- Northern Rock (Asset Management)
Northern Rock (Asset Management) Type Public ownership Industry Bank Founded 1965
Renamed as Northern Rock (Asset Management) in 2010
Headquarters Northern Rock House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK Area served UK Services Mortgages Owner(s) Her Majesty's Government (UKFI / UK Asset Resolution Ltd) Website www.n-ram.co.uk
Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc (also referred to as NRAM) is a British asset holding and management company which was split away from the Northern Rock bank in 2010. It is currently under public ownership, due to the bank's nationalisation in 2008. The company continues to service a residential mortgage book of approximately £50 billion.
On 17 November 2011 it was announced that Virgin Money were going to buy the "good bank" side of Northern Rock plc for £747 million; the government have said that they will not be selling Northern Rock (Asset Management).
Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc was renamed from Northern Rock plc on 31 December 2009, and the following day the banking assets were split off into a new company called Northern Rock plc. Therefore current legal entity which exists as Northern Rock (Asset Management) company is in fact the company of the Northern Rock Building Society (founded 1965) which turned into a bank in 1997.
On 14 September 2007, during the financial crisis of 2007–2010, the Bank sought and received a liquidity support facility from the Bank of England, following problems in the credit markets caused by the US subprime mortgage financial crisis. At 00:01 on 22 February 2008 the bank was taken into state ownership (see the Nationalisation of Northern Rock). The nationalisation was a result of two unsuccessful bids to take over the bank, neither being able to fully commit to repayment of taxpayers' money. To better control the assets of the bank it was decided to split the company in two, forming the new bank and leaving this company as the so-called 'bad-bank'.
On 24 March 2010 UKFI announced its intention to integrate Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc and Bradford & Bingley plc under a single holding company. On 1 October it was announced that Bradford & Bingley plc and Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc had been merged under a single holding company U.K. Asset Resolution Ltd.
On 3 August 2010 the company announced pre-tax profits £349.7m for the first six months of the year. On 1 October 2010 the bank announced that another £700 million had been paid off of the loan in the last three months.
Northern Rock (Asset Management) holds and services the majority of existing mortgage and unsecured loan accounts. The company does not offer any new products and has no branches.
Northern Rock (Asset Management)'s logo is the letter NRAM underlined and in grey. Initially Northern Rock (Asset Management) used the same corporate identity as the bank; this was introduced in 2000 and consists of a magenta square containing the company name.
Board of directors
Since the company split into two parts, each separate entity has had its own board of directors. With the merger of this company with the mortgage assets of Bradford & Bingley under a single holding company, Richard Pym, Chairman of both companies is to be appointed Chairman new holding company, and Richard Banks, currently Managing Director of Bradford & Bingley has been appointed Chief Executive designate.
Northern Rock (Asset Management) board as of 1 January 2011:
- Chairman: Richard Pym
- Chief Executive: Richard Banks
- Executive Directors: Andy Tate
- Non-Executive Directors: Kent Atkinson, Sue Langley, Keith Morgan, Philip Remnant
- Northern Rock
- Granite (Northern Rock vehicle)
- Nationalisation of Northern Rock
- Partnership House
- UK Financial Investments Limited
- Banking (Special Provisions) Act 2008
- UK Asset Resolution Ltd
- ^ "Northern Rock now in public hands". BBC News. 2008-02-22. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7258492.stm. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ^ "The Northern Rock plc Transfer Order 2008" (PDF). HM Treasury. 2008-02-22. http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/6/8/transfer_order_northern_rock_220208.pdf. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- ^ "Northern Rock sale announced by chancellor". BBC News. 2011-11-17. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15769886. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ "Liquidity Support Facility for Northern Rock plc - Tripartite Statement by HM Treasury, Bank of England and Financial Services Authority". Bank of England. 2007-09-14. http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/news/2007/090.htm. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ "Northern Rock to be nationalised". BBC News. 2008-02-17. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7249575.stm. Retrieved 2008-04-08.
- ^ "Rock recovery is Sandler's goal". BBC News. 2008-02-18. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7249858.stm. Retrieved 2008-02-20.
- ^ "Bradford & Bingley plc and Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc" (PDF). UKFI. 2010-03-24. http://www.ukfi.gov.uk/releases/20100324%20Press%20Release%20NR%28AM%29%20and%20B&Bv2.PDF. Retrieved 2010-03-24. [dead link]
- ^ "UK Sets Holding Co For Northern Rock Asset, Bradford & Bingley". Wall Street Journal. 2010-10-01. http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20101001-704126.html. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- ^ "Northern Rock returns to profit". BBC News. 2010-08-03. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10848374. Retrieved 2010-08-03.
- ^ "Northern Rock 'bad bank' pays £1bn". Press Association. 2010-10-01. http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gawoq21GUVVI1kP2An0iS9iXLrrg?docId=N0032341285933500089A. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- ^ "Half Year Results 2010". NRAM. http://www.n-ram.co.uk/~/media/Files/N/N-RAM/content/results-presentations/nram-half-year-results-2010.pdf. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- ^ "Senior appointments: Holding Company of NR(AM)-B&1". Northern Rock (Asset Management) plc / Bradford & Bingley plc. 2010-04-09. http://companyinfo.northernrockassetmanagement.com/investorrelations/news/viewFeedarticle.aspx?id=376387311532926. Retrieved 2010-04-09. [dead link]
Commercial and retail banks in the United Kingdom Allied Irish Banks Bank of Ireland GroupBank of Ireland · Bristol & West BarclaysBarclays Bank · Barclays Wealth The Co-operative Group Grupo SantanderCahoot · Cater Allen · Santander UK HSBC Holdings Lloyds Banking Group1 National Australia Bank Royal Bank of Scotland Group3 Wholly state-owned OtherAirdrie Savings Bank · Anglo Irish Bank · Arbuthnot Latham & Co · Butterfield Bank · C. Hoare & Co · Close Brothers Group · Duncan Lawrie · Egg · GE Money · Handelsbanken · Harrods Bank · ICICI Bank UK · Islamic Bank of Britain · Julian Hodge Bank · Kingdom Bank · Kleinwort Benson · Metro Bank · Northern Bank · OneSavings Bank · Raphaels Bank · Reliance Bank · N M Rothschild & Sons · Standard Chartered · Tesco Bank · Triodos Bank · Virgin Money (Church House Trust) Former Building Societies in the United KingdomAbbey National · Aid to Thrift · Alliance and Leicester · Anglia · Barnsley · Bedford · Bedford Crown · Bexhill · Bingley Permanent · Birmingham Midshires · Bolton · Bradford and Bingley · Bradford Equitable · Bristol and West · Britannia · Bury St Edmunds · Burnley · Catholic · Chelsea · Cheltenham and Gloucester · Chesham · Cheshire · Cheshunt · Chilterns · City & Metropolitan · City of London · Clay Cross Benefit · Co-operative Permanent · Coventry Provident · Derbyshire · Dunfermline · Eastbourne · Essex Equitable · Frome Selwood · Gainsborough · Gateway · Greenwich · Guardian · Halifax · Hampshire · Haywards Heath · Heart of England · Hendon · Herts and Essex · Ilkeston Permanent · Kent Reliance · Ketley's · Lambeth · Lancastrian · Leamington Spa · Leeds Permanent · Louth, Mablethorpe and Sutton · Mercantile · Mid Sussex · Mornington · National & Provincial · North of England · Northern Rock · Norwich and Peterborough · Nottingham Imperial · Peckham · Portman · Portsmouth · Regency · Rowley Regis · Scarborough · Sheffield · St Pancras · St Stephen's · Staffordshire · Standard · Stroud & Swindon · Sun · Surrey · Sussex County · Town and Country · Tynemouth · Universal · Walthamstow · Wessex · West Cumbria · West of England · Woolwich
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Northern Rock — Northern Rock Staat [[Großbritannien]] Sitz Newcastle upon Tyne, Vereinigtes Königreich … Deutsch Wikipedia
Northern Rock — plc Tipo Pública Fundación Newcast … Wikipedia Español
Northern Rock — This article is about the consumer bank. For the separate asset company, see Northern Rock (Asset Management). For the company s nationalisation, see Nationalisation of Northern Rock. For the company that this bank will be merged with, see Virgin … Wikipedia
Northern Rock — Тип Публичная компания Листинг на бирже LSE … Википедия
Nationalisation of Northern Rock — People queuing at a branch of the Northern Rock bank in Brighton on 14 September 2007. In 2008 the Northern Rock bank was nationalised by the British Government, due to financial problems caused by the subprime mortgage crisis. In 2010 the bank… … Wikipedia
National Asset Management Agency — Agency overview Formed Late 2009 Jurisdiction Ireland … Wikipedia
Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad — Rock Island Line redirects here. For the Metra commuter rail line, see Rock Island District. For the song performed by Leadbelly, see Rock Island Line (song). For the Johnny Cash album, see Rock Island Line (album). Chicago, Rock Island and… … Wikipedia
Troubled Asset Relief Program — TARP redirects here. For other uses, see Tarp. This article is about the Treasury fund. For the legislative bill and subsequent law, see Public Law 110 343. For the legislative history and the events leading to the law, see Emergency Economic… … Wikipedia
NRAM — may refer to: Nano RAM, a proprietary computer memory technology Northern Rock Asset Management plc, a British asset holding and management company This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an internal link le … Wikipedia
Late-2000s financial crisis — The TED spread (in red) increased significantly during the financial crisis, reflecting an increase in perceived credit risk … Wikipedia