- Mount Vaea
View of Mt Vaea from Lepea village to the northwest.
Elevation 472 m (1,549 ft) Location Location Upolu, Samoa Coordinates S 13° 51' 49 W 171° 46' 25Geonames
Mount Vaea is a 472m summit overlooking Apia, the capital of Samoa located on the north central coast of Upolu island. The mountain is situated south about 3 km inland from Apia township and harbour. The settlement at the foothills on the northern side of the mountain is called Lalovaea (below Vaea in Samoan).
Mount Vaea is most well known as the burial place of Robert Louis Stevenson who lived the last four years of his life in Samoa before his death on 3 December 1894. Stevenson, who had lived on the east side of Mount Vaea, had chosen the mountain top as his final resting place. The day following his death, his coffin was carried by Samoans to the summit for burial. The steep path to his grave is called the 'Road of Loving Hearts.' It takes about an hour to ascend by foot. Stevenson was called Tusitala (Samoan:tusi write, tala story) by the people of Samoa.
Inscribed on Stevenson's tomb is his requiem;Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.And the hunter home from the hill.
Glad did I live and gladly die,
And I laid me down with a will.
This be the verse you grave for me:
Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
The ashes of his wife Fanny Stevenson, who died in California in 1914, were taken back by her daughter to Samoa in 1915 and buried beside her husband. The bronze plaque for Fanny bears her Samoan name 'Aolele' (Flying Cloud in Samoan).
Stevenson's estate and colonial home, Villa Vailima, is now a national museum in his honour. It is situated in the village of Vailima at the eastern foot of Mount Vaea,
Memorial & Scenic Reserve
Stevenson's memorial on Mount Vaea and more than 100 acres (0.40 km2) from the estate are protected by law in Samoa through the Stevenson Memorial Reserve and Mount Vaea Scenic Reserve Ordinance 1958.
Part of the 1958 Law states;
- Certain lands on Mount Vaea which is the resting place of Robert Louis Stevenson formerly of Vailima (known to the people of Samoa as Tusitala), and of Fanny Stevenson, his wife, has been given to the Government of Samoa by the heir of the said Fanny Stevenson as a memorial to Robert Louis Stevenson.
- The lands described...shall be known as the Stevenson Memorial Reserve and shall be maintained in perpetuity by the Government of Samoa in memory of Robert Louis Stevenson and his love for the people of Samoa.
- ....the Mount Vaea Scenic Reserve shall be maintained in perpetuity by the Government of Samoa as a scenic reserve.
- ^ "Mount Vaea". Geonames. http://www.geonames.org/4034942/mount-vaea.html. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
- ^ a b Albert Wendt, Robert Louis Stevenson, Roger Robertson (2004). Robert Louis Stevenson; his best Pacific writings. University of Queensland Press. p. 318. ISBN 070223429X. http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=lhOcOJNZuDUC&pg=PA318&dq=Fanny+Stevenson+ashes+Mount+Vaea&hl=en&ei=g0wsTPbNFcG88ga34siTDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
- ^ a b "Mount Vaea". Samoa Travel Guide. http://www.samoa.southpacific.org/apia/mountvaea.html. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
- ^ Terry, Reginald Charles (1996). Robert Louis Stevenson: interviews and recollections. University of Iowa Press. p. 207. ISBN 0877455120. http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=EE29rkc7DM0C&pg=PA207&dq=Fanny+Stevenson+ashes+Mount+Vaea&hl=en&ei=g0wsTPbNFcG88ga34siTDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
- ^ "Stevenson Memorial Reserve and Mount Vaea Scenic Reserve Ordinance 1958". Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute. http://www.paclii.org/ws/legis/consol_act/smramvsro1958612/. Retrieved 1 July 2010.
Robert Louis Stevenson Books Novels Short story
Short storiesStory of the Young Man with the Cream Tarts (1878) · Story of the Physician and the Saratoga Trunk (1878) · The Adventure of the Hansom Cab (1878) · Story of the Bandbox (1878) · Story of the Young Man in Holy Orders (1878) · Story of the House with the Green Blinds (1878) · The Adventure of Prince Florizel and a Detective (1878) · The Pavilion on the Links (1880) · The Merry Men (1882) · The Body Snatcher (1884) · Markheim (1885) · Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1886) · The Bottle Imp (1891) · The Beach of Falesá (1892) · The Isle of Voices (1893) Poetry Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Vaea Hotel Samoa — (Апиа,Самоа) Категория отеля: Адрес: Togafu afu a Rd, Lalovaea,, 000 Апиа, Самоа … Каталог отелей
Mont Vaea — Vue le mont Vaea du village Lepea près d Apia. Géographie Altitude 472 m … Wikipédia en Français
R. L. Stevenson — Fotoporträt Robert Louis Stevensons aus den 1890er Jahren Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson (* 13. November 1850 in Edinburgh; † 3. Dezember 1894 in Vailima, nahe Apia, Samoa) war ein schottischer Schriftsteller des … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert L. Stevenson — Fotoporträt Robert Louis Stevensons aus den 1890er Jahren Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson (* 13. November 1850 in Edinburgh; † 3. Dezember 1894 in Vailima, nahe Apia, Samoa) war ein schottischer Schriftsteller des … Deutsch Wikipedia
Robert Louis Stevenson — Porträt Robert Louis Stevenson, 1892, Gemälde von Girolamo Nerli, National Galleries of Scotland Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson (* 13. November 1850 in Edinburgh; † 3. Dezember 1894 in Vailima, nahe Apia, Samoa) war ein … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mulinu'u — A historical photo of Mulinu u showing oval Samoan fale. (photo taken between 1893 1949) … Wikipedia
Apia — /ah pee ah, ah pee ah /, n. a seaport in and the capital of Western Samoa, on N Upolu. 30,593. * * * Seaport town (pop., 2001: 38,836) and capital, Samoa. It lies on the northern coast of Upolu Island. Its economy centres on the export of goods… … Universalium
Apia — Apia, population 58,800 (2001), is the capital of the Independent State of Samoa. The city is located on the northern coast of Upolu Island. It is the nation s major port and only city. Fish and copra are the country s major exports, and cotton… … Wikipedia
Treasure Island — For other uses, see Treasure Island (disambiguation). Treasure Island … Wikipedia
Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde — Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde redirects here. For other uses, see Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (disambiguation). Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde … Wikipedia