- National Guard (Bahrain)
The National Guard of Bahrain (Arabic: الحرس الوطني) is a separate military force in Bahrain that serves both as defence force against external threats and as a security force against internal threats. It was established in 1997, through a royal decree by then Emir Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa.
External images Photo showing members of the Bahraini National Guard arrest Wall Street Journal reporter Alex Delmar-Morgan as he walks towards Pearl Square on March 16, 2011 from the Daily Mail, March 17, 2011
The National Guard has been involved in the Bahrain government's violent crackdown on pro-democracy protesters during the 2011 Bahraini uprising.
- ^ "Decree No 1 of the Year 1997 on the Establishment and Formation of the National Guard". Official Gazette of the Kingdom of Bahrain. 7 January 1997. http://www.legalaffairs.gov.bh/viewhtm.aspx?ID=O0197.
- ^ Monroe, William (2007-04-09). Prominent Shias Paint Gloomy Picture of Shia Outlook in Bahrain. WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks cable:07MANAMA328. http://wikileaks.org/cable/2007/04/07MANAMA328.html#par4. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- ^ "HM King Hamad Visits the National Guard". Bahrain News Agency. 3 March 2011. http://bna.bh/portal/en/news/448952.
- ^ "Bahrain". The 2011 US Department of State Background Notes. United States Department of State. http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/26414.htm. Retrieved 5 September 2011. "Bahrain also has a national guard that consists of about 1,200 personnel."
- ^ "Bahrain Defence Force General Command". Bahrain News Agency. 16 March 2011. http://www.bna.bh/portal/en/news/450034. Retrieved 5 September 2011.
- ^ "Pakistani troops aid Bahrain's crackdown". Aljazeera.com. 30 July 2011. http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/07/2011725145048574888.html.
- ^ "Overseas Employment Services: Fauji Foundation headhunts for Bahrain’s security units". The Express Tribune. 11 March 2011. http://tribune.com.pk/story/130961/overseas-employment-services-fauji-foundation-headhunts-for-bahrains-security-units/.
- ^ Riedel, Bruce (2 August 2011). "The New Bahrain-Pakistan Alliance". The National Interest. http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/bahrain-calls-mercenaries-silence-protestors-5689.
- ^ "Bahrain's Foreign Police Add to Tensions". The Wall Street Journal. 25 March 2011. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703784004576220762563363574.html.
- Bahrain Defence Force
- Special Security Force Command
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Guard — Contents 1 Forces 1.1 Americas 1.2 Europe 1.3 Africa … Wikipedia
National Guard — Eine Nationalgarde ist eine paramilitärische Organisation, die nach der jeweiligen Organisation aus Freiwilligen und Reservisten oder Wehrpflichtigen bestehen kann. In vielen Ländern ist die Nationalgarde der Teil des Militärs, der anders als die … Deutsch Wikipedia
Bahrain Defence Force — Bahrain Defense Force Service branches Royal Bahraini Air Force Royal Bahraini Navy Royal Bahraini Army Bahrain Royal Medical Services Manpower Active personnel 9,000 (approximate) … Wikipedia
Bahrain Royal Medical Services — (also known as Bahrain Defense Force Hospital) is one of the major hospitals in the Kingdom of Bahrain, and the only hospital where free health care is provided exclusively for non civilians in the country. The Hospital was opened in 1968 as a… … Wikipedia
National Anthem of Saudi Arabia — النشيد الوطني English: The National Anthem an Našīd al Waṭaniyy National anthem of Saudi Arabia … Wikipedia
Bahrain — /bah rayn , ruyn , beuh /, n. 1. a sheikdom in the Persian Gulf, consisting of a group of islands: formerly a British protectorate; declared independent 1971. 603,318; 232 sq. mi. (601 sq. km). Cap.: Manama. 2. the largest island in this group:… … Universalium
Bahrain — For the historical region, see Bahrain (historical region). For the island, see Bahrain Island. For the city in Iran, see Bahrain, Iran. For the town in Pakistan, see Bahrain, Pakistan. Kingdom of Bahrain مملكة البحر … Wikipedia
National Security Agency — NSA redirects here. For other uses, see NSA (disambiguation). For the Bahraini intelligence agency, see National Security Agency (Bahrain). National Security Agency Agency overview … Wikipedia
National Police Agency (Republic of China) — National Police Agency Strength Force Size 68,818 (2004) Local Pop. 23,036,087 Headquarters … Wikipedia
National Bureau of Investigation (Philippines) — National Bureau of Investigation Pambansang Kawanihan ng Pagsisiyasat Seal of the National Bureau of Investigation Agency overview Formed November 13, 1936 Preceding agency … Wikipedia