- My Name Is Legion (Zelazny stories)
My Name Is Legion
Cover of first edition (paperback)
Author(s) Roger Zelazny Cover artist The Brothers Hildebrandt Country United States Language English Genre(s) Science fiction short stories Publisher Ballantine Books Publication date 1976 Media type Print (Paperback) Pages 213 pp ISBN 0345248678 OCLC Number 1976128 Dewey Decimal 813/.5/4 LC Classification PS3576.E43 M9
The protagonist of these stories was involved in the creation of a global computer network designed to give ultimate economic control by keeping track of all human activity. Just before the system went live, the hero expressed his concerns about the possible misuse of such power to his superior, who gave the hero the chance to destroy his personal data before it was to be entered into the system. In taking this step the hero becomes non-existent as far as the system is concerned. Using backdoors in the central network, the hero is able to create identities for himself as needed. With this freedom he sets himself up as a freelance investigator and problem solver.
The following stories are included in the anthology:
- "The Eve of RUMOKO": Project RUMOKO is a plan to use nuclear explosives to create artificial islands; the hero must identify and stop a saboteur on the project.
- "'Kjwalll'kje'k'koothai'lll'kje'k": At a research station in the Bahamas a diver has died, apparently in an attack by a dolphin... But dolphins do not attack humans, and someone suspects foul play.
- "Home Is the Hangman": A sentient space-exploration robot, lost years before, has apparently returned to Earth. One of its original designers has died under suspicious circumstances. Has the Hangman returned to kill its creators? The hero must find the Hangman and stop it, and time is running out. Although based on the same character as the other stories in this collection the theme is more closely related to the ideas Zelazny was developing in the short story "The Force That Through the Circuit Drives the Current" from the collection Unicorn Variations. This story won the 1976 Hugo Award for Best Novella.
In popular culture
- In the film Phantasm, a paperback copy of the book is clearly seen on Mike Pearson's nightstand as he prepares to open the box containing a finger of the Tall Man.
- Levack, Daniel J. H. (1983). Amber Dreams: A Roger Zelazny Bibliography. San Francisco: Underwood/Miller. pp. 25–26. ISBN 0-934438-39-0.
Nebula Award for Best Novella (1965–1980) 1965–1970 1971–1980
The Missing Man by Katherine Maclean (1971) · A Meeting with Medusa by Arthur C. Clarke] (1972) · The Death of Doctor Island by Gene Wolfe (1973) · Born with the Dead by Robert Silverberg (1974) · Home Is the Hangman by Roger Zelazny (1975) · Houston, Houston, Do You Read? by James Tiptree, Jr. (1976) · Stardance by Spider Robinson and Jeanne Robinson (1977) · The Persistence of Vision by John Varley (1978) · Enemy Mine by Barry B. Longyear (1979) · Unicorn Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas (1980)
Complete List · 1965–1980 · 1981–2000 · 2001–present
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
My Name is Legion (Zelazny stories) — infobox Book | name = My Name is Legion title orig = translator = image caption = Cover of first edition (paperback) author = Roger Zelazny cover artist = The Brothers Hildebrandt country = United States language = English series = genre =… … Wikipedia
My Name Is Legion (novel) — For the Roger Zelazny story collection, see My Name Is Legion (Zelazny stories). My Name Is Legion is a novel by A. N. Wilson first published in 2004. Set in London in the first years of the 21st century, the book revolves around two main topics … Wikipedia
My Name is Legion — may refer to: My Name is Legion (novel), by A. N. Wilson My Name is Legion (Zelazny stories), an anthology My Name is Legion , a story by Lester del Rey included in the collection War and Space O Meu Nome É Legião ( My Name is Legion in… … Wikipedia
Zelazny — Roger Zelazny (* 13. Mai 1937 in Cleveland, Ohio; † 14. Juni 1995 in Santa Fe (New Mexico), war ein US amerikanischer Autor von Fantasy und Science Fiction Romanen. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Leben 2 Werk … Deutsch Wikipedia
Legion (demon) in popular culture — My name is Legion is a quotation from the Gospel according to Mark and refers to a story in which Jesus meets a man possessed by demons, and who, when asked what his name is, responds:: My name is Legion, for we are many. The quotation has been… … Wikipedia
Zelazny — Roger Zelazny Cet article fait partie de la série Science fiction La SF à l’écran autre A B C … Wikipédia en Français
Roger Zelazny — Infobox Science Fiction Writer name = Roger Zelazny imagesize = caption = pseudonym = birth date = birth date|1937|5|13|mf=y birth place = Euclid, Ohio death date = death date and age|1995|6|14|1937|5|13|mf=y death place = Santa Fe, New Mexico… … Wikipedia
Roger Zelazny — (* 13. Mai 1937 in Cleveland, Ohio; † 14. Juni 1995 in Santa Fe, New Mexico) war ein US amerikanischer Autor von Fantasy und Science Fiction Kurzgeschichten und Romanen. Zelaznys Werke wurden mehrfach ausgezeichnet; so gewann er mit dreien seiner … Deutsch Wikipedia
Roger Zelazny — Nom de naissance Roger Joseph Zelazny Autres noms Harrison Denmark Activités Romancier, nouvelliste Naissance 13 mai 1937 Euclid, Ohio … Wikipédia en Français
List of role-playing games by name — This is a list of role playing games (RPGs) by name. For a list subdivided by genre, see list of role playing games by genre.This list does not include computer role playing games, MMORPGs, or any other video games with RPG elements.Most of these … Wikipedia