- RGC 1404
RGC 1404, formerly Gogledd Cymru (Welsh for "North Wales"; pronounced [ˈgɔglɛð ˈkəmrɨ]), is a fledgling rugby union development team announced by the Welsh Rugby Union in September 2008. Although an amateur North Wales rugby representative side had existed for over 50 years, Gogledd Cymru was established by the North Wales Rugby Council, in Feb 2007, in response to the WRU approved strategic plan for the development of rugby union in the region. This saw a north Wales side playing in the Welsh Premiership division by 2010-11 In their first season Gogledd Cymru reached the final of the Welsh Counties Cup.
One of the criteria for achieving Welsh Premierhsip status is a playing venue which meets WRU criteria for this league. There are only 2 grounds in north Wales which meet these criteria, the Racecourse Ground in Wrexham and Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay. In May 2008, Gogledd Cymru played their first game at Parc Eirias against a Combined Services side,simultaneously celebrating being named Rugby World Magazine's Team of the Year. In the same year plans to establish a Cooperative Community Interest Company (CCIC) were put in place and Rygbi Gogledd Cymru CCIC was incorporated on the 9th Jan 2009. It was the first such rugby administrative structure in the UK. In December 2008 Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay was ratified by the WRU as a Premiership standard home venue for the team.
The profiles, structures and planning put in place by Gogledd Cymru stimulated a unique rugby partnership with Conwy County Borough Council,the WRU and Rugby Canada. In August 2009 a series of major initiatives were announced aimed at the continued development of the game in North Wales . These included launching a North Wales Rugby Academy and an innovative plan to introduce Rugby Canada international players to the development region's representative team.
On the 19th January 2011 Rygbi Gogledd Cymru CCIC went into liquidation but the team continue to play. In its short life RGC-CIC had a major impact on rugby in North Wales. Directly or as a catalyst it:-
- Created a regional rugby identity and brand (Gogledd Cymru and subsequently RGC1404),
- Offered senior players, referees and spectators the experience of high quality rugby,
- Identified Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay as the most suitable venue for the team, stimulating a £6.5 million regeneration investment which will have a major impact on the town,
- Provided a vehicle for the development of Canadian Rugby,
- Facilitated the return of a former Wales Coach to the International Rugby stage,
- Organised the world’s first open International Rugby Injuries Conference,
- Initiated innovative research into the use of virtual reality simulators to improve rugby skills,
- Improved the involvement of physiotherapists in North Wales rugby through the establishment of www. rugbyphysios.com
- Successfully managed the North Wales Rugby Team, for almost four years
- Organised the first reunion dinner for former North Wales Rugby players,
- Revived an historic North Wales fixture and the Rydal Vikings Rugby team inaugurating the annual Bleddyn Williams Trophy match.
Unfortunately, unlike a true catalyst, this activity has consumed RGC-CIC.
The team has been absorbed into the WRU National Academy and continues to play.
Backs Player Position Nationality Club Arwel Lloyd Aberystwyth Rhodri Carlton Jones Llandudno Jack Moorehouse Sale Marcus Holden Rhyl Nick Blevins Wolf Pack Connor Braid BC Bears Sean White BC Bears Forwards Player Position Nationality Club Andrew Baston Chester Kelvin Davies Llandudno James Jones Llanrwst Simon Griffiths Llangefni Tom Hughes Bala Hubert Buydens Wolf Pack Luke Cudmore BC Bears Jason Marshall BC Bears Jon Phelan The Rock Jebb Sinclair The Rock Chauncey O'Toole The Rock
- ^ http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2008/09/09/a-step-closer-to-joining-rugby-s-elite-55578-21705877/
- ^ http://www.box.net/shared/zji725btpd
- ^ http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/international/wru-plan-for-northern-development-team-923786.html
- ^ http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7562575.stm
- ^ http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conwy-sport/conwy-county-sport/2008/12/11/rugby-wru-unveil-parc-eirias-as-home-of-north-wales-rugby-55243-22454535/
- ^ BBC Sport - North Wales summon Owain Glyndwr's spirit in revamp
Rugby union in Wales Governing body National teams National team competitions Regional and club teams Regional and club competitions Previous competitions Related articles Rugby union in Canada Governing body Provincial unions National teams CompetitionsInternational: Canada at the Rugby World Cup · Americas Rugby Championship
National: Rugby Canada National Junior Championship · National Women's League · Canadian Rugby Championship
Former competitions Related articlesInternational players
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Clive Griffiths (rugby) — Clive Griffiths Personal information Full name Clive Griffiths Date of birth April 2, 1954 (1954 04 02) (age 57) Place of birth Swansea, Wales Nickname(s) Griff Club information Position(s) … Wikipedia
Cyprus Sevens Team — Cyprus Sevens Union Cyprus Rugby Federation Nickname(s) Mouflons Coach(es) … Wikipedia
North Wales rugby — North Wales Full name North Wales Rugby Union Nickname(s) The Gogs Location North Wales Ground(s) Various  North Wales Rugby (Welsh: Rygbi Gogledd Cymru … Wikipedia
Newport RFC — For the American rugby union team, see Newport RFC (Rhode Island). Newport RFC Full name Newport Rugby Football Club Union Welsh Rugby Union Nickname(s) … Wikipedia
Ospreys (rugby team) — Ospreys Union Welsh Rugby Union Founded 2003 Location Swansea, Wales Ground(s) … Wikipedia
Newport Gwent Dragons — Nickname(s) Dragons Founded 2003 Location Newport, Wales … Wikipedia
Neath RFC — Full name Neath Rugby Football Club Nickname(s) Welsh All Blacks, The Mourners Founded 1871 … Wikipedia
Maesteg RFC — Full name Maesteg Rugby Football Club Founded 1877 Location Maesteg, Wales Ground(s) Llynfi Road … Wikipedia
Crawshays RFC — Crawshays Welsh RFC is an invitational rugby union team. In 1922 Captain Geoffrey Crawshay was invited by the Engineer Commander of Devonport Services, SF Cooper, to bring a team of Welsh rugby union players to play Devonport Services RFC. From… … Wikipedia
Llanelli RFC — Union Welsh Rugby Union Founded 1875 Location Llanelli, Wales Grou … Wikipedia