- National Holistic Institute
National Holistic Institute (NHI) is California’s first and largest accredited college of massage therapy, "helping people have work they love", since 1979.
The history of National Holistic Institute began in the 1970s when founder, Carol Carpenter, learned massage from several mentors, informal teaching centers, and photocopied notes and diagrams. With this knowledge, she built a successful private practice in massage therapy in several cities and towns around the country before settling in Northern California.
After several years of learning and then several years of real-world experience, Carol dreamed of helping other people learn massage therapy – and doing it in a better and easier way than how she had learned. She envisioned comprehensive massage classes and a professional program of massage therapy education that would teach many elements of massage therapy so the graduates could be as successful as possible. She dreamed of a massage therapy institute that taught western style massage therapy, eastern style massage therapy, anatomy and kinesiology, and marketing and business classes so the graduates could have success in all elements of massage therapy.
As soon as Carol started the massage therapy school, it worked. Students loved the comprehensive, professional massage classes. The school of massage therapy began in a house on College Avenue in Oakland, CA, and grew steadily. The National Holistic Institute became accredited, the first massage school in California to do so. The school then offered federal financial aid through the U.S. Department of Education, also the first massage school in California to do so. By 1989, the massage therapy school moved to its current location in Emeryville, CA (between Berkeley and Oakland) with a perfect, central location.
NHI founder Carol Carpenter played prominent roles nationally as the field of massage therapy became more popular. NHI’s massage therapy education and faculty were one of the most respected in the nation and the school kept growing and improving throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. In 2003, Mason Myers and Tim Veitzer purchased NHI from the school's founder and have continued the growth and tradition of excellence in massage therapy education.
In 2005, the National Holistic Institute opened new campuses in San Jose, CA, and Petaluma, CA, to enable students to attend NHI that were having difficulty commuting long distances to school. In 2006, NHI opened a campus in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles (Encino, CA) by acquiring a great, long-time massage school, the Touch Therapy Institute, a school with its own significant history of leadership and high quality in southern California. In 2007, NHI opened a campus in San Francisco, California followed by a Sacramento, California campus in 2011.
Accreditations and Approvals
- Nationally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training (ACCET)
- Approved Training Provider on the Employment Development Department's ETPL
- Approved by the United States Department of Education to offer Pell grants, Stafford loans, Federal Work Study, etc.
- Approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Approved by the Board of Registered Nurses for Continuing Education
- Approved by United States Department of Homeland Security to provide international student visas
- Qualifies students for the National Certification Exam  (NCE) and California Massage Therapy Council  (CAMTC) Certification
Massage Therapy Techniques
Massage Theory and Practice subjects consist of the following:
- Swedish Massage
- Deep Tissue Massage
- Massage for Pregnant Women
- Foot Reflexology
- Shiatsu Massage
- Energy Massage
- Joint Mobilization
- Massage and Life-Threatening Illnesses
- Sports Massage
- Thai Massage
- Lymphatic Massage
- Potent Points in Acupressure
- Jin Shin Do Acupressure
- Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Spa Life
- Hot Stone Massage
Subjects in addition to the various massage therapy techniques are:
- Bones & Muscles
- Professionalism and Business classes
- Clinical Internship
- On-site Externship
- Emeryville Massage School Campus
- Studio City (Los Angeles area) Massage School Campus
- San Francisco Massage School Campus
- Sacramento Massage School Campus
- San Jose Massage School Campus
- Petaluma Massage School Campus
- ^ Calvert, Robert (2002). The history of massage: an illustrated survey from around the world. Inner Traditions / Bear & Co. pp. 268. ISBN 9780892818815. Page 214
- ^  San Jose Business Journal
- ^  The Sacramento Bee
- ^  Accrediting Council for Continuing Education & Training
- ^  Eligible Training Program List (ETPL)
- ^  National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork
- ^  California Massage Therapy Council
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Law Institute University — Established 1997 Type National University Students 500 Undergraduates … Wikipedia
Holistic education — is a philosophy of education based on the premise that each person finds identity, meaning, and purpose in life through connections to the community, to the natural world, and to spiritual values such as compassion and peace. Holistic education… … Wikipedia
National University Hospital — Coordinates: 1°17′42.3″N 103°46′58.2″E / 1.295083°N 103.782833°E / 1.295083; 103.782833 … Wikipedia
National Cancer Centre Singapore — The National Cancer Centre Singapore (abbrev: NCCS; Chinese: 新加坡国立癌症中心) … Wikipedia
National Institute of Siddha — Established 3 September 2005 Type Public Religious affiliation Autonomous Admin. staff 17 Location Chennai … Wikipedia
Holistic health — is a philosophy of medical care that views physical and mental aspects of life as closely interconnected and equally important approaches to treatment. While frequently associated with alternative medicine, it is also increasingly used in… … Wikipedia
National College of Natural Medicine — Motto The profession s college since 1956 Established 1956 Type Private … Wikipedia
National College of Arts — National College of Arts, Lahore Established 1875 Type Public Location … Wikipedia
National Institute of Industrial Engineering — Coordinates: 19°8′21″N 72°54′18″E / 19.13917°N 72.905°E / 19.13917; 72.905 … Wikipedia
National Institute of Design, Bangalore — Coordinates: 13°02′06″N 77°32′07″E / 13.03487°N 77.5352°E / 13.03487; 77.5352 See National Instit … Wikipedia