- New Fist of the North Star
New Fist of the North Star
Cover artwork of ADV Films' box set edition.
(Shin Hokuto no Ken)
Genre Action, Violence Novel Fist of the North Star: The Cursed City Written by Buronson Illustrated by Tetsuo Hara Published by Shueisha Imprint Jump J Books Published December 18, 1996 Original video animation Directed by Takashi Watanabe Written by Nobuhiko Horie Music by Yasuharu Takanashi Studio A.C.G.T Released July 24, 2003 – May 28, 2004 Episodes 3
New Fist of the North Star (新・北斗の拳 Shin Hokuto no Ken ) is a three-episode anime OVA series based on the Fist of the North Star franchise, directed by Takeshi Watanabe and produced by OB Planning. The story was adapted from Jubaku no Machi (-呪縛の街-, "The Cursed City"), a 1996 Hokuto no Ken novel written by Buronson and Tetsuo Hara set sometime after the conclusion of the original manga. An English dubbed version of the OVA was produced by ADV Films in 2004.
In the 21st century, a nuclear war turned most of the Earth's surface into a desert wasteland, which also resulted in the contamination of the Earth's water supply. A man named Sanga has built the fortified haven of the "Last Land", where he rules as its dictator by monopolizing the city's uncontaminated water supply. When he learns that the neighboring residents of Freedom Village are trying to dig up a well for their own, Sanga sends his underlings to sabotage their effort. Kenshiro, master of Hokuto Shinken, gets involved in the conflict between the two regions after saving Tobi, an informant hired by Freedom Village.
- Kenshiro (ケンシロウ Kenshirō )
- Voiced by: Takehito Koyasu (Japanese), Robert Kraft (English)
- The successor of the assassin's art of Hokuto Shinken. He gets involved in the conflict between Last Land and Freedom Village after saving Tobi.
- Tobi (トビ)
- Voiced by: Akimitsu Takase (Japanese), Christopher Loveless (English)
- A wandering adventurer known for his intelligent service to the people, rescued by Kenshiro when the Sanga's scouting party ambushed him and other villagers searching for water. Tobi was searching his brother Bista while travelling town to town, has a secret crush on Sarah. Later on he incited a religious Jihad in the Lastland using his brotherly connection with Bista, later on he fell corrupted with power that led to his downfall.
- Bista (ビスタ Bisuta ), aka Doha (ドーハ Dōha )
- Voiced by: Romi Park (Japanese), Korey Simeone (English)
- Tobi's little brother known for his illusion and parlour magic also was suffering from amnesia, he was taken by Sanga as a tool for fooling the common people in Lastland as a God. His amnesia was healed by Sarah through acupressure, was remained seriously wounded throughout the OVA.
- Sara (サーラ Sāra )
- Voiced by: Yurika Hino (Japanese), Katie Gillette (English)
- A kind hearted female healer in Freedom Village where she heals people with a passed down knowledge of Hokumon no Ken through her parents. She uses a healing art which utilizes the body's keiraku hikō points to heal her patients. Her life was saved by Seiji in the past when attacked by a feral dog.
- Sanga (サンガ)
- Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka (Japanese), John Paul Shephard (English)
- The dictator of the city Last Land, known for being manipulative and ambitious. He was killed by Kenshiro towards the end of first episode. He was cruel and hard towards his own son Seiji, but later revealed that he did that because he loved Seiji and wanted him to become stronger in this harsh wasteland.
- Seiji (セイジ)
- Voiced by: Gackt (Japanese), Adam Dudley (English)
- A dropout of the Hokumon temple, who has a love hate relationship with his father Sanga. He took over Lastland while Kenshiro was away to Hokumon temple get medicine for Bista. It was revealed that he learned all the secret of Hokumon No Ken in less than three years. Committed suicide by pressing a fatal point in his body after ridden with guilt over his past crime.
- Toki (トキ)
- Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka
- The second of Kenshiro's eldest brothers, who intended to use Hokuto Shinken as a healing art. Appears in a flashback during the first episode of the OVA.
- Ryu (リュウ Ryū )
- The orphaned son of Raoh, whom Kenshiro intends to train as his Hokuto Shinken successor. Appears in a flashback during the first episode.
EP# Title Original release English release 1 "The Cursed City!"
"Jubaku no Machi" (呪縛の街)
2003-07-04 2004-09-24 2 "The Forbidden Fist"
"Kinjirareta Kobushi" (禁じられた拳)
2003-10-23 2004-11-02 3 "When a Man Carries Sorrow"
"Otoko ga Kanashimi o Seou Toki" (男が悲しみを背負うとき)
The ADV Films' dub of the trilogy has garnered positive reviews from critics. Chris Wood of Toon Zone praised "Kenshiro is in fine form, and though the story may not blow you away, it’s plenty adequate to support the action" Mike Toole of Anime Jump says that New Fist is "flashy and a little cheap, but ultimately rewarding." Chris Beveridge of AnimeOnDVD.com was "very pleased with" the first episode, but felt that the second episode could have been "much better written" and that the third episode was unnecessary and that the trilogy "could have been a lot tighter with a bit more streamlining of the script".
- ^ Buronson; Hara, Tetsuo (December 1996). Tobisha. ed (in Japanese). 北斗の拳 -呪縛の街- (Hokuto no Ken: Jubaku no Machi). Shueisha. ISBN 4-08-703054-7.
- ^ ""New Fist of the North Star": My Mind Is Already Blown (Review from Toon Zone)". http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=345. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- ^ "Anime Jump review of New Fist of the North Star". Archived from the original on 2007-09-26. http://web.archive.org/web/20070926230036/http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=573. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- ^ "AnimeOnDVD.com >> Disc Reviews >> New Fist of the North Star Vol. #1 (also w/box)". http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3249.php. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- ^ "AnimeOnDVD.com >> Disc Reviews >> New Fist of the North Star Vol. #2". http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3514.php. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- ^ "AnimeOnDVD.com >> Disc Reviews >> New Fist of the North Star Vol. #3". http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/3559.php. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Shin Hokuto no Ken at OB Planning (Japanese)
- New Fist of the North Star at ADV Films
- New Fist of the North Star (anime) at Anime News Network's Encyclopedia
Fist of the North Star by Buronson and Tetsuo Hara Franchise Films and OVAs1986 animated film • 1995 live-action film • New Fist of the North Star • The Legends of the True Savior Related works Video games
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Fist of the North Star — (jap. 北斗の拳}, Hokuto no Ken) ist ein Manga des japanischen Zeichners Tetsuo Hara und des Autors Buronson, der von 1983 bis 1988 in Japan erschien. Das Werk wurde in mehreren Animes und weiteren Mangas adaptiert und fortgesetzt. Der Manga lässt… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fist of the North Star — Кулак Полярной Звезды … Википедия
List of fighting styles in Fist of the North Star — The following is a list of fictional fighting styles in the manga and anime series Fist of the North Star by Buronson and Tetsuo Hara. Many of the characters from the Fist of the North Star manga are trained in numerous fictional styles… … Wikipedia
List of Fist of the North Star characters — Opening page of chapter 209 of the Hokuto no Ken manga, which depicts Kenshiro confronting Kaioh, as images of past rivals are shown at the background. From left to right: Raoh, Thouzer, Shin, Rei, Toki, and Shu. The following is a list of… … Wikipedia
Fist of the Blue Sky — Infobox animanga/Header name = Fist of the Blue Sky caption = Volume 1 cover ja name = 蒼天の拳 ja name trans = Sōten no Ken genre = Historical fiction, Action, DramaInfobox animanga/Manga title = author = Tetsuo Hara, Nobuhiko Horie publisher =… … Wikipedia
North Star (disambiguation) — Contents 1 Places 2 Newspapers 3 Transportation 4 Enterta … Wikipedia
The Ha-Ha Brothers — The Ha Ha Brothers: nihongo|Kazuki Jūmonji|十文字 一輝|Jūmonji Kazuki, nihongo|Koji Kuroki|黒木 浩二|Kuroki Kōji and nihongo|Shozo Togano|戸叶 庄三|Toganō Shōzō, are fictional characters of Eyeshield 21 . Though constantly re affirming that they are not… … Wikipedia
The Big Boss — This article refers to The Big Boss, a film starring Bruce Lee. For other uses, see Big Boss. Infobox Film name = The Big Boss caption = The Hong Kong movie poster. director = Lo Wei producer = Raymond Chow eproducer = aproducer = writer = Bruce… … Wikipedia
The Master (TV series) — The Master Genre Action adventure Created by Michael Sloan Written by Tom Sawyer Michael Sloan Susan Woollen Directed by Ray Austin Ray Aystub Michael Caffee Peter Cran … Wikipedia
The Legend of the Condor Heroes — The Legend of Condor Heroes (zh tsp|t=射鵰英雄傳|s=射雕英雄传|p=shè diāo yīng xióng zhuàn) is one of the most acclaimed wuxia novels by Jinyong, first published in 1957 in Hong Kong Commercial Daily . This is the first novel of the Condor Trilogy . The… … Wikipedia