- Nothing Personal (album)
Nothing Personal Studio album by All Time Low Released July 7, 2009 Recorded January - February 2009 Genre Pop punk Length 41:00
58:43 (Bonus Tracks)
Label Hopeless Producer Matt Squire
S*A*M & Sluggo
All Time Low chronology So Wrong, It's Right
Straight to DVD
Singles from Nothing Personal
Released: March 24, 2009
- "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)"
Released: June 16, 2009
- "Lost in Stereo"
Released: April 4, 2010
Nothing Personal is the third full-length studio album by American pop punk band All Time Low, released through Hopeless Records on July 7, 2009. The album was recorded with producers Matt Squire, Butch Walker, David Bendeth and the team of S*A*M & Sluggo. The title for Nothing Personal comes from a lyric in the second song on the album "Break Your Little Heart".
Prior to the album's release, Billboard magazine predicted that Nothing Personal looked "like it could" enter the top ten of the Billboard 200 in its debut week, saying that it may start with anywhere between 60,000-75,000 sales. As it happened, Nothing Personal debuted at number four and sold 63,000 copies, becoming the group's best sales week and highest charting album.
Talking about the album, vocalist Alex Gaskarth explained to Alternative Press, "our music explains all the troubles we've been through...it has many things...This time, we tried to explore something a little bit deeper. We're exploring some new moods, which is pretty cool."
Writing and recording process
They began writing for their third album in between tours. It was widely reported by the media, notably MTV and Alternative Press, that All Time Low had collaboratively written a song with Mark Hoppus of Blink-182 and +44. The band came into contact with Hoppus after exchanging emails when a video of drummer Rian Dawson getting a Blink-182 tattoo was posted online. Months later, All Time Low contacted a number of producers whom they had had in mind to work on the record: some of them said they'd want to work with the band, and others said they would not. Hoppus' management replied saying he wanted to do something with the band, so they co-wrote a song with him. It was later revealed that the song would not feature on Nothing Personal, Alex Gaskarth saying "It just didn't fit the vibe of the record," but, "It will definitely come out at some time."
Although still in the writing process, All Time Low went into the studio to begin recording the album in January 2009. They chose an ensemble of producers, with Matt Squire, Butch Walker, David Bendeth, the team of S*A*M & Sluggo all involved. The song "Too Much" was also produced by R&B artist The-Dream. The band completed recording in February 2009.
Promotion and release
The first song from Nothing Personal released to the public was "Weightless", which was made available online at AbsolutePunk.net on March 24, 2009. The single was then released for paid download in the iTunes Store on April 7, 2009. A music video for the single was created, with it debuting on MTV, MTV2, mtvU and HITS the day before the album's release, on July 6, 2009. The single was released in the UK on August 3.
In April 2009, All Time Low announced the album's release date to be 7 July 2009. Nothing Personal's track listing was first released on AbsolutePunk.net in May 2009. The album was released digitally in the UK the same day as the US, on 7 July; however, the physical CD wasn't released until 14 September 2009.
The second single, titled "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)", made its first appearance prior to the album's release on June 3, 2009. SupJustin.com posted a clip of the song's chorus. The song was posted on the band's MySpace page on June 15 and was released digitally on June 16.
On June 6, another short clip from Nothing Personal was posted on SupJustin.com. It was 8 seconds of the demo version of "Lost in Stereo". "Lost in Stereo" is the third single off Nothing Personal.
Prior to its official release, the entire album was made available for streaming download on June 30, 2009 through MTV's The Leak. The album was then sold exclusively on July 2 at the Hopeless Records Booth on Warped Tour.
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating About.com  AbsolutePunk 73% Allmusic  Alternative Press  Billboard 65% Kerrang! KKKK Rock Sound 8/10 ShockHound  The Washington Post (mixed)
Nothing Personal has been met with mixed reviews. Alternative Press gave the album 3.5/5. Commenting on the album's first single, they said "'Weightless' is an insta-classic". The reviewer, however, was disappointed in the producers for their use of Auto-Tune, saying "This boy (Gaskarth) can sing, let him already." The article also contradicted AbsolutePunk's view on the song "Too Much", saying it "is a remarkable progression for the quartet: a slow, electronic-tinged number." The Washington Post was also hugely favorable of the album. Reviewer Nancy Dunham said "The songs on Nothing Personal are what pop-punk is all about -- or should be, anyway." She also said the album "will likely gain the band plenty of media and popular attention" and that "the album's 12 tunes are so jaunty and their lyrics about first love, betrayal and parties so angst-filled you can easily imagine them playing in the background of the TV shows The Hills or 90210." Tim Sendra of Allmusic awarded a score of 3.5/5. Although he stated "All Time Low shows signs of maturing", he summarised by adding, "Nothing Personal is an example of emo-pop at its best, and anyone who thinks emo is just a bunch of pop junk might be surprised at how catchy and powerful a modern rock album it is". Kerrang! writer Nick Ruskell, rated the album with KKKK's (5/5) and praised lead single, "Weightless", as "a three minute rush of punk smothered in pop fairy dust". He went onto add that, "Nothing Personal is simply a good, fun record". Rock Sound stated the band had "nailed it with their third offering" awarding a score of 8/10. The review went onto say, "Lead single ‘Weightless’ kicks things off in cracking fashion with its epic sing-along chorus, and the momentum continues well into the rest of the album. Matt Squire (Panic! at the Disco) returns with his trademark production polish". Courtney Lear of online music site ShockHound, also praised the album awarding a score of 5/5. She commented that the album had "massive hooks and memorable choruses, with frontman Alex Gaskarth singing songs about cross-country partying, drinking too much, and hooking up. Who needs classy guys? Rebel against your parents, girls".
No. Title Length 1. "Weightless" 3:18 2. "Break Your Little Heart" 2:51 3. "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)" 3:07 4. "Lost in Stereo" 3:47 5. "Stella" 3:24 6. "Sick Little Games" 3:36 7. "Hello, Brooklyn" 3:29 8. "Walls" 3:11 9. "Too Much" 4:14 10. "Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal" 3:20 11. "A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)" 2:59 12. "Therapy" 3:44Total length: 41:00 Bonus tracks No. Title Length 13. "Poison" 3:18 14. "Weightless" (The Secret Handshake Remix) 3:08 15. "Lost in Stereo" (Cobra Starship Suave Suarez Remix) 3:55 16. "Dear Maria, Count Me In" (Connect Sets Acoustic) 3:25 17. "Coffee Shop Soundtrack" (Acoustic Remix) 3:55
All Time Low
- Alex Gaskarth - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Jack Barakat - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Zack Merrick - bass guitar, backing vocals
- Rian Dawson - drums, percussion
Recording and production staff
- Matt Squire - producer on "Weightless", "Break Your Little Heart", "Stella", "Too Much", "Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal" and "A Party Song (The Walk of Shame)"
- Butch Walker - producer on "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)" and "Sick Little Games"
- David Bendeth - producer on "Walls" and "Therapy"
- S*A*M & Sluggo - producer on "Lost in Stereo" and "Hello, Brooklyn"
- The-Dream - producer on "Too Much"
Region Date Label Format Catalog United States July 7, 2009 Hopeless Records CD, digital download 710 United Kingdom Digital download September 14, 2009 CD Australia July 10, 2009 Boomtown Records Bundled with Take Action Vol. 8 HR710-AUS July 20, 2009 CD, digital download
Chart (2009) Peak
Australian Albums Chart 71 Canadian Albums Chart 22 Dutch Albums Chart 86 Japan Albums Chart 69 Swedish Albums Chart 22 UK Albums Chart 104 US Billboard 200 4 US Alternative Albums 1 US Independent Albums 1 US Rock Albums 1
Year Title Peak position US
2009 "Weightless" 104 "Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)" 67 2010 "Lost in Stereo" -
- ^ a b c d e f "The Six Degrees of Summer: Discs". Alternative Press. http://alternativepress.com/features/six-degrees-discs.htm. Retrieved 2009-06-05. [dead link]
- ^ Keith Caulfield. "Maxwell Headed For Big Billboard Chart Debut". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/maxwell-headed-for-big-billboard-chart-debut-1003992216.story. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- ^ Keith Caulfield. "Maxwell Tops Billboard 200". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/maxwell-tops-billboard-200-1003993668.story. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- ^ a b "Ex-Blink, Current +44 Mark Hoppus Hits All Time Low For Song". Artisan News. YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYASI-dVuY. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ a b "All Time Low Didn't Need Mark Hoppus to Make Nothing Personal Huge". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1616307/20090715/all_time_low.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- ^ a b "All Time Low to go into the studio next week". Alternative Press. http://altpress.com/news/5671.htm. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ Drew Beringer. "All Time Low - Nothing Personal". AbsolutePunk.net. http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1158312. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ "All Time Low Stream New Song & Confirm Album Title". Rocklouder. http://www.rocklouder.co.uk/articles/7259/All-Time-Low-Stream-New-Song--Confirm-Album-Title.html. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ^ "All Time Low streaming Nothing Personal on MTV.com". Alternative Punk. http://altpress.com/news/7435.htm. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ "MTV.Com to Premiere All Time Low's New Album, Nothing Personal". Altsounds. http://hangout.altsounds.com/news/108610-mtv-com-to-premiere-all-time-lows-new-album-nothing-personal.html. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ a b c "All Time Low Confirm UK Release Details for 'Nothing Personal'". Rocklouder. http://www.rocklouder.co.uk/articles/7623/All-Time-Low-Confirm-UK-Release-Details-For-Nothing-Personal.html. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1003751 Archived 28 September 2009 at WebCite
- ^ "All Time Low Correct Track List". AbsolutePunk.net. http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1081282. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- ^ "Clip of Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't)". SupJustin.com. http://supjustin.com/post/117517337/atlnew. Retrieved 2009-06-03. [dead link]
- ^ ""Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don't" Single6". http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C0YUK2.
- ^ "Clip of "Lost in Stereo"". SupJustin.com. http://supjustin.com/post/119145975/lis. Retrieved 2009-06-06. [dead link]
- ^ "All Time Low Album Leak". AbsolutePunk.net. http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1155802. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ "Full-Length Album Leak: All Time Low, ‘Nothing Personal’". MTV Buzzworthy Blog. http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2009/06/30/full-length-album-leak-all-time-low-nothing-personal/. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ Bill Lamb. "All Time Low - Nothing Personal - Perky, Peppy and Not Particularly Original". About.com. http://top40.about.com/od/albums/fr/alltimelownothingpersonal.htm. Retrieved 2009-09-03.
- ^ Drew Beringer. "All Time Low - Nothing Personal". AbsolutePunk.net. http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1158312. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ a b Tim Sendra. "Nothing Personal Review". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1579922. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- ^ Heisel, Scott (7 July 2009). "Nothing Personal from All Time Low". Alternative Press. http://www.altpress.com/reviews/entry/nothingpersonal/. Retrieved 8 August 2009.
- ^ "All Time Low - Nothing Personal". Billboard.com. http://www.billboard.com/album/all-time-low/nothing-personal/1260748/review. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- ^ a b Kerrang! (Magazine) #1278 September 2009, p.54 FUN LOVING AMERICAN POP-PUNKS SHOOT FOR THE STARS - KKKK - Nick Ruskell
- ^ a b "Reviews > All Time Low - ‘Nothing Personal’". Rock Sound. http://www.rocksound.tv/reviews/article/all-time-low-nothing-personal. Retrieved 2009-09-08.
- ^ a b Courtney Lear. "Nothing Personal". ShockHound.com. http://www.shockhound.com/albums/362228-all-time-low-mp3s-nothing-personal#Featured%20Editorial%20Review. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ a b Nancy Dunham (2009-07-10). "CD Review: 'Nothing Personal' by All Time Low". The Washington Post. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070901648.html. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- ^ "Releases: All Time Low - Nothing Personal". Boomtown Records. http://www.boomtownrecords.com.au/releases/all-time-low-nothing-personal/. Retrieved 2009-07-06.
- ^ "Nothing Personal". JB Hi-Fi. http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/Product/438785/NOTHING-PERSONAL-(Bonus-Take-Action-Vol-8-2CD. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ "The ARIA Report Issue 1012" (PDF). Pandora Archive. Australian Recording Industry Association. http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/23790/20090805-0000/issue1012.pdf. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- ^ a b c d e "All Time Low - Artist Albums Chart History". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.chartFormatGroupName=Albums&model.vnuArtistId=769029&model.vnuAlbumId=1059425. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ http://dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=All+Time+Low&titel=Nothing+Personal&cat=a
- ^ http://swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=All+Time+Low&titel=Nothing+Personal&cat=a
- ^ "Chart Log UK: New Entries Update (wk38)". Zobbel.de. http://zobbel.de/cluk/090926cluk.txt. Retrieved 2009-09-27.
- ^ "All Time Low - Artist Singles Chart History". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retrieve_chart_history.do?model.vnuArtistId=769029&model.vnuAlbumId=1059425. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- ^ "Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles - Weightless". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/chart_display.jsp?cfi=344&cfgn=Singles&cfn=Bubbling+Under+Hot+100+Singles&ci=3107631&cdi=10180969&cid=04%2F25%2F2009. Retrieved 2009-04-22. [dead link]
All Time Low Alex Gaskarth · Jack Barakat · Zack Merrick · Rian Dawson Studio albums
and singles"Weightless" · "Damned if I Do Ya (Damned if I Don't)" · "Lost in Stereo""I Feel Like Dancin'" · "Forget About It" · "Time Bomb"
Extended playsThe Three Words to Remember in Dealing with the End · Put Up or Shut Up · Live from MySpace Secret Shows · Live Sessions · MTV Unplugged: All Time Low · All Time Low Live EP (iTunes Exclusive) Live albumsStraight to DVD Other songs Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nothing Personal — álbum de estudio de All Time Low Publicación 7 de julio de 2009 Grabación Enero Febrero de 2009 Género(s) Pop punk, rock alternativo … Wikipedia Español
Nothing Personal — may refer to: Nothing Personal (album), a 2009 studio album by American pop punk band All Time Low Nothing Personal (1995 film), a film by Thaddeus O Sullivan Nothing Personal (2009 film), a film by Urszula Antoniak Nothing Personal (TV series),… … Wikipedia
Nothing Personal — et le troisième album du groupe All Time Low, sorti en juillet 2009, et vendu à 63 000 exemplaires. Liste des chansons Weightless Break your little heart Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don t) Lost in stereo stella Sick Little Games Hello Brooklyn … Wikipédia en Français
Nada personal (album) — Nada Personal Studio album by Soda Stereo Released 1985 … Wikipedia
Nada Personal (album) — Infobox Album Name = Nada Personal Type = studio Artist = Soda Stereo Released = 1985 Recorded = Buenos Aires, 1984 Genre = New Wave Length = 40:28 Label = CBS Producer = Soda Stereo Reviews = * Allmusic Rating|2.5|5… … Wikipedia
Nothing to My Name — Cover artwork from the overseas release of the album Nothing to My Name … Wikipedia
Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You — Single by Glenn Medeiros from the album Glenn Medeiros … Wikipedia
Nothing But the Best (album) — Nothing But The Best Greatest hits album by Frank Sinatra Released … Wikipedia
Nothing (Janet Jackson song) — Nothing Single by Janet Jackson from the album Why Did I Get Married Too? Soundtrack and Icon: Number Ones Relea … Wikipedia
Nothing Records — Parent company Universal Music Group Founded 1992 Founder John Ma … Wikipedia