- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Manufacturer Nokia Compatible networks GSM, EGPRS, WCDMA, HSDPA, A-GPS Predecessor None Successor Nokia X6, (unofficial) Nokia C6-01  Related Nokia C5-03 Form factor Candybar Dimensions 111 × 51.7 × 15.5 mm Weight 109g Operating system Symbian OS 9.4 (Firmware Version V60.0.003) CPU ARM11 @ 434 Mhz after firmware V20  Memory 128 MB SDRAM, 256 MB NAND, 81 MB Internal User Storage Removable storage max. 16 GB microSDHC (32 GB unofficial), 8 GB card included Battery BL-5J (3.7V 1320mAh); 2 mm charging connector Data inputs Touchscreen with Nokia Dynamic Intelligent Layouts, proximity sensor, accelerometer Display nHD 640 x 360 pixels, 3.2 inch 16:9 widescreen, (16.7 million colours) Rear camera 3.2 Megapixels, Carl Zeiss AG optics with autofocus and dual LED flash Front camera Front camera for video calls Media AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MP3, MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 2 VGA / H.264 QVGA), M4A, WMA, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, Mobile XMF, SP-MIDI, MIDI Tones (poly 64), RealAudio 7,8,10, True tones, WAV, but not Ogg files. Connectivity Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR/A2DP), WLAN (802.11 b/g), MicroUSB 2.0; 3.5 mm headphone and video-out jack
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is a smartphone and portable entertainment device by Nokia. It was introduced on January 2, 2008 and released on April 27, 2008. Code-named "Tube", it is the first touchscreen-equipped S60 device by Nokia, the version being s60v5. It's part of the XpressMusic series of phones, which emphasizes music and multimedia playback. The touchscreen features tactile feedback (though it does not use Nokia's Haptikos technology).
The 5800 has a compatibility mode for Java applications that are not touchscreen-aware. It works by using part of the screen for displaying the essential buttons required by the program.
On January 23, 2009, Nokia announced it had shipped the millionth 5800 XpressMusic device, even though it still had not been fully released worldwide. In Nokia's Q1 report released on April 16, 2009 it was announced they had shipped 2.6 million units during the quarter, with cumulative shipments of more than 3 million units since the smartphone's launch in late April 2008. Q2 results released July 16, 2009 reports 3.7 million units shipped during the quarter and more than 6.8 million units total have shipped since the release. As of November 2009, over 8 million units had been sold.
The Nokia 5800 XpressMusic is not the first touchscreen device in Nokia's range. In 2004, the Nokia 7700 was announced, a Nokia Series 90 device that was cancelled before it reached the market. This was followed by the Nokia 7710 which was an upgraded version of the 7700 and became available during 2005. Nokia also produced the UIQ-based Nokia 6708 phone in 2005, but this was not an in-house development and was bought in from Taiwanese manufacturer BenQ. Nokia have also produced a range of Maemo-based Internet tablets which have a touchscreen interface, but are not mobile phones by themselves (one can connect and use a phone via Bluetooth). The 5800 is, however, Nokia's first Symbian S60 touchscreen device.
In early February 2009 the website Mobile-Review.com, which was initially very enthusiastic about the handset, published its research and concluded that the Nokia 5800 had a design flaw. Specifically, when phones were used on a daily basis, their earpieces, produced for Nokia under contract by a third party, would cease to function in a very short time. Repairs performed under warranty would only temporarily fix the problem. The defect was found to be in the earpiece design. Nokia's public relations department had admitted that the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic contained this design defect. According to Nokia, they switched to another earpiece manufacturer, so all 5800's produced during February 2009 or later should be free from defect, with previously produced earpieces eligible for free warranty repair. New earpiece parts have also been supplied to Nokia service centres and future phone repairs should permanently fix the defect.
On 21 August 2009, Nokia announced a new variant named Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition. In addition to the normal Nokia 5800 it has the latest version of Ovi Maps pre-installed. It also comes with a car-charger and car-kit inside the box because the GPS decreases the battery life. Both the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and the 5800 Navigation edition, however, have free lifetime navigation, due to the new version of Ovi maps. It is now available at nokia.com.
A prototype of this handset was seen in the 2008 Batman movie, The Dark Knight and a number of music videos such as Christina Aguilera's "Keeps Gettin' Better", "Womanizer" by Britney Spears, Flo Rida's "Right Round", Pitbull's "Shut It Down", The Pussycat Dolls' "Jai Ho!" and "Hush Hush", Katy Perry's "Waking Up in Vegas" and Cobra Starship's "Good Girls Go Bad". The phone has received generally positive reviews, with UK phone magazine Mobile Choice awarding it a full 5 stars in its January 7, 2009 issue.
Nokia announced the 5800 XpressMusic in London on January 2, 2008. The suggested retail price was €279 before taxes and network subsidies. The phone was made available Q4 2008 in Finland and other markets, specifically in Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Ukraine and United Arab Emirates. The phone missed the Christmas sales in more matured markets[dubious ]. Nokia has only commented that it needs time to customize the phone's software for operators in other markets. Analysts speculated the delay as a business manoeuvre not to butcher its existing product portfolio sales for Christmas as the phone is very competitively priced. The phone hit the rest of Europe in early 2009. The European version was available for United States customers on December 14, a North American version was released on February 26 and was briefly pulled soon after due to customers reporting 3G reception issues. It was put back on sale on March 14 after the firmware was updated to fix the issue. It was released in Australia on the 20th of March 2009.
The phone made its worldwide debut in several countries including Russia, Pakistan, Spain, India, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Finland on April 27, 2008. The final pricing of the Nokia 5800 caused outrage amongst Nokia fans on several Internet forums, as it was a 33% increase from the original estimated retail price of €279 (due to the fact that Hong Kong does not have VAT as of 2008, and that the mobile phone doesn't come with Nokia's Comes With Music Service since it hasn't been launched in Hong Kong yet). In Russia it was priced at 14,990 rubles (€350) at the launch without Nokia's Comes With Music Service. This however changed on a wider launch a couple days later, when it started going for US$350.When The phone made it debut in Pakistan it was priced Rs 23000 / $378.Nokia 5800 finally made its debut in Malaysia on Friday, 9 January 2009 after it was first announced in January and February 2008. The device retails for MYR 1499. Nokia threw a party at Pavilion to officiate the release. The phone is already available in India, released on 8 January 2009 by brand ambassador Priyanka Chopra for a retail price of (inclusive of all taxes + VAT) 19,999 (US$405.58) (Recently reduced to 13,600 (US$275.81)). Its available in the Philippines last January 10 for Php.19,990 (now 15,990 for the complete version and 14,000 for the basic package - minus A/V cable, stand, extra stylus and rubber casing). The official release date in Sweden is February 16. It's available in Vietnam as of January 5 for VND.6.700.000, about 385 USD, one of the lowest prices. The phone will be available in Thailand on February 28, 2009 for Thb. 13,520. The United Kingdom launch was January 23, 2009 and the price was £249.99. The 5800 was announced by Nokia in South Africa during early February 2009. It had an initial price of R5,559.00, or approximately US$570 on the Vodacom network, according to their February 2009 brochure, making it one of the highest priced in the world. It was released in Bangladesh on the 27th of January. It was released on Rogers Communications in Canada in June 2009. Because of laws about WIPI, it is released on Korea at late November 2009. The phone is also available in Bangladesh for BDT 23500 or approx. USD 341 (now reduced to BDT 22400 or approx. USD 325 for the basic package - minus A/V cable, stand, extra stylus and rubber casing)
The price reductions of the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic have resulted in some changes to the standard package/features.
- Video-out cable is removed (functionality is missing only for phones manufactured in Sep'09 in India).
- Additional stylus is removed.
- Pouch is removed.
- Stand is removed (only on some markets).
(However in India, regardless of all these removed items, Nokia offers a pair of free Sennheiser headphones worth $55 in the standard package)
Early adopters of the device who bought from the first patch reported to experience many problems with the device earpiece and display, and many Youtube videos showed how to fix these problems at home.
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic has the following specifications:
- 81-mm / 3.2-inch 16.7M TFT resistive touchscreen, 360 × 640 pixels resolution (16:9 display ratio).
- Dimensions: 111 × 51.7 × 15.5 mm, 83 cm3
- Weight: 109 g (incl. battery and sim card).
- S60 5th edition OS with touch input running Symbian OS v9.4
- Quad band GSM / GPRS / EDGE: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- Dual band UMTS / HSDPA: UMTS 900 / 2100 (5800-1) or UMTS 850 / 1900 (5800-2 Latin America and Brazil variant)
- Stand-by time - Upto 406 hrs
- Integrated hands-free speakerphone
- Vibrating alert
- Accelerometer for auto screen rotation.
- 3.2 MP AF Carl Zeiss lens, dual LED flash, 3x digital zoom and geotagging support.
- GPS with A-GPS function and Ovi Maps
- FM Radio 87.5-108 MHz with RDS (max. 20 stations).
- 3.5 mm headphone / video-out jack and Nokia video-out cable CA-75U.
- MicroSDHC card slot (up to 16 GB) and 8GB card included in box (unofficial support up to 32 GB)
- Micro-USB 2.0 connector, Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR/A2DP/AVRCP) and Wireless LAN.
- Colours Available - Black, Blue & Red
Keys and input method
- Stylus, plectrum and finger touch support for text input and user interface control (alphanumeric keypad, full and mini qwerty keyboard, handwriting recognition)
- Dedicated Media Bar touch key for access to music, gallery, share on-line, Video Centre and web browser
- Voice commands
- Physical keys for application launch key (menu key), send & end, power, camera, lock, volume up & down.
- Built-in support for Flash Lite 3.1.
- Java ME MIDP 2.0 included.
- Read-only trial version of QuickOffice is available, allowing to read MS Office/Openoffice.org files, also supporting the Office Open XML file format.
- Adobe Reader LE trial version
- Ovi Maps
- Other s60v5 (*.sis) and Java (*.jar) software.
From firmware version 20.0.012 onwards, the 5800's CPU clock was increased from 369 MHz to 434 MHz, matching the N97 specification. However, improved overall performance can be observed since firmware version 30.
On January 13, 2010, Nokia released a major firmware update, version 40.0.005. The update includes bug fixes, speed improvements and new features. The most visible are kinetic scrolling to all menus (except the main and applications menus) and an improved home screen that was first introduced on the Nokia 5530. This version update also saw the removal of alphanumeric keypad in landscape view during text input. This was replaced by a full QWERTY keyboard. The new home screen provides a contacts carousel, with up to 20 contacts and program shortcuts on screen at the same time. There is a change on option selecting in every menus, but hard to notice; if one selects and holds on that selection, it will be in white, but normal colours when selecting an option is still being red like in v20.
On April 19, 2010, firmware version 50.0.005 was released. This new major update brought some new features available in Nokia N97, such as an upgrade to the existing web browser to version 7.2 and full kinetic scrolling and auto-full screen while browsing the web; a new music player with mini-album art in the song list and the album list, initial letter filtering of track titles in the music player while scrolling using the scroll-bar. As a result, the search function was removed from the music player. A new application called Ovi Sync was installed and the Nokia Music Store received a revamped user interface and was renamed to "Ovi Music". In some regions, Quick Office 4.2.374 is integrated with full free license. Search application's icon was changed and a few more minor updates for better touch sensitivity and tweaks for faster operation of the phone are present. And a little update to the color, the option you select is in silver, but when hold an option, it is still being white like v40. There is also the new feature, one-touch dialling.
Firmware 51.0.006 appeared in August 2010 and contained minor bug fixes and updates to various applications. RDS function, however, remains dysfunctional since version 40.0.005. The web browser has lost its ability to re-flow the text when the page is enlarged. In November 2010, an updated firmware for Nokia 5800 was released for Nokia 5800 as V52.0.007. The firmware update expects
- Greater New Features
- Updated Application
- Performance improvements (very noticeable)
- RDS function fix
There is still no "pencil" or "select several" ability in the gallery.
On October 20, 2011, firmware version 60.0.003 was released. This new major update brought the new Symbian Anna browser 184.108.40.206.
- Mobile Java
- Nokia PC Suite
- Nokia Software Updater
- Qt (framework)
- Signer[disambiguation needed ]
- Widget, WRT and *.wgz
- Wireless personal area network (WPAN)
- ^ http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2010/12/16/nokia-c6-01-review/
- ^ a b Nokia 5800 technical details at Forum Nokia
- ^ Device Details -- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
- ^ QHD - The Free Online Dictionary
- ^ Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Press Release
- ^ Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Press Release 2008-10-02
- ^ Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Press Release 2008-11-27
- ^ http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-5800-2-en.shtml Review of GSM/UMTS-smartphone Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
- ^ http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1284621
- ^ http://www.nokia.com/about-nokia/financials/quarterly-and-annual-information/q1-2009
- ^ http://www.nokia.com/results/Nokia_results2009Q2e.pdf
- ^ http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Nov2009/5800-XpressMusic-in-Chrome-Exclusive-to-T-Mobile-3G.html
- ^ Nokia's First Touchscreen Phones
- ^ Nokia N97 - Press Release
- ^ The new Nokia 6208c - Nokia Press Bulletin Board
- ^ All Nokia 5800 come with a defect?!
- ^ "Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition launches with lifetime guidance". http://conversations.nokia.com/2009/08/21/nokia-5800-navigation-edition-launches-with-lifetime-guidance/. Retrieved 2009-08-24.
- ^ http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-5800-navigation-edition
- ^ http://www.mobilechoiceuk.com/Phone-review?product_id=447
- ^ a b Nokia 5800 XpressMusic now available at Chicago flagship store
- ^ http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/03/14/north-american-nokia-5800-xpressmusic-available-once-again-with/
- ^ Nokia press release
- ^ Covering the UK Launch of the 5800
- ^ http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/nokia-5800/27620-5800-display-problem.html
- ^ http://thehandheldblog.com/2009/03/02/an-investigation-into-the-nokia-5800s-earpiece-woes/
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2veHZcKCEPE
- ^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJv0R6awSlo
- ^ http://edageek.com/2008/10/02/nokia-tube-capacitive/
- ^ Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Specification, Features & Prices
- ^ http://europe.nokia.com/A4397376
- ^ http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-5800-xpressmusic/specifications
- ^ http://www.quickoffice.com
- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Product Page
- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Complete Device Specifications
- Nokia 5800 XpressMusic Support Site
- Nokia end-user support forum
- Nokia Device Manager
Symbian (Symbian Foundation) Symbian^1 models Symbian^2 modelsFujitsu: DoCoMo F-06B · DoCoMo F-07B · DoCoMo F-08B · F-10B · Raku-Raku Phone 7 / Sharp: DoCoMo SH-07B Symbian Anna models Symbian Belle models Device manufacturers Related Nokia mobile phones Nokia 1000 series Nokia 2000 series Nokia 3000 series Nokia 5000 series Nokia 6000 series
- 6110 Navigator
- 6120/6121/6124 classic
- 6210 Navigator
- 6220 classic
- 6260 Slide
- 6303 classic
- 6500 classic
- 6500 slide
- 6600 fold
- 6600 slide
- 6650 fold
- 6700 classic
- 6700 slide
- 6710 Navigator
- 6720 classic
- 6760 Slide
Nokia 7000 series Nokia 8000 series Nokia 9000 series
Nokia 000series Nokia Asha
- Asha 200/201
- Asha 300
- Asha 303
Nokia Cseries Nokia Eseries Nokia Nseries Nokia Xseries Nokia Lumia Nokia Internet Tablet N-Gage Others Concept List of Nokia products · Nokia phone series Nokia 3G Phones 2000 series 3000 series3120 classic · 3710 fold 5000 series 6000 series 7000 series Cseries Eseries Nseries Xseries Nokia XpressMusic
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic — Fabricant Nokia Année Fin 2008 mars 2011 Fonctions Écran Écra … Wikipédia en Français
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic — Производитель Nokia Поддерживаемые сети GSM … Википедия
Nokia 5800 XpressMusic — Pantalla nHD 640 x 360 píxels, … Wikipedia Español
Nokia 5530 XpressMusic — Fabricante Nokia Pantalla Resolución: 640 x 360 píxeles Tamaño: 2.9 Profundidad de Color: 16,7 Mill … Wikipedia Español
Nokia 5320 XpressMusic — Lanzamiento 4T 2008 Pantalla QVGA de 2 pulgadas, TFT TN , 256K colores, 240x320 pixels Memoria 160 MB, miniSD hasta 16 GB … Wikipedia Español
Nokia 5610 XpressMusic — Diese Liste bietet eine Übersicht über verschiedene Nokia Mobiltelefone. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Nokia 1xxx 1.1 Nokia 1100 1.2 Nokia 1110 1.3 Nokia 1200 1.4 Nokia 1208 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nokia 5530 XpressMusic — Manufacturer Nokia Compatible networks GSM, EGPRS Successor Nokia X6 … Wikipedia
Nokia 5630 XpressMusic — Manufacturer Nokia Compatible networks GSM, EGPRS, WCDMA, HSDPA, HSUPA Availability by country 2009 Predecessor Nokia 5320 XpressMusic Related … Wikipedia
Nokia 5700 XpressMusic — Manufacturer Nokia Compatible networks GSM 850 / 900 / GSM 1800 / GSM 1900 Availability by country April 200 … Wikipedia
Nokia 5630 XpressMusic — Производитель Nokia Поддерживаемые сети GSM 850/900/1800/1900 WCDMA (UMTS) 900/2100 Формфактор моноблок Размеры 46 x 112 x 12 мм Вес 83 г Камера 3.2 мп каме … Википедия