- Neighborhoods of Pune
Until the mid-1970s, the city of Pune mainly consisted of Central and Inner Pune City. Since then, Pune has seen rapid and continued growth in terms of population and area, and many erstwhile villages surrounding the city, such as Baner and Warje, have become suburbs.
The city of Pune can be divided into the following zones:
- Central Pune: consisting of roughly seventeen peths, or neighborhoods. These were established and developed during the Maratha and Peshwa rule, and are referred to as the old city.
- Inner Pune: consisting of Deccan Gymkhana, Erandwane and Shivajinagar in the west, Camp, Dhole-Patil Road, and Koregaon Park in the east, and Swargate, Parvati, Mukundnagar, Maharshinagar, Gultekdi, and Salisbury Park in the South. On the north, the inner city is bounded by the Mula-Mutha river.
- Outer Pune: including the newer developed areas of Khadki, Aundh and Ganeshkhind in the northwest, Kothrud and Paud Road in the west, Dattawadi, Sahakarnagar and Dhankawadi in the southwest, Bibvewadi, Lullanagar, and Upper Kondhwa in the southeast, Ghorpadi, Fatimanagar, Wanowrie and Hadapsar South in the east, and Vishrantwadi in the north.
- Suburbs: including Baner and Pashan in the northwest, Bavdhan and Warje in the west, Wadgaon Budruk, Dhayari and Ambegaon in the southwest, Katraj, Lower Kondhwa, Undri and Mohammedwadi in the southeast, Hadapsar North, Mundhwa, and Manjri in the east, Wadgaon Sheri and Kharadi in the northeast, and Dhanori and Kalas in the north.
The Pune metropolitan area also includes the following areas, located roughly to the northwest of Pune city. These are administered by the Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation.
- Pimpri and its surroundings: Chikhli, Kalewadi, Kasarwadi, Phugewadi, and PimpleSaudagar.
- Chinchwad and its surroundings: Thergaon, Tathawade, and Talawade.
- Sangvi and its surroundings: Dapodi, Wakad, Hinjawadi, Pimple Nilakh, and Pimple Gurav.
- Bhosari and its surroundings: Moshi, Dighi, Dudulgaon, and Charholi Budruk.
- Nigdi and its surroundings: Nigdi Pradhikaran, Ravet, and Akurdi.
Pune topics History Civic LandmarksBuildingsTemplesMuseumsRaja Dinkar Kelkar Museum · Mahatma Phule Museum · Babasaheb Ambedkar Museum · Pune Tribal Museum · National War MuseumParks and ZoosOthersNew Katraj Tunnel · Old Katraj Tunnel · Katraj Ghat Economy TransportAirRailPune Railway Station · Pune Suburban Service · Shivajinagar Station · Khadki Station · Ahmedabad - Mumbai - Pune Bullet train *RoadMumbai-Pune Expressway · Old Pune-Mumbai Highway · Pune Station Bus Stand · Swargate Bus Stand · Shivajinagar Bus Stand · Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation · Ring Road †Internal RoadsMumbai-Bangalore NH 4 · Pune-Nashik NH 50 · Pune-Solapur (Part of NH 9) · Karve Road · F C Road · J M Road · Tilak Road · M G Road · Laxmi Road · Sinhgad Road · Pune-Paud · Law College Road · Canal Road · Chhatrapati Shivaji Road · Bajirao Road Culture EducationCollege of Engineering · National Defence Academy · Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute · Fergusson College · University of Pune · Film and Television Institute of India · Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics · Symbiosis Institute of Business Management · Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies · Pune Institute of Computer Technology · National Chemical Laboratory · Deccan College · Armed Forces Medical College · Bharti Vidyapeeth · Law college · SportsEventsTeamsVenues GeographyHills and MountainsVetal Hill (Hanuman Tekdi) · Fergussen Hill · Parvati Hill · Baner Hill · Sutarwadi Hill · Katraj Hill · Ramtekdi · GultekdiWater Bodies City AreasInner PuneOuter PunePune City Suburbs
- Planned · † Under construction
Pimpri-Chinchwad AreasPimpri and surroundingsChinchwad and SurroundingsChinchwad · Thergaon · Tathawade · Talawade · Sahu NagarSangvi and surroundingsBhosari and surroundingsNigdi - Akurdi and surroundings CivicPimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation · Pune Metropolitan Area TransportAirRailLocal Trains · Chinchwad Railway Station · Pimpri Railway StationRoadPimpri-Chinchwad Bus Stand · Maharashtra State Road Transport CorporationInternal GeographyHills and MountainsWater BodiesPavana River Neighboring Villages Military SportsPCMC Hockey Stadium
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pune Neighborhoods — Until the mid 1970s, the city of Pune mainly consisted of the central peths, or localities. Since then, Pune has seen rapid and continued growth in terms of population and area, and many erstwhile villages surrounding the city, such as Baner and… … Wikipedia
Peths in Pune — Peth is a general term, in the Marathi language, for a locality in the Indian city of Pune. Up to seventeen peths are located in central Pune, and were mostly established during Maratha and Peshwa rule in the 17th 19th century AD. Seven of them… … Wikipedia
Magarpatta — City of Magarpatta, Pune Magarpatta Township Neighbourhood / City Magarpatta City Tower 11 and 12 as seen from Aditi Garden … Wikipedia
Ethnic cleansing — is a euphemism referring to the persecution through imprisonment, expulsion, or killing of members of an ethnic minority by a majority to achieve ethnic homogeneity in majority controlled territory. [ [http://www.merriam… … Wikipedia
Indira Gandhi International Airport — इन्दिरा गाँधी अंतर्राष्ट्रीय हवाई अड्डा … Wikipedia
Sinhgad College of Engineering — Infobox University name = Sinhgad College of Engineering image size = 200px motto = तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय Lead me from darkness to light (motto of the STES as a whole) established = 1996 staff = president = Prof. M. N. Navale principal = Prof. A. S … Wikipedia
Delhi — This article is about the National Capital Territory of India. For the capital city of India, see New Delhi. For other uses, see Delhi (disambiguation). Delhi दिल्ली … Wikipedia
Miyapur — Township … Wikipedia
Aurangabad Airport — Chikkalthana Airport औरंगाबाद विमानतळ IATA: IXU – ICAO: VAAU … Wikipedia
Badlapur — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name=Badlapur type=suburb metro=mumbai other name= distance 1=67 |direction 1=SW |destination 1=Mumbai mode 1=rail distance 2=44 |direction 2=West |destination 2=Navi Mumbai mode 2=road distance 3=125 |direction … Wikipedia