- Mountain gazelle
Mountain gazelle Mountain gazelle (male) Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Mammalia Order: Artiodactyla Family: Bovidae Subfamily: Antilopinae Genus: Gazella Species: G. gazella Binomial name Gazella gazella
The mountain gazelle (Gazella gazella) is a species of gazelle that is widely but unevenly distributed across the Arabian Peninsula. It inhabits mountains, foothills and coastal plains. Its range coincides closely with that of the acacia trees that grow in these areas. It is mainly a grazing species, though this varies with food availability. It is less well adapted to hot, dry conditions than the Dorcas gazelle which appears to have replaced the Mountain Gazelle through some of its range during the late Holocene in a period of climatic warming. There are less than 15,000 mountain gazelles left within their natural range, more than 10,000 of these being of subspecies G. g. cora, less than 3,000 of the Israeli subspecies, G. g. gazella, less than 1,000 of G. g. farasani, less than 250 of G. g. muscatensis, and 19 of subspecies G. g. acaiae. Mountain gazelles can reach running speeds of up to 80 kilometres per hour (50 mph).
In Israel there are three subspecies:
The Israeli gazelle - G. g. gazella. The Israeli gazelle is the most common gazelle in Israel, residing largely in three areas. Its population decreased greatly throughout its natural range in the first part of the 20th century due to poaching and successful breeding of Iranian wolves, but increased thereafter in Israel due to conservation efforts.
- The southern Golan Heights, which has the largest population of Israeli gazelles, estimated at between 1,500 to 3,000. It is estimated that at the turn of the 21st century, there were 5000 to 6000 Israeli gazelle in the area.
- Ramot Naftali contains the second largest population of Israeli gazelles in Israel.
- The Galilee population has hundreds of Israeli gazelles in the opens areas.
- In the coastal plain, there is a small population of the gazelles but the numbers are continually decreasing because of the accelerated urbanization.
The Arava gazelle - G. g. acaciae. The Arava gazelle is in critical danger with only 19 (counting made in 2007 of 17 plus two newborns) gazelle in a closed nature reserve near Yotvata.
The merrill gazelle - G. g. merrilli. The merrill gazelle lives in the mountains near Jerusalem.
- ^ Grubb, Peter (16 November 2005). "Gazella gazella". In Wilson, Don E., and Reeder, DeeAnn M., eds. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2 vols. (2142 pp.). ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494. http://www.bucknell.edu/msw3/browse.asp?id=14200571.
- ^ IUCN SSC Antelope Specialist Group (2008). "Gazella gazella". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/8970. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- ^ Lee, K.. "Gazella gazella". Animal Diversity Web. http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Gazella_gazella.html. Retrieved 22 August 2011.
- ^ a b Kaplan, D. (2002-12). "Langfristige Bestandsschwankungen der Edmigazelle (Gazella gazella gazella) in Nordisrael". Zeitschrift für Jagdwissenschaft (Springer Berlin / Heidelberg) 48 (Supplement 1): 167–171. doi:10.1007/BF02192405.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
См. также в других словарях:
Mountain Gazelle — Taxobox name = Mountain Gazelle status = VU | status system = IUCN3.1 trend = down image width = 250px regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Mammalia ordo = Artiodactyla familia = Bovidae subfamilia = Antilopinae genus = Gazella species … Wikipedia
mountain gazelle — paprastoji gazelė statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas taksono rangas rūšis atitikmenys: lot. Gazella gazella angl. common gazelle; Indian gazelle; mountain gazelle vok. Echtgazelle; Edmigazelle rus. обыкновенная газель pranc. edmi ryšiai:… … Žinduolių pavadinimų žodynas
Mountain Nyala — Conservation status Endangered (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Mountain Reedbuck — Conservation status Least Concern … Wikipedia
Mountain goat — For Eurasian mountain goats, see Capra (genus). For the rock band, see The Mountain Goats. For the Cumbrian bus operator, see Mountain Goat (bus company). Mountain Goat (also known as tahr) Conservation status … Wikipedia
Gazelle — Taxobox name = Gazelle image caption = Thomson s Gazelle regnum = Animalia phylum = Chordata classis = Mammalia ordo = Artiodactyla familia = Bovidae subfamilia = Antilopinae genus = Gazella genus authority = , 1816 subdivision ranks = Species… … Wikipedia
gazelle — gazellelike, adj. /geuh zel /, n., pl. gazelles, (esp. collectively) gazelle. any small antelope of the genus Gazella and allied genera, of Africa and Asia, noted for graceful movements and lustrous eyes. [1575 85; < F; OF gazel < Ar ghazala] * * … Universalium
Gazelle des montagnes — Gazella gazella Gazelle Mountain … Wikipédia en Français
Dorcas Gazelle — Conservation status Vulnerable ( … Wikipedia
Cuvier's Gazelle — At the San Diego Zoo Conservation status … Wikipedia