- Great Basin Desert
Great Basin Desert DesertThe Great Basin Desert is generally within the Great Basin, except for a few areas outside of the Great Basin in south central Utah and east central Nevada. Country United States Counties Nevada (rain + snow)
- Churchill (5+6 in/yr)
- Clark* (5+2)
- Esmeralda (3+tbd)
- Lincoln* (3+tbd)
- Mineral (5+7)
- Nye* (5+3)
- Pershing (7+8)
- Millard (7+24 in/yr)
*partly in the Mojave Desert
Part of North American Desert ecoregion Borders on Escalante Desert (east)
Mojave Desert (south)
Area 39,505 sq mi (102,317 km2) (county areas, but only 5/6 of Nye, 1/10 of Clark, & 1/34 of Lincoln -- the remainders are in the Mojave)
The Great Basin Desert is an area of nearctic high deserts across parts of Nevada, California, and Utah that extends into the Colorado River watershed (Clark & Lincoln counties on the southeast), but which is mostly a portion of the central Nevada desert basins of the much larger Great Basin. The predominant flora are mostly of the Atriplex genus (lowest elevations) and sagebrush (higher) (shadscale is also common). Parts of the area have a cold desert climate, particularly where the ranges provide rain shadow for the northern basins/valleys.
Great Basin Province
The Great Basin Province is a region of the Boreal Subkingdom that generally corresponds to the Central Basin and Range ecoregion and the Great Basin physiographic section. The province includes deserts with <10 in (250 mm) annual precipitation and non-desert areas, and the former include numerous small, unnamed salt deserts of the Central Basin and Range. The largest deserts of the Great Basin Province are Utah's Great Salt Lake Desert (4,000 sq mi) and Escalante Desert (3,270 sq mi).
Nevada salt deserts
The Nevada salt deserts are 19 Central Basin and Range ecoregions in Nevada's portion of the Great Basin Province. The salt deserts are within an area from 41°N to 37.5°N and are generally surrounded by Shadscale-Dominated Saline Basins. Found typically in low valleys, the largest occupies most of the Goshute Valley which is ~700 sq mi (1,800 km2), and the smallest is south of the Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge and is approximately 1/20th the size of the largest.
- ^ "Best Places to Live...Nevada". BestPlaces.net. http://www.google.com/#q=%22County,+NV,+gets%22+%22inches+of+rain+per+year%22&hl=en&filter=0. "County, NV, gets...inches of rain per year" Utah
- ^ "Esmeralda: Description of the County". Resource Concepts, Inc.. http://www.rci-nv.com/reports/esmeralda/section03.html. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- ^ tbd. "Ecoregions of North America". USGS Western Ecology Division. http://www.epa.gov/wed/pages/ecoregions/na_eco.htm#Level%20I. Retrieved 2010-04-27.
- ^ "Sum of County Areas of the Great Basin Desert: Churchill, Clark, Esmeralda, Lyon, Mineral, Nye, Pershing, Millard (UT), and Lincoln" (Google Calculator). http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=4929%2B4929%2B791%2B3589%2F2%2B1994%2B1994%2B15123%2B6009%2B6590%2B313. Retrieved 2010-04-25.
- ^ Trimble, Stephen (1999). The Sagebrush Ocean: A Natural History of the Great Basin. ISBN 0874173434. http://www.stephentrimble.net/books/Preface%20without%20notes.ASP. Retrieved 2010-01-13.
- ^ a b Lentz, David L. (editor). Imperfect Balance: Landscape Transformations in the Precolumbian Americas. ISBN 0-231-11156x-x. http://books.google.com/books?id=JsuiJEwOIJUC&pg=PA50. Retrieved 2010-09-06. "The southern border of the Great Basin Province is marked by the replacement of sagebrush by Larrea and Ambrosia (creosote bush and ragweed) … floras of arid regions [within the Madrean Subkingdom] are excluded and treated with either the Boreal Subkingdom (Great Basin Province) or with the Neotropical Kingdom (Mexican Xerophylic [Sonoran] Region)."
- ^ a b Bryce, S.A; et. al, Ecoregions of Nevada, Reston, Virginia: USGS NOTE: The poster depicts the CA northern point of the Mojave Basin & Range ecoregion at pixels 453 horizontal & 1151 vertical (interpolates to 37.28N,117.71W in the Last Chance Range, N of Sulfur Rd).
World deserts Africa Asia
- Aral Karakum
- Badain Jaran
- Dasht-e Kavir
- Dasht-e Lut
- Dasht-e Margoh
- Dasht-e Naomid
- Indus Valley
- Kyzyl Kum
- Rub' al Khali
- Russian Arctic
- Ustyurt Plateau
- Wahiba Sands
Europe North America
- Baja California
- Black Rock
- Channeled scablands
- Forty Mile
- Gran Desierto de Altar
- Great Basin
- Great Salt Lake
- Great Sandy
- Jornada del Muerto
- North American Arctic
- Painted Desert
- Red Desert
- Smoke Creek
- Tule (Arizona)
- Tule (Nevada)
Australia South America Polar regions New Zealand
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Great Sandy Desert — 1. a desert in NW Australia, ab. 300 mi. (485 km) long; 500 mi. (800 km) wide; ab. 160,000 sq. mi. (414,400 sq. km). 2. See Rub al Khali. * * * Wasteland, northern Western Australia. It extends from Eighty Mile Beach on the Indian Ocean eastward… … Universalium
Great Basin — The Great Basin is a large, arid region of the western United States. Its boundaries depend on how it is defined. Its most common definition is the contiguous watershed, roughly between the Wasatch Mountains, in Utah and the Sierra Nevada, that… … Wikipedia
Great Basin — Nordamerikanische Wasserscheiden (Großes Becken orange markiert) verschiedene Definitionen des Großen Beckens Das Große Becken (engl. Great Basin) ist eine trocke … Deutsch Wikipedia
Great Basin — a region in the Western U.S. that has no drainage to the ocean: includes most of Nevada and parts of Utah, California, Oregon, and Idaho. 210,000 sq. mi. (544,000 sq. km). * * * ▪ region, United States also called Great Basin Desert distinctive … Universalium
Great Basin Indian — ▪ people Introduction member of any of the indigenous North American peoples inhabiting the traditional culture area comprising almost all of the present day states of Utah and Nevada as well as substantial portions of Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming,… … Universalium
Great Basin tribes — The Great Basin tribes of Native Americans occupied an area of some 400,000 mile² (1,000,000 km²), between the Rocky Mountains and the Sierra Nevada, in what is now Nevada, and parts of Oregon, California, Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah. There is very… … Wikipedia
Great Basin National Park — Infobox protected area name = Great Basin National Park iucn category = II caption = locator x = locator y = location = White Pine County, Nevada, USA nearest city = Ely, Baker, Border lat degrees = 38 lat minutes = 59 lat seconds = 0 lat… … Wikipedia
Great Basin — Grand Bassin (Amérique) Désert du Grand Bassin Le Grand Bassin (Great Basin en anglais) est un désert. C est une région de montagnes, de bassins sédimentaires et de hauts plateaux de l ouest des États Unis. La région offre une grande variété de… … Wikipédia en Français
Great Basin Spadefoot — Taxobox name = Great Basin Spadefoot status = LC | status system = IUCN3.1 regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Amphibia ordo = Anura familia = Scaphiopodidae genus = Spea species = S. intermontana binomial = Spea intermontana binomial… … Wikipedia
Great Basin National Park — Parc national du Grand Bassin Parc national du Grand Bassin Nom Parc national Emplacement … Wikipédia en Français