- Charlie Chaplin (singer)
Charlie Chaplin Birth name Richard Patrick Bennett Origin Jamaica Genres Reggae Labels RAS, Tamoki Wambesi, Trojan
Charlie Chaplin (born Richard Patrick Bennett) is a Jamaican dancehall and ragga deejay and singer. It was common for Jamaican deejays of the era to name themselves after film stars or characters. Bennett, however, had been nicknamed after the comedian since his youth. His career began in 1980 when he began working with U-Roy's Stur-Gav Hi-Fi collective. He became extremely popular throughout Jamaica, memorable for his focus on cultural and social themes instead of the "slack" (rough, violent) lyrics that were popular at the time. His popularity as a live performer prompted Roy Cousins to produce some recording sessions with the young DJ. Chaplin's debut album was the Cousins-produced Presenting Charlie Chaplin in 1982, with several albums following for the producer over the next 3 years.
The contrast between Chaplin's 'culture' lyrics and the other major deejays of the day led to the 1984 'clash' album with Yellowman Slackness Vs Pure Culture.
- Presenting Charlie Chaplin (1982), Kingdom
- Red Pond (1982), Tamoki Wambesi
- Chaplin Chant, Tamoki Wambesi
- One of a Kind (1983), Trojan
- Fire Burn Them Below (1984), Power House
- Roots & Culture (1984), Vista Sounds
- Sound System (1984), Arrival
- Que Dem (1985), Sonic Sounds
- Quenchie, Tamoki Wambesi
- Yellowman Meets Charlie Chaplin, Power House - with Yellowman
- Live at Maypen Clarendon (1988), Tamoki Wambesi
- Two Sides of Charlie Chaplin (1989), RAS
- Take 2 (1990), RAS
- Cry Blood (1991), RAS
- Old and New Testament (1992), RAS
- Kings of the Dancehall (1994), VP - with Josey Wales
- Too Hot to Handle (1994), RAS
- The Negril Chill (1997), Shellshock - with Yellowman
- Gwaan U Ways (2001), P.O.T.
- Free Africa, Sonic Sounds
- 20 Super Hits (1991), Sonic Sounds
- Dance Hall Rockers, Sunset
- Dance Hall Rockers vol. 2, Harry J
- Ras Portraits (1997), RAS
- Face to Face (2000), Cactus
- Respect Due (2000), Creole
- DJ Roll Call (2006), RAS
- Kings of Reggae, Nocturne
- Bradley, Lloyd (2001). This is Reggae. New York: Grove Press.
- Chang, Kevin O'Brien and Wayne Chen (1998). Reggae Routes. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.
- Weber, Tom and Brian Jahn (1998). Reggae Island: Jamaican Music in the Digital Age. New York: Da Capo Press.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Charlie Chaplin — For other people named Charles Chaplin, see Charles Chaplin (disambiguation). Charlie Chaplin … Wikipedia
Charlie Chaplin — n. Sir Charles Spencer Charlie Chaplin (1889 1977) English born USA comedy and film star; Gene Charlie Chaplin, Jamaican dancehall singer n. position in which one s feet are turned outwards … English contemporary dictionary
Smile (Charlie Chaplin song) — Song infobox Name = Smile Caption = Type = Artist = Charlie Chaplin alt Artist = Nat King Cole, Natalie Cole, Michael Bolton, The Lettermen, Eric Clapton, Betty Everett and Jerry Butler, Holly Cole, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, Julia Migenes,… … Wikipedia
Chaplin (name) — Chaplin is a surname of English, Ukrainian and Belarusian origin. Surnames of English origin are derived from the occupational name for a clergyman, while Ukrainian and Belarusian uses are derived from chaplya, meaning ‘heron’ or ‘stork’. The… … Wikipedia
Charlie (given name) — Charlie Gender unisex Origin Meaning free man Charlie is a given name in English speaking countries, usually a nickname for Charles, which is derived from the Germanic name Karl, meaning free man or of a beastly manner. Charlie is a nickn … Wikipedia
Chaplin, Charlie — in full Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin born April 16, 1889, London, Eng. died Dec. 25, 1977, Corsier sur Vevey, Switz. British U.S. actor and director. The son of poverty stricken music hall entertainers, he became a vaudeville performer at age… … Universalium
Charlie Watts — Watts at the 58th Berlin International Film Festival, 2008 Background information Birth name Charles Robert Watts … Wikipedia
Charles Chaplin (disambiguation) — Charlie Chaplin is an English comedy actor. Charles or Charlie Chaplin is also the name of: Charles Chaplin (artist) (1907–1987), English artist, engraver and printmaker Charles Chaplin (elder) (1759–1816), British Member of Parliament for… … Wikipedia
The Chaplin Revue — Directed by Charlie Chaplin Starring Charlie Chaplin Editing by Paul Davies Derek Parsons … Wikipedia
Jewel (singer) — Not to be confused with Jewell (singer), the R B singer. Jewel Jewel performing at the Red Robinson Show Theatre in Coquitlam, Canada on June 5, 2008 Background information … Wikipedia