- Robert Henry Newell
Robert Henry Newell
Robert Henry Newell, circa 1864
Born December 13, 1836
New York City
Died July 1901 (aged 64)
Brooklyn, New York
Occupation Writer Spouse Adah Isaacs Menken (from 1862-65) Parents Robert Newell (1803-54) and Anne (Lawrence) Newell
Robert Henry Newell (December 13, 1836– July 1901) was a popular 19th century American humorist.
During the U.S. Civil War, Newell wrote a series of satirical articles using the pseudonym Orpheus C. Kerr, commenting on the war and contemporary society. His articles appeared weekly in the New York Sunday Mercury, where he was the literary editor until 1862, and were published in a series of books. Among other newspapers he worked at, from 1869-74 he wrote for the New York World. From ~1862-65, he was married to famous actress Adah Isaacs Menken.
The name "Orpheus C. Kerr" was a play on the term "office seeker". At the time, political offices were seen as plums, involving relatively little work and regular pay, and were used by political parties as rewards for faithful party workers.
During the war, The Orpheus C. Kerr Papers was widely read and Newell enjoyed great popularity. He was one of the favorite humorists of Abraham Lincoln. When General Montgomery C. Meigs admitted that he had never heard of Orpheus C. Kerr or his Papers, Lincoln responded, “anyone who has not read them is a heathen.”
- The Orpheus C. Kerr Papers (1862) (Letters 1-52)
- The Orpheus C. Kerr Papers (Volume II)(1863) (Letters 53-79)
- The Palace Beautiful and Other Poems (1864)
- The Orpheus C. Kerr Papers (Volume III)(1865) (Letters 80-108)
- Avery Glibun, or Between Two Fires (1867)
- Smoked Glass (1868)
- The Cloven Foot (1870) (a parody of The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens)
- Versatilities (poems) (1871)
- The Walking Doll; or the Asters and Disasters of Society (1872)
- Studies in Stanzas (1882)
- There was once a Man (1884)
- ^ The National cyclopaedia of American biography, Vol. 11, p. 528 (1901)
- ^ (13 July 1901) Robert H. Newell Dead, The New York Times, Retrieved November 5, 2010
- ^ (14 July 1901). Robert H. Newell's Life Romance, The New York Times, Retrieved November 29, 2010
- ^ (20 July 1901). Derby, George. Orpheus C. Kerr: His Recent Death in Brooklyn and the True Facts in his Career, The New York Times, Retrieved November 5, 2010
- ^ Thomas, Benjamin P. “Lincoln’s Humor: An Analysis,” 3 Journal of the Abraham Lincoln Association (1981).
- ^ The Continuum Encyclopedia of American Literature, p.817-18 (2003) (ISBN 0826415172)
- ^ Scott E. Casper, Joanne D. Chaison, and Jeffrey D. Groves, Perspectives on American Book History: Artifacts and Commentary, Univ of Massachusetts Press, 2002 (ISBN 1558493174)
- ^ THE ORPHEUS C. KERR PAPERS: The Humor of the War-Dashes at Military Life with a Free Pencil, The Missouri Republican, August 20, 1862.
- Works by Robert Henry Newell at Project Gutenberg
- The Orpheus C. Kerr papers (1862), American Libraries Internet Archive
- The Palance Beautiful and Other Poems (1864) (full text)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Robert Henry Boll — (1875 June 7 1956 April 13 [As indicated in the photograph of Boll s tombstone in Louisville, Kentucky; see http://www.therestorationmovement.com/boll,rh.htm.] ) was a German born American preacher in the Churches of Christ. Boll is most known… … Wikipedia
Robert Newell (disambiguation) — Robert Newell may refer to:*Robert Newell (Oregon politician) (1807 1869), politician in Oregon, United States *Robert Newell (1835 1858), British Army recipient of the Victoria Cross *Robert Newell (composer), classical guitar composer *Robert… … Wikipedia
Henry Martin — may refer to:*Henry Martin (socialist) (c. 1864 ndash;1951), British socialist *Henry Robert Charles Martin (1889 ndash;1942), British officer of arms *Henry Martin (cartoonist), American cartoonist *Henry Martin (song), a traditional Scottish… … Wikipedia
Robert Newell (politician) — For other people named Robert Newell, see Robert Newell (disambiguation). Robert Newell Legislator in the Provisional Government of Oregon In office 1843–1848 … Wikipedia
Newell's Shearwater — Conservation status Endangered (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Robert Noyce — Born December 12, 1927(1927 12 12) Burlington, Iowa Died June 3, 1990(1990 06 03) … Wikipedia
Robert Phillips Corker Jr. — Robert (Bob) Corker Robert Bob Phillips Corker Jr. (* 24. August 1952 in Orangeburg, South Carolina) ist ein US Amerikanischer Politiker und 2007 republikanischer Senator im Senat der Vereinigten Staaten. Corker wuchs in Chattan … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Hardy — Données clés Naissance 29 octobre 1925 (1925 10 29) (86 ans) Cheltenham, Angleterre Nationalité … Wikipédia en Français
Henry McBride — (* 7. Februar 1856 in Farmington, Utah; † 7. Oktober 1937 in Seattle) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker und von 1901 bis 1905 der 4. Gouverneur von Washington. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Frühe Jahre 2 Gouverneur von Washington … Deutsch Wikipedia
Newell Convers Wyeth — N.C. Wyeth N.C. Wyeth N.C. Wyeth, vers. 1920. Nom de naissance Newell Convers Wyeth Activité(s) Artiste p … Wikipédia en Français