- National Language Day
On August 27, 1989, the Popular Front of Moldova organized a mass demonstration in Chişinău, that became known as the Great National Assembly, which pressured the authorities of the Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic to adopt a language law on August 31, 1989 that proclaimed the Moldovan language written in the Latin script to be the state language of the MSSR. Its identity with the Romanian language was also established. On June 23, 1990 Moldovan Parliament establishe the day of August 31 as a National Language Day.
In the main square of Chişinău a concert is organized featuring the performances of various national entertainers. Normally the stage is not dismantled since Independence Day which takes place on August 27th.
- ^ Lonely Planet, Moldova Work & study
- ^ On 31 August Moldova celebrates the Language Day
- ^ List of Moldovan Holidays
- ^ (Romanian) Horia C. Matei, "State lumii. Enciclopedie de istorie." Meronia, Bucureşti, 2006, p. 292-294
- ^ Legea cu privire la functionarea limbilor vorbite pe teritoriul RSS Moldovenesti Nr.3465-XI din 01.09.89 Vestile nr.9/217, 1989 (Law regarding the usage of languages spoken on the territory of the Republic of Moldova): "Moldavian SSR supports the desire of the Moldovans that live across the borders of the Republic, and considering the existing linguistic Moldo-Romanian identity — of the Romanians that live on the territory of the USSR, of doing their studies and satisfying their cultural needs in their native language."
- ^ 
- ^ Limba Noastra (end of August) – Language Day
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Acadian Day — in 1909, Shediac, New Brunswick Celebr … Wikipedia
National Grandparents Day — Observed by various countries Type National Date First Sunday after Labor Day ( USA) … Wikipedia
National Signing Day — most commonly refers to a day in February, usually on the first Wednesday of that month, which is the first day that a high school senior can sign a binding National Letter of Intent for college football with a school that is a member of the NCAA … Wikipedia
National Grammar Day — is celebrated in the US on March 4. Designated in 2008, the National Grammar Day was established by Martha Brockenbrough, founder of the Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar. Activities Criticism National Grammar Day is a day to set aside… … Wikipedia
National Memorial Day of the Exiles and Foibe — National Memorial Day of the Exiles and Foibe, or Giorno del ricordo in Italian language, is an Italian celebration for the memory of the victims of the Foibe and the Istrian Dalmatian exodus. Contents 1 Law s motivation 2 Law s iter 3 Law s… … Wikipedia
National language — A national language is a language (or language variant, i.e. dialect) which has some connection de facto or de jure with a people and perhaps by extension the territory they occupy. The term is used variously. A national language may for instance … Wikipedia
Language Movement Day — or Language Revolution Day (ভাষা আন্দোলন দিবস Bhasha Andolon Dibosh ), which is also referred to as Language Martyrs Day or Martyrs Day (শহীদ দিবস Shohid Dibosh ), is a national day of Bangladesh to commemorate protests and sacrifices to protect… … Wikipedia
National delimitation in the Soviet Union — refers to the process of creating well defined national territorial units (Soviet socialist republics – SSR, autonomous Soviet socialist republics – ASSR, autonomous provinces – oblasts, or autonomous national territories – okrugi) from the… … Wikipedia
National Poetry Month — is a celebration of poetry first introduced in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry in the United States. It is celebrated every April in the United States and (since 1999) in Canada as… … Wikipedia
National Junior College — 国家初级学院 Maktab Rendah Kebangsaan Service with Honour Location Bukit Timah, Coordinates … Wikipedia