Nitrome Limited Type Limited Industry Browser games Founder(s) Mat Annal
Headquarters London, England,
Products Various games Employees 15 Website nitrome.com
Nitrome Limited, commonly known as Nitrome, is an independent game development company based in London, England, United Kingdom. The company makes Flash-based games. Their games are recognizable by the pixel art design and cartoon-like appearance, along with a jingle to the start of every game and chiptune tunes. Nitrome was originally started by Mat Annal and Heather Stancliffe, two graphic designers, intending to create games for mobile phones. Instead, the company began taking on commissions Internet-based flash games and have continued to do so since, making up to two games a month. Nitrome's games are published on their website and are often available to license on other websites such as Miniclip and MTV Arcade.
Nitrome's creation stemmed from a conversation between Mat Annal and Heather Stancliffe, in which Mat suggested that they make a game for mobile phones. Heather was initially hesitant, but Mat persuaded her that it could be a successful idea. The temporary website for their upcoming project was first launched on April 3, 2005, with a preview video of Chick Flick, their intended first game. On May 20, 2005, Mat's brother Jon joined the Nitrome team to help with the pixel art. Heather Stancliffe left Nitrome in 2010 to persue a different career.
On August 26, 2011, Nitrome released a new design of the site, named "Nitrome 2.0". It includes a new skin, including all the old skins, and a new layout to the website.
Nitrome's website is primarily aimed at broadcasting and publicising the games the company has made, which is obvious in its design. There are various links to different games about the page and a slideshow on the front page demonstrating in-game videos from the sixteen most recent games.
The website lets the user select which skin to view the pages with, from a choice of 11 skins. Users have the option to either save the skin they have selected or use the most recent skin. The skins, as of 30 September 2011[update], are Classic, Winter, Retro, Horror, Party, Snowman, Factory, Ice Temple, NES (Nitrome Enjoyment System), Steampunk, and Nitrome 2.0 (named for the website changes).
The games made by the company can be put into four main categories. "Hot games" are the most recently made games, and thus considered the most popular (hence, "hot"). "Main games" tend to have full storylines, varying gameplay and multiple levels though not necessarily recent enough to be considered "hot". "Mini games" are shorter, sometimes with only one level, whilst "Multiplayer games" are designed for more than one person to play at once.
Nitrome has made games for MTV Arcade, Candystand and Miniclip. The company has also made "advergames", which, unlike the aforementioned, are made to advertise a product or service. The company allows for webmasters to place certain games on their websites, for a predetermined fee.
Most of the games are divided into levels (usually between 10 and 100), and also give the player the option to replay any level they have completed, even if they have lost. Some games also feature the concept of bosses.
Some games, such as Mutiny, Twang, Fault Line and Rustyard, have won awards in various areas.
In July 2009, Nitrome Limited released Twin Shot 2, their first game to use MochiCoins, a system allowing players to pay for extra content in browser games. Mat Annal said that Nitrome were "trialling" and that they "don't intend to use it in every game". They used MochiCoins again in B.C. Bow Contest, which they have updated twice.
- Music tracks from their games (available on iTunes, Napster, or Amazon MP3).
- Papercraft (Free)
- iPhone/iPod touch games (coming soon)
- MochiCoins microtransactions for Twin Shot 2 and B.C. Bow Contest
- ^ a b "Developer Spotlight: Nitrome". MochiLand. http://mochiland.com/articles/developer-spotlight-nitrome.
- ^ "about us". Nitrome Limited. 2006-06-19. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. http://ERGT4334Rweb.archive.org/web/20050406050104/http://www.nitrome.com/. Retrieved 2009-0294. "One day Mat said to Heather: "Y'know all this web stuff's ok, but wouldn't it be great if we could just make whatever we wanted?" [...] "I don't think anyone's gonna give us free reign [sic] to do just do whatever we want!" [...] "Well, why don't we make a mobile phone game?""
- ^ "Web Page Launched". Nitrome Limited. 2005-04-03. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20050406050104/http://www.nitrome.com/. Retrieved 2009-02-04. "We've launched our temporary web page today."
- ^ "Chick Flick Video". Nitrome Limited. 2005-04-03. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. http://web.archive.org/web/20050406050104/http://www.nitrome.com/. Retrieved 2009-02-04. "Exclusive first showing of our soon-to-be-finished java mobile phone game."
- ^ "Nitrome - Skins". http://www.nitrome.com/skins/.
- ^ "Nitrome - Hot Games". http://www.nitrome.com/index.html.
- ^ "Nitrome - Main Games". http://www.nitrome.com/main_games.html.
- ^ "Nitrome - Mini Games". http://www.nitrome.com/mini_games.html.
- ^ "Nitrome - Multiplayer Games". http://www.nitrome.com/multiplayer_games.html.
- ^ "MTV Arcade". http://www.mtv.com/games/arcade/.
- ^ "Nitrome - Services". http://www.nitrome.com/services/.
- ^ Annal, Mat (2009-07-20). "Twin Shot 2: Good and Evil". Nitrome Limited. http://www.nitrome.com/blog/article.html?id=65. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- ^ Annal, Mat (2009-06-25 accessdate=2009-07-20). "Twin Shot 2... more info". Nitrome Limited. http://www.nitrome.com/blog/article.html?id=65.
- ^ Nitrome - Shop
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nitrome — Ltd. ? Lema ? Fundación 3 de Abril del 2005 Sede Londres, Inglaterra … Wikipedia Español
Nitrome — Création 2005 Fondateurs Mat Annal Heather Stancliffe … Wikipédia en Français
Nitrome Limited — infobox company name = Nitrome Limited foundation = 2005 industry = Flash game design and programming products = See list of games employees = 25 or less type = Game producer location = The Old Fire Station, 140 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A… … Wikipedia
List of Nitrome Limited games — This is a list of the games made by Nitrome. Contents 1 Main games 2 Mini games 3 Mobile games 4 Notes 5 … Wikipedia
Anexo:Juegos de nitrome — Los juegos hechos por Nitrome pueden ser clasificados en diferentes categorías. La categoría Hot games , literalmente Juegos calientes , son los dieciséis juegos más recientes, y los considerados más populares ( Hot es popular). Estos juegos… … Wikipedia Español
Dirk Valentine and the Fortress of Steam — Infobox Software name =Dirk Valentine and the Fortress of Steam caption =A screenshot of the game with Dirk shown on Level 20. developer = Nitrome Limited latest release date = March 27, 2008 operating system = Mac, Windows genre = Flash game… … Wikipedia
MTV Networks — Industry Entertainment, cable and satellite television Founded 1984 Headquarters New York, New York … Wikipedia
Hot Air! — SypnosisHot Air is a pixel art online game created by game developer Nitrome. It was the first game Nitrome made, although probably not as popular, due to it s growing difficulty as the player progresses through the levels.PlotThe mouse cursor is … Wikipedia
Steampunk — Le steampunk est au départ un genre littéraire. C est à l origine un sous genre de la science fiction uchronique, dont l intitulé a été forgé par allusion au cyberpunk par l auteur K. W. Jeter à titre de boutade. Pour cette raison, il est… … Wikipédia en Français
Mochi Media — Type Game publishing Founder Jameson Hsu Bob Ippolito Headquarters San Francisco … Wikipedia