- Nord Pool Spot
Nord Pool Spot AS Type Physical commodity exchange (energy exchange) Location Lysaker, Norway Founded 2002 Owner Statnett (30%)
Svenska Kraftnät (30%)
Key people Mikael Lundin (CEO)
Bente Hagem (Chairman)
Currency NOK, SEK, DKK, EUR Commodities Electric power Website www.nordpoolspot.com
Nord Pool Spot runs the largest market for electrical energy in the world, measured in volume traded (TWh) and in market share. It operates in Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia. More than 70% of the total consumption of electrical energy in the Nordic market is traded through Nord Pool Spot. It was the world's first multinational exchange for trading electric power. Nord Pool Spot offers both day-ahead and intraday markets.
Nord Pool Spot AS was established in 2002, when the derivatives and energy markets were separated from Nord Pool ASA (now NASDAQ OMX Commodities Europe). All Nord Pool spot market activities were transferred into Nord Pool Spot AS. In 2005, Nord Pool Spot expanded its activities to Germany by opening the KONTEK bidding area, and one year later opened its office in Berlin.
On 12 January 2010, Nord Pool Spot in cooperation with NASDAQ OMX Commodities launched the N2EX power market in the United Kingdom. On 2 February 2010, Nord Pool Spot signed an agreement with the Estonian national grid company Elering to create the Nord Pool Spot Estlink bidding area starting from 1 April 2010. Nord Pool Spot also delivered the technical solution for the Lithuanian market place Baltpool. On 9 June 2010, APX-ENDEX, Belpex and Nord Pool Spot agreed to create a cross-border intraday electricity market based on Nord Pool Spot's Elbas technology. The common intraday market will include Nordic countries, Germany, the Netherlands, and Belgium.
It is owned by the national grid companies Fingrid, Energinet.dk, Statnett, and Svenska Kraftnät. Nord Pool Spot has the main office in Lysaker (Oslo) and offices in Fredericia, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and London. It has wholly owned subsidiaries Nord Pool Spot AB and Nord Pool Finland Oy. In addition, Nord Pool Spot has 50% of shares in the gas exchange Nord Pool Gas A/S, the other shareholder is being Energinet.dk. In addition, in the United Kingdom Nord Pool Spot owns in cooperation with NASDAQ OMX Commodities the N2EX power market, which is not a legal entity.
The Nord Pool Spot market membership includes energy producers, energy intensive industries, large consumers, distributors, funds, investment companies, banks, brokers, utility companies and financial institutions. Nord Pool Spot AS has a customer base of 317 in Elspot and 55 in Elbas.
Nord Pool Spot AS is the world's largest exchange for electrical energy measured in volume (300 TWh) and market share (73.5% in 2009). It operates the day-ahead market for electrical energy, Elspot, and the intraday market, Elbas.
- ^ http://www.npspot.com/Market_Information/Exchange-information/No-232010-NPS--Capacity-negotiations-finalized-for-the-new-Estlink-bidding-area-/
- ^ a b "Our history". Nord Pool ASA. http://www.nordpool.com/en/asa/General-information/Mission--vision/History/. Retrieved 2010-02-06. [dead link]
- ^ "History". Nord Pool Spot AS. http://www.nordpoolspot.com/about/History/. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- ^ a b Kwok W. Wan (2010-01-12). "Nasdaq, Nord Pool launch new UK power market". Reuters. http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60B27120100112?type=marketsNews&sp=true. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- ^ Juhan Tere (2010-02-02). "Elering and Nord Pool Spot conclude a cooperation agreement". The Baltic Course. http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/energy/?doc=23171. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- ^ "Nord Pool Spot will deliver the technical solution for new Lithuanian market place" (Press release). Nord Pool Spot. 2009-08-28. http://www.nordpoolspot.com/Market_Information/Exchange-information/No732009--Nord-Pool-Spot-will-deliver-the-technical-solution-for-new-Lithuanian-market-place/. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
- ^ "APX-ENDEX, Belpex and Nord Pool Spot to establish cross-border intraday electricity market from Helsinki to Brussels" (Press release). Nord Pool Spot. 2010-06-10. http://www.nordpoolspot.com/Market_Information/Exchange-information/No-362010-NPS---APX-ENDEX-Belpex-and-Nord-Pool-Spot-to-establish-cross-border-intraday-electricity-market-from-Helsinki-to-Brussels/. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- ^ "About Nord Pool". Nord Pool ASA. http://www.nordpool.com/en/asa/General-information/. Retrieved 2010-02-06. [dead link]
- ^ a b "About us". Nord Pool Spot AS. http://www.nordpoolspot.com/en/about/. Retrieved 2010-02-06.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nord Pool — Infobox Exchange name = Nord Pool group nativename = type = Physical and financial commodity exchange city = Oslo country = Norway coor = founded = 1996 owner = Statnett (20%) Svenska Kraftnät (20%) Fingrid (20%) Energinet.dk (20%) Nord Pool ASA… … Wikipedia
Nord Pool — NASDAQ OMX Commodities Europe Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Gründung 1996 Sitz … Deutsch Wikipedia
NASDAQ OMX Commodities Europe — This article is about the energy market financial instruments exchange. For the Nordic Baltic physical energy exchange, see Nord Pool Spot. NASDAQ OMX Commodities Europe Type Fin … Wikipedia
Energinet.dk — is an electricity and natural gas transmission system operator in Denmark. It is a state owned company.HistoryEnerginet.dk was created by a merger of power grid operators Eltra, Elkraft System and Elkraft Transmission, and by natural gas… … Wikipedia
Экономика Эстонии — Экономические показатели Центральный офис эстонского филиала банка SEB … Википедия
European Market Coupling Company — Logo European Market Coupling Company. European Market Coupling Company, EMCC oder emcc, bietet Engpassmanagement auf grenzüberschreitenden Hochspannungsleitungen im Bereich der Transportnetzebene. EMCC betreibt dafür eine Art der Marktkopplung,… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Estlink — 1 Location of Estlink Location Country Estonia, Finland General direction south–north–south … Wikipedia
Nordic energy market — is a common market for energy in Nordic countries. It is one of the first free energy markets in Europe and is traded in NASDAQ OMX Commodities Europe and Nord Pool Spot. In 2003, the largest market shares were as follows: Vattenfall 17%, Fortum… … Wikipedia
Economics of new nuclear power plants — The economics of new nuclear power plants is a controversial subject, since there are diverging views on this topic, and multi billion dollar investments ride on the choice of an energy source. Nuclear power plants typically have high capital… … Wikipedia
Finland — This article is about the country in Northern Europe. For other uses, see Finland (disambiguation). Coordinates: 65°N 27°E / 65°N 027°E / 65; … Wikipedia