- One Moment in Time (comics)
"One Moment in Time"
Cover to The Amazing Spider-Man #638. Art by Paolo Rivera.
Publisher Marvel Comics Publication date September – October 2010 Genre Superhero Title(s) The Amazing Spider-Man #638-641 Main character(s) Spider-Man
Mary Jane Watson
Creative team Writer(s) Joe Quesada Artist(s) Paolo Rivera
"One Moment in Time" is a 2010 Spider-Man storyline that takes place in The Amazing Spider-Man #638-641, and follows the The Gauntlet and Grim Hunt storylines. Joe Quesada has said that the acronym of O.M.I.T. was intentional and will have an impact on the story. It is notable for revealing what changes Mephisto made to dissolve the wedding of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson, and to save Aunt May's life between the end of the controversial One More Day and the beginning of Brand New Day. However at the end of the storyline, it is still unknown if Mary Jane remembers her marriage and the deal with Mephisto and it remains to see how Spider-Man lost his totemic powers.
In The Amazing Spider-Man #638, the story is told as a mixture of flashbacks and current events. The flashbacks are from the end of "One More Day" or Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21. The flashbacks use actual pages from the original comics, and are mixed in with new pages that illustrate how events were changed by Mephisto.
In Amazing Spider-Man #639, the story is told as a mixture of flashbacks and current events. The flashbacks are from "Civil War" and Amazing Spider-Man #539-543. These flashbacks are only panels from the original comics and not full pages.
In Amazing Spider-Man #640, the story is told as the altered events of "Back in Black" and "One More Day", as well as other events contemporaneous with those storylines.
Mary Jane Watson whispers to Mephisto that Peter will not trade his marriage for Aunt May's life unless Mary Jane tells him to accept the agreement, and that Mephisto will leave Peter alone forever once the deal is done. Mephisto agrees to these terms. In present time MJ shows up at Peter's door. They talk about how they have been acting towards each other lately and both agree they want to be friends with each other. Then they reminisce about what happened on what was supposed to be their wedding day. Spider-Man stops Electro and his gang. One of the gang members, Eddie, makes note of the arresting officer's name. Then Mephisto, as a red pigeon, swoops down and unlocks the door of the police car Eddie is in, allowing him to escape while the officers are occupied with cuffing Electro. Spider-Man is out patrolling that night and hears the gunshots of Eddie shooting at the arresting officer and his wife. While saving the policeman and his wife, Spider-Man gets hit in the head with a cinder block. He chases after Eddie and tackles him off the side of a building. Though Spider-Man foils the murder, during his struggle, he and Eddie fall from a building to the ground, with Spider-Man absorbing most of the impact. Eddie escapes, declining to kill Spider-Man because he saved Eddie's life. On the wedding morning, Mary Jane shows up but Peter does not as he is lying unconscious in an alleyway.
After Peter misses his wedding he tries to explain what happened to Mary Jane, but she knows that it is because of his crimefighting, and says she will only marry him if he gives up being Spider-Man. Peter declines, and Mary Jane leaves him. After Mary Jane's Aunt Anna urges her to reconsider, Mary Jane goes to Peter, and tells him that she always imagined having a daughter with him that took after both of them. She adds that she can’t have children with him because his life as a superhero would not be fair to them. They are still together when Aunt May gets shot during the events related to Civil War. Refusing to accept her death, Peter performs CPR, miraculously bringing her back to life.
Wilson Fisk, informed of May's survival by a disguised Mephisto, decides to send a masked hitman after Anna Watson. The assassin is interrupted by Mary Jane, who then becomes his target, and then by Spider-Man, who dispatches and unmasks him, revealing him to be Eddie. Spider-Man brings the wounded Mary Jane to Doctor Strange, who performs a healing spell on her. Peter insists that Doctor Strange should make people forget he is Spider-Man. Doctor Strange contacts Tony Stark and Reed Richards for advice on the matter, because they are partially responsible for Peter's identity becoming public.
Both Richards and Stark agree with Strange, but it takes some convincing. They decide that nobody, including themselves and Mary Jane, will remember anything. Peter enters a protective shell to shield himself from the changes. At the last moment, he leaps out of the shield and pulls Mary Jane in with him so she won't forget either. They wake up in the motel and Peter explains what has happened. Mary Jane asks why he couldn't just let her forget. She explains that she can't be with him because it's only a matter of time before somebody rips off his mask and they go after her family, a danger she cannot allow. Back in the present, Mary Jane explains that he has to move on and find somebody who can be with him. Spider-Man, standing on a rooftop, says that the best person he has ever known has set him free, that he can face anything in life and that today feels like a brand new day.
- The first issue received a rating of 5.5 out of 10 from IGN, and a 3.5 out of 5 from Comic Book Resources.
- The second issue received a 6.0 out of 10 from IGN, and a 3.5 out of 5 from Comic Book Resources.
- The third issue received a 6.5 rating out of 10 from IGN, and a 3 out of 5 from Comic Book Resources.
- The fourth issue received a 6.5 rating out of 10 from IGN, and a 2.5 out of 5 from Comic Book Resources.
- ^ "C2E2 Exclusive: Quesada Explains "O.M.I.T."". http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25807. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- ^ "One Moment in Time: Is Spider-Man & MJ’s Marriage Erased Forever?". http://www.tfaw.com/blog/2010/05/17/one-moment-in-time-is-spider-man-mjs-marriage-erased-forever/. Retrieved 2010-10-19.
- ^ Amazing Spider-Man #638
- ^ Amazing Spider-Man #639
- ^ Amazing Spider-Man #640
- ^ Amazing Spider-Man #641
- ^ "IGN: Amazing Spider-Man #638 Review". http://comics.ign.com/articles/110/1107727p1.html. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ "Comic Book Resources: Amazing Spider-Man #638 Review". http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=2475. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- ^ "IGN: Amazing Spider-Man #639 Review". http://comics.ign.com/articles/111/1110502p1.html. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ "Comic Book Resources: Amazing Spider-Man #639 Review". http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=2523. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- ^ "IGN: Amazing Spider-Man #640 Review". http://comics.ign.com/articles/111/1114319p1.html. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- ^ "Comic Book Resources: Amazing Spider-Man #640 Review". http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=2567. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- ^ "IGN: Amazing Spider-Man #641 Review". http://comics.ign.com/articles/111/1119510p1.html. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- ^ "Comic Book Resources: Amazing Spider-Man #641 Review". http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=2637. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
One Moment in Time — For the Spider Man storyline, see One Moment in Time (comics). One Moment in Time Single by Whitney Houston … Wikipedia
One Moment in Time — Единственный момент времени One Moment in Time Обложка The Amazing Spider Man #638, художник Паоло Ривера. История … Википедия
Time Variance Authority — Infobox comics organization imagesize= caption= publisher=Marvel Comics debut= Thor vol. 1 #372 (October 1986) creators=Walt Simonson Sal Buscema type=Bureaucracy business= organisation= organization=y base= owners=Mobius M. Mobius employees=Mr.… … Wikipedia
One Piece — ワンピース (Wanpīsu) Type Shōnen Genre Nekketsu Thèmes … Wikipédia en Français
One Piece — redirects here. For the clothing, see One piece swimsuit. One Piece First volume of One Piece, released in Japan by Shueisha on December 24, 1997 ONE PIEC … Wikipedia
One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e — original visual novel cover. One ～輝く季節へ～ Genre … Wikipedia
Time Crash — Infobox Doctor Who episode serial name = Time Crash show = DW caption = The Tenth Doctor compares his attire to his favourite incarnation s clothing, in a scene that was influenced by David Tennant and Steven Moffat s love of the Fifth Doctor and … Wikipedia
Spider-Man: One More Day — One More Day Cover for The Amazing Spider Man #545, the final chapter of the story arc. Art by Joe Quesada. Publisher Marvel Comics … Wikipedia
Spider-Man: One More Day — Ещё один день One More Day Коллекционное издание Spide … Википедия
Spider-Man: Big Time — Big Time Cover to The Amazing Spider Man #648. Art by Humberto Ramos. Publisher Marvel Comics Publ … Wikipedia