- Neil Cooper (drummer)
Neil Cooper onstage with Therapy? at Rock For People Festival, Czech Republic on 5 July 2009
Courtesy: Kati Haapala
Background information Birth name Neil Cooper Born 1 August 1973
Genres Alternative metal
Occupations Musician Instruments Drums Years active 1988–present Labels Demolition Records, Stressed Sumo Records Associated acts Therapy?, The Beyond, Cable, Gorilla
Neil Cooper (born 1 August 1973, Derby, England) is best known as the current drummer with Therapy?, a hard rock band from Northern Ireland, and formerly of The Beyond, a hard rock band from England.
Cooper was a founding member of The Beyond in 1988. The band signed with EMI Records and released two albums, entitled Crawl and Chasm, the latter being recorded in New York with Jim Thirlwell. The band toured throughout the UK, Europe and US with Therapy?, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Soundgarden and Living Colour.
The Beyond disbanded in 1993, after which Cooper joined Cable. The band signed to Infectious Records and Cooper appeared on their debut album Downlift the Uptrodden. He also played on both of their John Peel sessions and toured the UK and Europe with Ash, Girls Against Boys, Boss Hog and Oasis.
In 1995, however, Cooper re-joined his old bandmates from The Beyond in a new group called Gorilla. In 1998, following the release of several EPs, the group disbanded.
Cooper, by now operating freelance, had a stint with bigbeat combo Psychedeliasmith, and worked with Fatboy Slim. Cooper also gained his Certificate in Teaching from the Royal Schools of Music in 2001, the same year as he co-founded a Derby based record label called Stressed Sumo Records.
Cooper joined Therapy? in 2002, following the departure of Graham Hopkins. His first live performance with Therapy? took place at the Carvicais Rock Festival in Portugal on 10 August that year. It followed one rehearsal in which he had to learn the full sixteen song set. Cooper has since played on the band's last four studio albums – High Anxiety, Never Apologise Never Explain, One Cure Fits All and Crooked Timber.
Whenever he is not touring or otherwise busy with Therapy?, Cooper provides drum lessons. He teaches at Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School (QEGS), Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
- Manic Sound Panic (1990 EP)
- No Excuse (1990 EP)
- Crawl (1991 album)
- "One Step Too Far" (1991 single)
- "Empire" (1991 single)
- Raging (1991 EP)
- Chasm (1993 album)
- "Sale Of The Century" (1994 single)
- "Seventy" (1995 single)
- "Blindman" (1995 single)
- "Seventy" (1996 single)
- Downlift The Uptrodden (1996 album)
- Extended Play (1995 EP)
- Shutdown (1995 EP)
- "Who Wants To Save The World Anyway?" (1997 single)
- "Outside" (1998 single)
- High Anxiety (2003 album)
- "If It Kills Me" / "Rust" (2003 single)
- "My Voodoo Doll" (2003 single)
- Scopophobia (2003 DVD)
- Never Apologise Never Explain (2004 album)
- "Polar Bear" / "Rock You Monkeys" (2005 single)
- One Cure Fits All (2006 album)
- Rain Hits Concrete (2006 EP)
- Webgig (2007 live studio download)
- Crooked Timber (2009 album)
- "Crooked Timber" (2009 single)
- "Exiles" (2010 single)
- We're Here To The End (2010 live album)
Information source: Rhythm Magazine, March 2011
- Mapex Orion 12" tom
- Mapex Orion 13" tom
- Mapex Orion 16" floor tom
- Mapex Orion 22" x 20" bass drum
- Pearl Brass 14" x 6.5" Free Floating snare
- Ludwig 14" x 5" Black Beauty
- Mapex Black Panther 14" x 3.5" Brass Picolo
- Paiste 14" 2002 Wild hi-hats
- Paiste 17" Signature Reflector Heavy Full crash
- Paiste 18" Signature Reflector Heavy Full crash
- Paiste 20" 2002 Power crash
- Paiste 20" 2002 Heavy ride
- Paiste 20" 2002 China
- Vic Firth Extreme 5A sticks
- ^ "Neil Cooper Therapy? Biography". http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/biography/neil/.
- ^ "Neil Cooper profile on Mapex". http://www.mapex.co.uk/artists/neil-cooper/.
- ^ "Gorilla Myspace page". http://www.myspace.com/shutdowngorilla.
- ^ "Therapy? Official Page Q&A". http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/biography/neil/.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neil Cooper — can refer to: Neil Cooper (drummer) (born 1973), drummer who has played for Therapy? and other bands Neil Cooper (footballer) (born 1959), Scottish football player and manager Neil Cooper (ROIR) (born 1930), founder of record company ROIR… … Wikipedia
Neil Murray (British musician) — Neil Murray Birth name Philip Neil Murray Born 27 August 1950 (1950 08 27) (age 61) Edinburgh, Scotland Genres Hard rock, blues rock, heavy metal … Wikipedia
Neil Turbin — Background information Birth name Neil Turbin Born December 24, 1963 (1963 12 24 … Wikipedia
Neil Smith — or Neal Smith may refer to: Sports Neil Smith (American football) (born 1966), former football player in the National Football League Neil Smith (cricketer, born 1967), English cricketer Neil Smith (cricketer, born 1949) (1949–2003), first class… … Wikipedia
Alice Cooper — Cooper at the Scream Awards, 2007 Background information Birth name Vincent Damon Furnier Born … Wikipedia
Mike Cooper (musician) — Infobox Musical artist | Img size = 150 Name = Mike Cooper Background = solo singer Birth name = Michael Cooper Alias = Born = 1942 Died = Origin = Flagicon|England Reading, Berkshire Instrument = Genre = Blues Occupation = Musician, Songwriter,… … Wikipedia
List of Canadian musicians — This is a list of Canadian musicians. Only individuals appear here; bands are listed at List of bands from Canada.ee also* Music of Canada * List of famous Canadians * List of bands from Canada compactTOC NOTOC A*Lee Aaron – jazz and rock singer… … Wikipedia
Kiss (band) — Infobox musical artist | Name = Kiss Img capt = Kiss onstage in 2004 l r: Gene Simmons, Tommy Thayer, Paul Stanley and Eric Singer. Img size = 250 Landscape = yes Background = group or band Origin = New York City, New York, United States Years… … Wikipedia
The Beyond (band) — Infobox musical artist Name = The Beyond Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Gorilla Origin = Derby, England, United Kingdom Genre = Progressive metal Years active = 1988 mdash; 1998 Label = Big Cat Records, EMI,… … Wikipedia
Cable (British band) — Infobox musical artist 2 Name = Cable Img capt = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Derby, England Genre = Alternative Years active = early 1990s 1999 Label = Krunch! Records (199? 199?) Infectious (1995 1999)Cable were a British… … Wikipedia