- New Village Leadership Academy
New Village Academy Logo of organizationSpiral Up! (motto) Location 23679 Calabasas Road, Suite 414
Information Type Private Grades Pre-kindergarten - Grade 6 Head of School Piano Foster Website nvlacademy.org
New Village Leadership Academy (NVLA), also known as New Village Academy, is a private elementary school located in Calabasas, California, USA. Indian Hills High School previously used the campus, and in 2008 actor Will Smith funded New Village Academy and leased the Calabasas facilities for three years. Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett-Smith selected the management for the school. Educational methodologies used by the school include Study Technology, Montessori, Gardner,[vague] and Bruner methods.
The school's campus was formerly used by Indian Hills High School, which relocated to Agoura High School in Agoura Hills, California to save money. In 2008, actor Will Smith paid US$889,000 to lease the Calabasas campus for three years, restructuring it from a high school to a private elementary school called New Village Academy. The school is located close to Will Smith's home in Calabasas. In 2004 Smith and his wife Jada Pinkett-Smith gave $20,000 to the Scientology home-schooling organization Hollywood Education and Literacy Program (HELP), which is licensed by the non-profit corporation Applied Scholastics. Prior to New Village Academy, Smith and Pinkett-Smith's two children were home schooled by their mother. The school was originally founded by the Smiths, who say they are not Scientologists, about three years ago as a homeschool for their younger children and those of several other families. Smith and his wife installed their current director of philanthropy, Jana Babatunde-Bey, as the executive director of the school and Jacqueline Olivier as Head of School.
In an appearance on Live with Regis and Kelly Will Smith commented on the educational methodologies used by the school: "There are just very powerful educational concepts that we believe in, and we feel like we want to design the system that revolutionizes public education." "New Village Academy was born of a simple question, 'Is it possible to create an educational environment in which children have fun learning?' Jada and I believe the answer is 'Yes.'", said Smith in a released statement. A spokesperson for Will Smith told The Guardian: "Will is leasing the campus for three years, plus he'll cover all costs such as utilities. The academy will be run privately, and will include pre-kindergarten through grade six." New Village Academy's Calabasas facilities opened in 2008. In March 2009 the Associated Press reported that Jada Pinkett-Smith planned to open a companion high-school.
Teaching and staff
Educational methodologies used by the school include Montessori, Gardner,[vague] Jerome Bruner, and Study Technology. Subjects included in the school's curriculum include Mathematics, literacy, Spanish, karate, yoga, robotics, technology, etiquette, art, and living skills. New Village Academy serves organic meals to students, and laptops are made available to all students. The school encourages parental involvement and restricted access to television. Tuition is approximately $12,000 per year to attend the school, and 80% of the students will receive financial assistance.
The staff includes a number of Scientologists, including the Director of Learning, Director of Qualifications and Artistic Director, as well as some of the school's teachers. New Village Academy's Director of Learning, formerly the director of HELP in Boston, graduated from the Scientology Delphi School in Milton, Massachusetts. The school's website lists "Study Technology", a form of education developed by Church of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, as one of its methodologies. The website utilizes Scientology terminology including "spiraling" and "gradient" in order to illustrate how students learn in the school's programs. The school's motto "Spiral Up" has been compared to Scientology's term "dwindling spiral", when "one commits overt acts unwittingly", although "spiral curriculum" is also a term associated with Jerome Bruner. When a student needs to be disciplined they are taken to the "ethics teacher". Jada Pinkett Smith told ABC News, "Study Technology is a secular methodology intended to help students better understand what is being studied and apply it to real life. NVLA integrates this methodology as a tool in instructional design by providing teachers the framework to design lessons and curriculum."
In response to reports of Scientology ties in 2008, Jacqueline Olivier who was administrator at the time, denied that the school had a religious affiliation, and told the Los Angeles Times: "People tend to think study technology is a subject, but it is really just the way the subject is taught. They then come to the conclusion that we are teaching Scientology when actually a methodology doesn't have anything to do with content." Olivier was appointed administrator at the school in 2007, her duties have included hiring all teachers since that time. She said that in addition to Scientologists the school also has Muslim, Christian and Jewish staff members, and said: "We are a secular school." "Faculty and staff do not promote their own religions at school." Children from all religious backgrounds will be accepted at the school.
Professor of computer science at Carnegie Mellon University and Scientology critic David S. Touretzky was critical of the school's use of study technology, and told the Los Angeles Times: "There is no reputable educator anywhere who endorses [study technology]. What happens is that children are inculcated with Scientology jargon and are led to regard L.R. Hubbard as an authority figure. They are laying the groundwork for later bringing people into Scientology." Touretzky maintains a website critical of Study Technology, and told the Los Angeles Times that the terms "Director of Qualifications" and the school's "Qual" department refer to those tested by a Church of Scientology qualifications teacher in a Scientology Auditing session. Karin Pouw, Scientology spokeswoman and director of public affairs for Church of Scientology International, disputed Touretzky's statements and asserted to the Los Angeles Times that Study Tech is not a religious methodology and is used in schools internationally.
In early September 2008 members of the anti-Scientology group Project Chanology protested outside of New Village Academy and objected to their claims that L. Ron Hubbard techniques were being used in the school.
In July 2009, Olivier and several of the teachers resigned from their posts for undisclosed reasons. Olivier was replaced by Piano Foster, an educator with Scientology associations; Foster began at the school on July 1, 2009. Piano Foster has participated in Scientology courses. Foster completed the Scientology class, Basic Study Manual, at the Scientology Celebrity Center in 2005. Olivier was let go from her US$200,000 position, due to disagreements over teaching methodologies to utilize at the school. A representative for Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith told the New York Post, "Jacquie is no longer at the school for reasons entirely unrelated to curriculum. She is an excellent educator and fully embraced the school's secular and open-minded approach to innovative teaching methodologies." The New York Post reported that Olivier left the school, due to conflicts with the Smiths over the Scientology "Study Tech" teaching methodologies. Foster confirmed she had been placed as the new administrator for the school, and stated, "I officially took over on July 1, 2009, and I'm looking forward to the challenge. I feel I'm ready for the job." Suri Cruise began attending in April 2009. According to the The Smiths, the school has no religious affiliation.
- Delphi Schools
- Greenfields School
- Mace-Kingsley Ranch School
- Toronto Ability School
- World Literacy Crusade
- ^ a b Bien, Joan Trossman (2008-06-19). "Indian Hills seniors have hot time at graduation". Ventura County Star (Scripps Newspaper Group). http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/jun/19/class-of-2008-better-than-real-high-school-hills/. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ Bertholdo, Stephanie (2008-05-29). "Schools relocated". The Acorn (www.theacorn.com). http://www.theacorn.com/news/2008/0529/front_page/005.html. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ Aspen, Nelson (2008-05-18). "Will's Scientology School". Sunrise (Seven Network).
- ^ a b c d e f g Winter, Jana (2008-05-30). "Will Smith Funds Private Scientology School". Fox News (Fox News Network, LLC). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,360642,00.html. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ Friedman, Roger (2003-10-27). "Jacko Single Raising Funds for Scientology". Fox News (Fox News Network, LLC). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,101280,00.html. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Rivera, Carla (June 29, 2008). "Scientology link rouses worries at star's school". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-newvillage29-2008jun29,0,4115051.story. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- ^ Staff (May 2008). "Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith Open a Private School". Essence (Essence Communications Inc). http://www.essence.com/essence/themix/entertainment/0,16109,1809861,00.html. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- ^ a b Baclayon, Jovie (June 29, 2008). "Will and Jada Fund a New Elementary School". E! Online (E! Entertainment Television, Inc). http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b144656_will_jada_fund_new_elementary_school.html. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- ^ a b Staff (2008-07-01). "Will's school 'not Scientology centre'". Metro UK (Associated Newspapers Limited). http://www.metro.co.uk/fame/article.html?in_article_id=199102&in_page_id=7&in_a_source=. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ a b Dawar, Anil (2008-05-19). "Will Smith funds school teaching Scientology creator's study method". The Guardian (Guardian News and Media Limited). http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/19/usa.filmnews. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- ^ Kimball, Joshua (2008-07-03). "Will Smith-Funded School Raises Flags Over Scientology Ties". The Christian Post. http://www.christianpost.com/article/20080703/will-smith-funded-school-raises-flags-over-scientology-ties.htm. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Staff (2008-07-02). "Scientology sect claim just science fiction: Will Smith". The Australian.
- ^ Cohen, Sandy (Associated Press) (March 11, 2009). "Jada Pinkett Smith adds `schoolmaster' to resume". Seattle Post-Intelligencer.
- ^ Staff (2008-05-20). "Will Smith founds new 'Scientology school'". Scopical News (Scopical Pty Ltd). http://www.scopical.com.au/articles/Tech_Media/5798/Will-Smith-founds-new-%27Scientology-school%27. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- ^ Lee, Chris (2008-07-03). "Will Smith tries to stay in front of the Scientology curve". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2008-07-11. http://web.archive.org/web/20080711121952/http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-etw-smith3-2008jul03,0,3451808.story. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Staff (2008-07-01). "Actor Smith In Scientology Row: The head of Will Smith's new school has denied claims that it is a centre for Scientology". Sky News. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Will-Smith-Head-Of-Actors-New-School-Denies-It-Is-Scientology-Facility/Article/200807115018446?lpos=Showbiz%2BNews_2&lid=ARTICLE_15018446_Will%2BSmith%253A%2BHead%2BOf%2BActor%2527s%2BNew%2BSchool%2BDenies%2BIt%2BIs%2BScientology%2BFacility. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Tobin, Thomas C. (1998-09-09). "New school to use ideas of Scientology founder". St. Petersburg Times. http://www.sptimes.com/NorthPinellas/90998/New_school_to_use_ide.html. Retrieved 2008-06-25.
- ^ Friedman, Roger (2008-07-01). "Will Smith: Getting His $100 Goat". Fox News (Fox News Network, LLC). http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374861,00.html. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ "Jerome Bruner’s constructivist model and the spiral curriculum for teaching and learning". General Teaching Council for England. May 2006. http://www.gtce.org.uk/tla/rft/bruner0506/. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- ^ a b Downie, Heather (September 11, 2009). "What Goes on Inside Will Smith, Jada Pinkett-Smith's School? The New Village Leadership Academy Allegedly Mimics Some Scientology Teaching Methods". ABC News (ABC). http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/smiths-alleged-scientology-school/story?id=8331367. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- ^ Eisinger, Amy (2008-06-30). "Report: Will Smith's New Village Academy a Scientology front". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/06/30/2008-06-30_report_will_smiths_new_village_academy_a.html. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Staff (2008-07-01). "Scientology isn't in curriculum, chief of Will Smith school says". The Dallas Morning News. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-peo_0701gl.ART.State.Edition1.4d998de.html. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Ayres, Chris (2008-07-01). "Will Smith's school deserves to avoid cult status - LA Notebook: The actor must prove there is no Scientology link to his pet project". The Times (Times Newspapers Ltd). http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/chris_ayres/article4244531.ece. Retrieved 2008-07-12.
- ^ Staff (2008-01-22). "German Historian Compares Tom Cruise Speech to Nazi Minister". Deutsche Welle. www.dw-world.de. http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3083673,00.html?maca=en-domschule-en-germany-1204-rdf. Retrieved 2008-06-02.
- ^ Staff (2008-09-04). "Anti-Scientologists target Will Smith". The West Australian (West Australian Newspapers Limited).
- ^ Daily Express staff (August 6, 2009). "Smith Family Teacher Leaves School". Daily Express (Northern and Shell Media Publications). http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/118709/Smith-family-teacher-leaves-school. Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- ^ Radar Online staff (August 7, 2009). "Exclusive: Will & Jada New School Head’s Scientology Connection". Radar Online (Radar Online, LLC). http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/08/exclusive-will-jada-new-school-head-practiced-scientology. Retrieved 2009-09-11.
- ^ a b c "Scientology at Smith school?". New York Post: p. 12. August 9, 2009.
- ^ Friedman, Roger (September 18, 2009). "Will Smith Gives $70,000 to Scientology Groups: Exclusive". The Hollywood Reporter.
- ^ "Smith family teacher leaves school". World Entertainment News Network (England: Comtex). August 6, 2009.
- ^ "Smith family teacher leaves school". New! magazine (Northern and Shell Media Publications.). August 6, 2009. http://www.new-magazine.co.uk/latestnews/view/12205/Smith-family-teacher-leaves-school/. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- ^ "Suri Cruise off to Scientology school". Herald Sun (Melbourne, Australia: Nationwide News Pty Limited): p. 17. April 13, 2009.
- ^ "Will Smith sacks Scientology teacher". Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney, Australia). August 7, 2009. http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/people/will-smith-sacks-scientology-teacher-20090807-ec1k.html. Retrieved 2010-06-09.
- New Village Academy, official website
- Church of Scientology International. "L. Ron Hubbard: Study Technology". http://www.studytechnology.org/.
- Touretzky, David S. "Scientology v. Education". http://www.studytech.org/home.php.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Leadership studies — is a multidisciplinary academic field of study that focuses on leadership in organizational contexts and in human life. Leadership studies has origins in the social sciences (e.g., sociology, anthropology, psychology), in humanities (e.g.,… … Wikipedia
New Birth of Freedom Council — Owner … Wikipedia
New Orleans Public Schools — Seal of the Orleans Parish School Board New Orleans Public Schools (NOPS) is a public school system that serves all of New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. Schools within the system are governed by a multitude of entities, including the Orleans … Wikipedia
NEW YORK CITY — NEW YORK CITY, foremost city of the Western Hemisphere and largest urban Jewish community in history; pop. 7,771,730 (1970), est. Jewish pop. 1,836,000 (1968); metropolitan area 11,448,480 (1970), metropolitan area Jewish (1968), 2,381,000… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
New York — New Yorker. 1. Also called New York State. a state in the NE United States. 17,557,288; 49,576 sq. mi. (128,400 sq. km). Cap.: Albany. Abbr.: NY (for use with zip code), N.Y. 2. Also called New York City. a seaport in SE New York at the mouth of… … Universalium
New Brighton, Minnesota — City Loc … Wikipedia
New Harmony, Indiana — Town Location in the state of … Wikipedia
New York Foundation — Founder(s) Alfred Heinsheimer, Edward Henderson, Jacob H. Schiff, Isaac Newton Seligman, and Paul Warburg Founded 1909 Location New York, New York, United States … Wikipedia
New Haven, Connecticut — New Haven redirects here. For other uses, see New Haven (disambiguation). City of New Haven City Skyline of Downtown New Haven … Wikipedia
New York University — Coordinates: 40°43′48″N 73°59′42″W / 40.73°N 73.995°W / 40.73; 73.995 … Wikipedia