- Iranian nationality law
Iranian nationality law contains principles of both jus sanguinis and jus soli. Children acquire nationality of Iran through their fathers, but not their mothers. The full nationality law is defined in Book 2 of the Civil Code of Iran, Articles 976 through 991.
Definition of Iranian nationals
Article 976 of the Civil Code of Iran defines who is an Iranian national:
- All persons residing in Iran except those whose foreign nationality is established; the foreign nationality of such persons is considered to be established if their documents of nationality have not been objected to by the Iranian Government.
- Those born in Iran or outside whose fathers are Iranian.
- Those born in Iran of unknown parentage.
- Persons born in Iran of foreign parents, one of whom was also born in Iran.
- Persons born in Iran of a father of foreign nationality who have resided at least one more year in Iran immediately after reaching the full age of 18; in other cases their naturalization as Iranian subjects will be subject to the stipulations for Iranian naturalization laid down by the law.
- Every woman of foreign nationality who marries an Iranian husband.
- Every foreign national who has obtained Iranian nationality.
Article 977 of the Civil Code of Iran deals with multiple citizenship. As a consequence of Paragraphs 4 or 5 of Article 976, some Iranian minors may have multiple citizenship. If they wish to retain the non-Iranian nationality after age 18, they have to inform Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Birth Registration in Iran: An analysis of the state of relevant laws in Iran, Iran Information Series, UNICEF, 2005, http://www.unicef.org/iran/IRN_resources_BR_eng-word.pdf, retrieved 2009-10-20
- Civil Code of Iran (last amended 1985), Refworld, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, 2009, http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/country,,NATLEGBOD,,IRN,,3ae6b5a68,0.html, retrieved 2009-10-20
Nationality laws (category) By continentAfricaAsiaOceaniaEuropeAndorra · Austria · Belarus · Belgium · Bulgaria · Croatia · Czech Republic · Denmark · Estonia · Finland · France · Germany · Greece · Hungary · Iceland · Ireland · Italy · Kazakhstan · Latvia · Lithuania · Luxembourg · Macedonia · Malta · Moldova · Monaco · Montenegro · Norway · Netherlands · Poland · Portugal · Romania · Russia · Serbia · Slovakia · Slovenia · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland · Ukraine · United KingdomNorth AmericaSouth AmericaInternational
By type Other Defunct Notes
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Japanese nationality law — Japanese nationality is a legal designation and set of rights granted to those people who have met the federal criteria for citizenship by parentage or by naturalization. Nationality is in the jurisdiction of the Minister of Justice and is… … Wikipedia
Canadian nationality law — Immigration to Canada This article is part of a series Topics Canadians … Wikipedia
Law, Crime, and Law Enforcement — ▪ 2006 Introduction Trials of former heads of state, U.S. Supreme Court rulings on eminent domain and the death penalty, and high profile cases against former executives of large corporations were leading legal and criminal issues in 2005.… … Universalium
Nationality Rooms — Coordinates: 40°26′40″N 79°57′12″W / 40.444426°N 79.953423°W / 40.444426; 79.953423 … Wikipedia
international law — the body of rules that nations generally recognize as binding in their conduct toward one another. Also called law of nations. Cf. private international law, public international law. [1830 40] * * * Body of legal rules, norms, and standards that … Universalium
Anti-Iranian sentiment — (ایرانی ستیزی also ایران ستیزی) refers to feelings of hostility, hatred, or prejudice towards Iran, its citizens, or Iranian peoples.By Arabs Ajam According to Encyclopedia Iranica, the word ajam , in Arabic is applied especially to Persians and… … Wikipedia
Timeline of space travel by nationality — Since the first human spaceflight by the Soviet Union, citizens of 39 countries have flown in space. For each nationality, the launch date of the first mission is listed. The list is based on the nationality of the person at the time of the… … Wikipedia
List of contemporary Iranian scientists, scholars, and engineers — The following is a notable Iranian scholars, scientists and engineers around the world from the modern era. Contents: Top · 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z This is an incomplete list, which may never be … Wikipedia
History of Ukrainian nationality — The history of Ukrainian nationality can be traced back the Kiev based kingdom of Kievan Rus (Kиïвcκa Pуc) of the 9th to 12th centuries. It was the predecessor state to what would eventually become the Eastern Slavic nations of Belarus, Russia,… … Wikipedia
History of fundamentalist Islam in Iran — The islam in Iran (or History of Principle ism ) covers the history of Islamic revivalism and the rise of political Islam in modern Iran. Today, there are basically three types of Islam in Iran: traditionalism, modernism, and a variety of forms… … Wikipedia