- NBCUniversal Television Group
NBCUniversal Television Group Type Subsidiary Founded 2004 Owner(s) Comcast (51%)
General Electric Co.(49%)
Parent NBCUniversal Media, LLC.
NBCUniversal Television Group is an American and global television production/distribution company and a subsidiary of NBCUniversal.
The company is composed of six divisions: Universal Television (formerly Universal Media Studios and NBC Universal Television Studio), NBC Universal Television Stations, NBCUniversal Television Distribution, NBCUniversal International Television, Peacock Productions, and the recently-established Universal Cable Productions.
The company was previously known as Revue Studios, NBC Studios, Universal Television, and MCA TV. The name was changed to NBC Universal Television on May 12, 2004 from the merger of NBC's production/distribution arm and Universal's television division to reflect the NBC Universal brand.
The previous name took syndication until September 20, 2004, which was also the date launch of the NBC Uni TV Distribution logo, even though the copyright to the NBC Universal TV shows are now credited to either NBC Studios, Inc., NBC Enterprises, Inc., Universal Network Television LLC, Universal Talk TV Productions, LLC, or otherwise NBC Universal, Inc. (all NBC Universal TV's alternate monikers).
On June 14, 2007, NBC Universal announced that NBC Universal Television Studio would be renamed, effective immediately, to Universal Media Studios. The parent company, NBC Universal, explained that the reason for the name change of NBC Universal Television was because "the new name fully describes the company's mission to be the premier content provider for television and digital platforms, spanning all television dayparts and creative genres." On September 12, 2011, NBCUniversal announced they will rename Universal Media Studios back to Universal Television.
DVD releases for most shows owned by the group are handled by Universal Studios Home Entertainment, while others are licensed to other companies such as Lionsgate Home Entertainment, Arts Alliance America and Shout! Factory.
Universal Television (formerly NBC Productions, NBC Studios, Universal Network Television NBC Universal Television Studio, and Universal Media Studios) is the television production arm of NBCUniversal that produces network programs that was first established in 1962.
NBCUniversal Television Stations
NBCUniversal Television Stations is another production company that handles series that are aired on NBC owned stations.
NBCUniversal Television Stations Division (TVSD) is an operation division of NBC Universal's owned and operated NBC stations and the following Telemundo Stations:
- KNBC, KVEA, and KWHY-TV, Los Angeles
- KNSD, San Diego
- KNTV and KSTS, San Jose - San Francisco
- KXAS-TV and KXTX-TV, Dallas - Fort Worth
- WCAU, Philadelphia
- WMAQ-TV and WSNS-TV, Chicago
- WNBC and WNJU, New York City
- WRC-TV, Washington, D.C.
- WTVJ and WSCV, Miami - Fort Lauderdale
- WVIT, New Haven - Hartford
- KBLR, Las Vegas
- KHRR, Tucson, Arizona
- KDEN, Denver
- KNSO, Fresno, California
- KTAZ, Phoenix
- KTMD, Galveston - Houston
- KVDA, San Antonio
- WKAQ-TV, San Juan
- WNEU, Merrimack, N.H. - Boston
NBCUniversal Television Distribution
NBCUniversal Television Distribution (formerly NBC Enterprises and Universal Domestic Television among other distributor incarnations) is the television distribution arm of NBC Universal that distributes programs across the nation.
NBCUniversal International Television
NBCUniversal International Television or NBCUniversal International Television Distribution (formerly Universal Worldwide Television and MCA TV International) is the worldwide television production/distribution arm of NBCUniversal, syndicating NBCUni's programs across the globe. Universal Worldwide Television was formed in 1997 as a result of the break-up of UIP Pay TV. Prior to NUIT's formation, for several years MGM International Television Distribution handled worldwide distribution of shows from NBC Studios.
American shows owned stateside by other companies
- These shows are distributed by other companies in the USA, but by NUIT internationally
- Little House on the Prairie
- US TV rights are owned by CBS Television Distribution (originally Worldvision Enterprises, Paramount Domestic Television, and CBS Paramount Domestic Television), while US video rights are owned by Lions Gate Home Entertainment. However, NBC (and now NBC Universal) has always owned the ancillary rights (the sale of US TV syndication rights in 1979 to Worldvision was due to fin-syn laws then in place).
- Punky Brewster (1984-1988)
- US TV rights are owned by Sony Pictures Television, and DVD rights by Shout! Factory. Sony's rights (inherited from Columbia Pictures Television) were also a result of the fin-syn laws. NBC produced the seasons airing on that network as well as the entire animated series, while CPT produced the syndicated seasons of the live-action series. NBCUniversal owns ancillary rights.
- Several titles by Brillstein-Grey Entertainment, such as Just Shoot Me! (1997-2003), The Steve Harvey Show (1996-2002), and The Dana Carvey Show (1996)
- US rights to all shows are with Sony Pictures Television. Brillstein-Grey had sold some of their library to Universal in the late 1990s.
- The Pretender (1996-2000)
- Will & Grace (1998-2006)
- Warner Bros. Television owns US TV rights to this series, while US video rights rest with Lions Gate. NBCUniversal owns ancillary rights.
- Ed (2000-04)
- CBS Television Distribution (successor-in-interest to co-producer Viacom Productions) owns the US rights to the series.
- The In-Laws (2002-03) and Medical Investigation (2004-05)
- CBS Television Distribution (successor-in-interest to co-producer Paramount Network Television) owns the US rights to both series.
- ^ NBC Taps Cable-Studio Bosses
- ^ "NBC Universal re-names NBC Universal Television Studio as Universal Media Studios" (Press release). NBC Universal. 2007-06-14. http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20070614nuts01. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- ^ Universal Media Studios Gets New Heads Of Drama, Comedy & Casting And New Name
NBCUniversal LLC Company OfficialsBoard of DirectorsSenior Corporate Executives Universal Studios Universal Parks & Resorts Broadcast TV assets NBCUniversal
Television NetworksComcast Networks
CNBC global channels CNBC Europe branches CNBC Asia branches Universal Networks
Syfy global channels NBCUniversal Television Group NBC O&Os Telemundo O&Os ShopNBC O&Os Internet ventures: Other assets: Defunct properties: See also:
- ^ Co-owned with Dentsu.
- ^ 50%, with Viacom's Paramount Pictures.
- ^ Combined operation with InterMedia Partners.
- ^ a b c Co-owned with Blackstone Group and Bain Capital.
- ^ Co-owned with Corus Entertainment and Cookie Jar Group.
- ^ Co-owned with Mediaset.
- ^ a b The stations are co-owned with LIN TV in a joint venture (76% owned by NBC, 24% owned by LIN).
- ^ a b c The stations are owned by NBCUniversal, but are controlled by ZGS Broadcast Holdings.
- ^ Co-owned with News Corporation and The Walt Disney Company.
- ^ Co-owned with Microsoft in a joint venture (82% owned by NBC, 18% owned by Microsoft).
- ^ Co-owned with Corus Entertainment, Classic Media, Nelvana, Scholastic Books and ION Media Networks.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NBCUniversal Television Distribution — Type Subsidiary Founded 2004 Headquarters Philadelphia, Pennsylv … Wikipedia
NBC Universal Television Group — NBCUniversal Television Group, una filial de la empresa de comunicación NBCUniversal, es una empresa de producción y distribución para televisión en los Estados Unidos y otros países. La empresa se compone de seis divisiones: Universal Television … Wikipedia Español
NBCUniversal — NBCUniversal, LLC Type Limited liability company Founded Merger between NBC and Vivendi (May 11, 2004 (2004 05 11)) … Wikipedia
NBCUniversal — NBCUniversal, LLC Tipo Sociedad de responsabilidad limitada Fundación 11 de mayo de 2004 (como el resultado de una fus … Wikipedia Español
NBCUniversal Cable — is the division of NBCUniversal that oversees the following cable television networks: Bravo Chiller Cloo mun2 Oxygen Syfy Telemundo Puerto Rico Universal HD USA Network The Weather Channel Weatherscan D … Wikipedia
Television Without Pity — URL TelevisionWithoutPity.com Commercial? Yes Type of site Online collection of television series recaps and related discussion forums Registration Optional Owner … Wikipedia
NBCUniversal — Logo de NBCUniversal Création 2004 … Wikipédia en Français
NBCUniversal — NBCUniversal, LLC Rechtsform Limited Liability Company Gründung 2004 Sitz … Deutsch Wikipedia
Universal Television — Type Subsidiary Industry Television production company Founded 1962 … Wikipedia
Comcast Television — Launched March 1, 2008 (Comcast Television) August 15, 2008 (Comcast Television 2) Owned by NBCUniversal Picture format 480i Country United States Language English Broadcast area Michig … Wikipedia