn%20Equinox%20Festival%20Announce%20Music%20Line-Up/21_45_2988. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival". Brighton & Hove Council. 2008. http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=b1000327&event_id=B114CB610EFB35CB802574C0003458EE&cDate=14-Sep-08&caller=showWeek&action=showEvent. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ www.eastsussex.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/53D65748-D86E.../Arlington.pdf
- ^ efestivals "Out of the Ordinary Festival". efestivals.co.uk. 2 September 2009. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/ efestivals. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ a b "Sussex Downs College co-sponsors music stage at the OOTO festival". Well Being Magazine. 2010. http://wellbeingmagazine.co.uk/article/out-ordinary-festival. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival '07". efestivals.co.uk. 28 August 2007. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/2007/. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival '08". efestivals.co.uk. 1 September 2008. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/2008/. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival '09". efestivals.co.uk. 2 September 2009. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/2009/. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ Michaels, Sean (19 August 2010). "New Orb album to feature Pink Floyd's David Gilmour". The Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/aug/19/orb-pink-floyd-david-gilmour. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival '10". efestivals.co.uk. 8 September 2010. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/2010/. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- ^ "Out of the Ordinary Festival '11". efestivals.co.uk. 11 February 2011. http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/outordinary/2011/. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Out of the Blue (2006 film) — Out of the Blue Directed by Robert Sarkies Produced by Steven O Meagher Tim White … Wikipedia
The Turn of the Screw (opera) — The Turn of the Screw is a 20th century English chamber opera composed by Benjamin Britten with a libretto by Myfanwy Piper, based on the novella The Turn of the Screw by Henry James.At the time of the première, the opera was claimed to be one of … Wikipedia
The Secret Policeman's Balls — This article is about the entire series of Secret Policeman s Ball benefit shows for Amnesty International (1976 2008) : For the original 1979 show that gave the series its name see: The Secret Policeman s Ball : For the 2006 benefit show see:… … Wikipedia
The Secret of Moonacre — Infobox Film name = The Secret of Moonacre director = Gabor Csupo producer = David Brown Michael Cowan Brian Donovan Meredith Garlick Monica Penders Jason Piette writer = Original novel: Elizabeth Goudge Screenplay: Graham Alborough Lucy… … Wikipedia
The Sound of Music (film) — The Sound of Music Original poster by Howard Terpning Directed by Robert Wise Produced b … Wikipedia
The Cross and Crucifix in Liturgy — The Cross and Crucifix in Liturgy † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Cross and Crucifix in Liturgy (1) Material Objects in Liturgical Use; (2) Liturgical Forms connected with Them; (3) Festivals Commemorative of the Holy Cross;… … Catholic encyclopedia
The Pope — The Pope † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Pope (Ecclesiastical Latin papa from Greek papas, a variant of pappas father, in classical Latin pappas Juvenal, Satires 6:633). The title pope, once used with far greater latitude (see below … Catholic encyclopedia
The Gallican Rite — The Gallican Rite † Catholic Encyclopedia ► The Gallican Rite This subject will be treated under the following six heads: I. History and Origin; II. MSS. and Other Sources; III. The Liturgical Year; IV. The Divine Office; V. The… … Catholic encyclopedia
The Acharnians — The tipsy god: sculpture by Michelangelo. The Dramatis Personae in ancient comedy depends on interpretation of textual evidence. This list is based on Alan Sommerstein s translation. … Wikipedia
The Man of the Year (2003 film) — The Man of the Year Directed by Jose Henrique Fonseca Produced by Jose Henrique Fonseca Story by Patrícia Melo Starring Murilo Benicio … Wikipedia