- Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases
Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases is a UK grassroots campaign which evolved out of a long protest campaign against the American spybase Menwith Hill near
Harrogate, North Yorkshirein 1992. It is part of an effort to bring public scrutiny and accountability to US military bases in the UK and abroad. The long term goal of the campaign is the withdrawal of US Visiting Forces and their agencies. The campaign employs non violent direct actionand civil disobedienceand has often arranged protests at various American bases in the UK.
The CAAB describes its work as "grounded in a deep concern and opposition to
weapons of mass destructionin general and nuclear weaponsin particular - specifically the proposed American Missile Defense/Theater Missile Defense (AMD/TMD) systems".
CAAB is a campaign.......
* grounded in a deep concern and opposition to weapons of mass destruction in general and nuclear weapons in particular - specifically the proposed American Missile Defense/Theater Missile Defense (AMD/TMD) systems
* focussed on American bases in the UK and abroad
* raising public awareness, scrutiny and accountability of American bases in the UK - over here, out of control and secretive
Using the democratic process by working with local councillors, MPs and MEPs - asking Parliamentary questions taking action through the legal system to change unsafe law - bringing the executive to account through the courts regularly monitoring US bases and Planning Departments re proposed developments on US bases-American AMD/TMD systems working with researchers, academics, media, peace activists making use of the US Freedom of Information Act and the UK Open Access to Government Information procedures taking non violent direct action and civil disobedience.
American Bases (in the UK) which the CAAB has protested include:
RAF Menwith Hill
GCHQ CSO Morwenstow
RAF Blenheim Crescent[ [http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2007-10-16b.157778.h UK Parliament Hansard (Written Answers) - RAF Blenheim Crescent - Nov 2007] ]
* [http://www.jmf.navy.mil/ Joint Maritime Facility] [ [http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafstmawgan/aboutus/jmf.cfm Joint Maritime Facility -RAF St Mawgan Website] ]
Faslane Peace Camp
Lindis Percyfounding member and joint coordinator of the campaign
* [http://www.caab.org.uk/ Campaign for the Accountability of American Bases] campaign website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.